poopy Bum

linni

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sometimes - well more often than not - our cat trots out of the litter box with a poopy bum. If we notice him right away we clean it off. He's a gentle cat and doesn't mind. He's an indoor cat.

It bothers me that he seems to take so long to groom himself and clean up after using the litter box. (I always wonder how many things in the house has he sat on before we notice!)

Is this normal? He's a loving cat in every other way. 2 years old and we've had him since the spring. Do the rest of you have to clean up their poopy bums?

lin

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My kitten still refuses to groom his butt. My other cat, who has taken over as a pseudo parent, usually has to be the one to groom him. I have also had to use baby wipe to clean up after him. I'm not sure there's much you can do at 2 years old, it just sounds like your cat is lazy. Maybe if you are persistant and clean right after he uses the box, he will get the hint and do it himself

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Are his stools very soft or runny?
My cat Wiggies used to have constant diarrhea and we would always have to grab the poor guy when we saw him coming out of the box, and wipe his butt. We'd keep a special flannel nearby just for that.
So glad his stools hardened up like a normal cat's and now we don't have to worry at all.
If your cat's poop is soft enough to stick to his behind like that, I would suggest some more fibre in his diet to firm them up.

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pushylady

Are his stools very soft or runny?
My cat Wiggies used to have constant diarrhea and we would always have to grab the poor guy when we saw him coming out of the box, and wipe his butt. We'd keep a special flannel nearby just for that.
So glad his stools hardened up like a normal cat's and now we don't have to worry at all.
If your cat's poop is soft enough to stick to his behind like that, I would suggest some more fibre in his diet to firm them up.
Hmmm... that's interesting. My kitten does have soft stools as well, but not overly soft to where I was worried about worms or anything. What can I add to his diet for more fiber?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

linni

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They're pretty soft. They have always been this way. We feed him Purina Pro Plan for INdoor Cats - what fiber should they be eating?

lin

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jack stresses out easily and causes his stools to get loose. Because he is long hair, we shave his butt.

Anything from a bad rain storm, to someone new visiting, to his daily routine changing will give him the soft stools.

I too am always worried about what he touches, so the shaving prevents the issues.

Leslie

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Our Rainbow Banshee had rather long hair around her butt. And she was a chunky kitty, too, so it was hard for her to clean. She'd clean for awhile, but then she'd give up and just flop.

DH and I got into the habit of washing her butt for her. That girl was so trusting she'd pretty much let us do anything to her. I'd pick her up and we'd head back to the bathroom where DH was waiting with a warm little-soapy washcloth (yes, she had her own washcloths). I'd hold Banshee in my arms and DH would carefully wash her butt. And she'd just lay in my arms and purr and purr the whole time. He'd rinse her off well to get rid of the soap, then he'd dry her well. I'd put her down and off she'd go. Til the next time.

Banshee got to the point sometimes where, if she thought she needed her butt cleaned, she'd come to me and start to meow at me. I'd lift her tail and....yep, butt-cleaning time!

That girl was utterly and completely spoiled.