Pooping outside the box

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, cat psychologists, here's one for you: One of my cats (at least I think it's only one) has started going just outside the box. Not sure which one, but I think it's my little girl. My cats have had dietary changes related to supply-side problems and developed some diarrhea, which seems to have cleared up in the past day or so, when I temporarily changed them to all dry food. She generally uses the box where the problem is and she seems to be the one that had the most trouble with diarrhea.

I have heard that cats sometimes stop using a box when they have elimination problems, the reasoning being they start associating the box with their troubles. I think this may be the trouble in my case. Do you agree, or should I look for another reason? If you agree, what do you think I might do to stop this behavior?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always recommend a vet visit before trying to address behavior problems. A lot of times the two are related with a health issue causing the behavior problem. Now which cat? You can put crayon shavings in their food (not too much if you don't want more poop problems); a different color for each cat. The next bomb you scoop outside the box, use a plastic baggie to scoop it, seal it up, and squish around until you find some shavings. Match the color to the cat.

Another option is a poop cam. You can pick up a mini Blink for $20.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07X6C9RMF/?tag=thecatsite

This is courtesy of a D-Link. They have cameras the size and shape of a salt shaker that are small and light enough to use 3M Command strips to secure them in place. Krista was either having lymphoma or clostridium infection at this time and thus three boxes for one cat.
View media item 423358

In the meantime, you could try to add an extra box if she (presuming its her) has developed an aversion.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the advice. I didn't know about the crayon shaving method!

sunny578

Mom to an inappropriate urinator
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I didn't know about the crayon shaving method either! Good one!

Have you been able to get them their regular food, or is it still out of stock? If she was going outside of the box bc of stomach upset, it might take her even more time to stop pooping outside of it.

Where have her accidents been? Right next to the litter box? And, what is your litter box set up? How many do you have? Where are they located? Are they hoodless?

If she doesn't go back to her box after her food situation has settled, I would start by rethinking the litter box set up. Your answer might be as simple as getting another litter box and putting it right where her accidents have been. Or, you might try some new litter options.

If neither the dietary changes or the additional litter box solve your problem, please let us know! I have lots of ideas for this sort of thing.

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been giving them dry food almost exclusively for four days or so. The diarrhea seems to have stopped. The food problems seem to have been due to feeding them Thanksgiving ham that had been frozen. I was trying to stretch out the existing wet food because of local shortages, and the ham, being greasy, caused the diarrhea. At least that's what I think.

Accidents have been right around the box. Some of it ooks more like it was tracked out, rather than deposited there. One or two of them must have been pooped there, though. I haven't seen any new poopsters since they've been eating dry food.

Box in question is in the common room between the two bedrooms upstairs, in a corner next to the cabinet holding my computer printer. I turned it 90 degrees from its normal orientation in the past month (but I've moved the boxes from room to room before and there weren't any problems). Two boxes, both upstairs, one in the bathroom, about 10 feet from the other. There haven't been any problems with the box in the bathroom. The boxes are the usual ones I get from the big box pet store, and have an extended rim, but aren't covered.

sunny578

Mom to an inappropriate urinator
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It sounds like the problem is solved for now then? That's great! If is starts up again, you might consider adding another box somewhere else, but it sounds like you are in a good place for now.