Pooping outside the box

kittiei

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know there's been many threads on this and I've posted about this before but I've tried everything and I'm at a loss. I have two 6-year old female cats (sisters), Pansy and Tulip. My bf and I moved into a new house at the beginning of August. Tulip has always occassionally pooped outside the box (for probably the last 3 years), any health problems have been ruled out. She seemed to do it before when I was away overnight. When we moved, she was doing every morning on the concrete right outside her box. Other than that, she seems to love the house (so much more space than my one-bedroom condo).

I cleaned the spots with an enzyme cleaner, I tried using Cat Attract litter. Using that litter seemed to help for a day or two. They have two litter boxes, I scoop them every morning. It doesn't seem to matter how dirty the boxes are, she always does it in the morning. I thought we had figured out the problem because she seemed to stop doing it for a while.

We recently adopted a puppy. We put up a baby gate at the top of the stairs so our cats have the entire basement and the next level up (we have a 4-level split), which is the family room, to go without being harrassed by the dog. Since then, Tulip has been pooping outside the box again. I've been working on introducing them to the puppy slowly but everytime the dog goes near them, they hiss (even through the gate). The puppy just wants to play so if the gate isn't up, she chases the cats.

Anyway, I bought a feliway difuser for the basement (near their boxes) and some more Cat Attract litter. This helped for a day or two but she's still doing it. I'm at a loss. I don't know what's left to do. I feel guilty if I have to go away and ask someone to come feed them because they will, no doubt, have to clean up poop off the floor...and no one wants to do that.

Any suggestions? I know she's probably stressed with all the changes this year. Maybe I need another box, or to try and spend more time with them? Pansy seems fine, no changes in her behavior at all.

Thanks.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, add another box. Add two more boxes. Large ones. Maybe she feels she needs more room.

The feliway plug in diffuser is good, in the basement, but not next to the litter boxes, put it on the other side of the room

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, three boxes... Also make sure they are big, uncovered, and in a safe and quiet place. Keep using the cat attract litter.
Is this cat declawed by any chance?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittiei

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is not declawed. The boxes are big and uncovered, I tried the covered ones when she was little but she is a big cat (she was overweight but she's lost a lot since the vet put her on a diet, she's just a big cat) so she eventually grew out of them. I will go get a third box tonight with some more litter and see if that helps.

No, she is not overhanging. She's actually going about a foot from the box. I have a mat under the boxes to catch the extra litter and she steps just off the mat and goes on the concrete. I can't say for sure if she tries in the box first and then gets out or if she just doesn't bother getting in.

Thanks everyone.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Besides the advice above, I've also read that setting up a consistent play/interaction time, especially with all the changes going on, can help. Also, try to greet the resident cats first (before puppy) - keep reassuring them that they're #1, even though everything around them has been changing so much.

Also, I always keep music playing very softly when I'm not home - I use new agey type music, but I've read light classical or harp music is cat friendly as well.

Are her poops nice and firm?

timeforaction

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My goodness, I am the gal watching my son's cat (and have posted a few times with other questions), and NOW I notice that she has taken to pooping on the carpet (I have found a few piles well away from the litter boxes. I thought that was it, but heard her 'scratching' in the rec room, and at first I thought she was just playing, but then I noticed a wet spot. That really worries me, as the poop is obviously easier to clean up.

I have been using corn (crumbles) llitter (which I love) and she has seemed fine with it the two months she has been here. I 'did' add a little bit of scented powdered deodorizer. Could it be as simple as this? As such, , I am cleaning out the litter boxes, and adding fresh litter. I am also thinking of leaving her in a room by herself with the litter box for a while. I just hope she doesn't poop on the couch on something!

And noting the questions above, she is not declawed. She is quite rambunctious with the other cat, which is normally quite passive. The more comfortable she gets in the house, the more-so this is the case. She is due to be spayed on the 24t of November.

Any thoughts?

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TimeForAction

I 'did' add a little bit of scented powdered deodorizer. Could it be as simple as this?

Any thoughts?
Yep, their noses are more sensitive than ours. If no one has yet suggested Cat Attract litter try some of that. She may have decided she doesn't love the corn litter after all. I know my crew has changed it's mind once or twice over the years. Also, a vet check is always a really good idea for cats who've been using a box but suddenly stop. Sometimes that's the only sign you'll have of illness. They're very good at hiding it and sometimes we're quick to blame behavior when it's really medical.

timeforaction

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am going to treat the areas with the enzyme cleaner I just bought, and I have replaced the litter I scented. I also added another litter box upstairs. I am hoping I don't have to switch the type of litter, as I think it is more environmentally friendly than clay based litters, which I hear Cat Attract uses as its base. I also found clay a nightmare to clean up due to the dust, etc. There isn't any kind of 'additive' that serves the same purpose, I suppose? (That would be too easy, wouldn't it!?)

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also recommend Cat Attract litter - and, in the end, it's whatever litter that kitty likes that counts. You might try the Cat Attract additive with your preferred litter, but I'd honestly set up a buffet of litter boxes, including actual Cat Attract litter, and see what's popular. Also, what type of box are you using...the kind she liked before?

If nothing else, go back to the litter she was using originally - sometimes cats try to use a litter they hate, but they'll almost always stop.

PS - vet check always a good idea when box issues arise - and your girl has been under a good amount of stress, which can trigger physical/urinary issues.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I am going to treat the areas with the enzyme cleaner I just bought, and I have replaced the litter I scented. I also added another litter box upstairs. I am hoping I don't have to switch the type of litter, as I think it is more environmentally friendly than clay based litters, which I hear Cat Attract uses as its base. I also found clay a nightmare to clean up due to the dust, etc. There isn't any kind of 'additive' that serves the same purpose, I suppose? (That would be too easy, wouldn't it!?)
Yes Dr Elsey's cat attract also makes an additive if you don't want to switch the litter.

Precious Cat Ultra Litter Attractant

kittiei

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've tried the Cat Attract litter additive and it didn't do any good. The litter is way better. I've mixed the Cat Attract litter with their regular stuff and added a new box and that seems to have fixed the problem! She hasn't pooped on the floor since I added the new box. Yay!

In answer to darlili's question, actually her poops outside the box are generally a little runny, in the box they seem fine though...

I'd love to greet the cats first when I get home but unfortunately, we lock the puppy up in the front foyer while we're gone so she's *right* there when I come in the door. I'm trying harder to go visit with the cats though. And the puppy and Tulip have interacted a bit more, even though that interaction seems to end with Tulip hissing and swatting...oh well, I'm sure things will calm down eventually.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only time my boy has pooped outside the box was when they were much softer than normal - still undecided whether he was trying to show me something was wrong, or that it hurt when he was in the box, and he blamed the box - or both.

And good news on your litter box front - believe me, there's been many a day I crossed my fingers just hoping no little 'accidents' had occurred. I truly do believe that in most cases, it's either physical or something about the box and/or litter is just not right.

timeforaction

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ah shucks, that is disappointing to hear, re. the additive not working for you. I just has a local pet supply store order some in special for me. (I want to try it before the bigger step of changing the type of litter I use.)

Anyone else have experiences to share about their use of the additive, as compared to the Cat Attract litter.

And by the way, these forums are wonderful.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Ah shucks, that is disappointing to hear, re. the additive not working for you. I just has a local pet supply store order some in special for me. (I want to try it before the bigger step of changing the type of litter I use.)

Anyone else have experiences to share about their use of the additive, as compared to the Cat Attract litter.

And by the way, these forums are wonderful.
About your worry with Cat Attract litter and the dust... It is not dusty at all, just so you know... It really REALLY works, IMHO totally worthy a try.
I use the same brand, Dr. Elsey's, but the Precious cat, the one for cats who don't have litter problems - it is fantastic. Whenever the store is out of it I buy cat attract. I can pour the litter standing up and feel no dust whatsoever in the process.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you added the extra boxes? Four boxes. Keep them clean.

And..don't dismiss health. She may be having constipation problems. Cats who have trouble pooping blame the box, and go elsewhere.

What are you feeding?

timeforaction

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I actually keep them very clean, twice daily. As to the cat food, I have her on a Purina product (dry) Healthful Living I think it is called.

I have three boxes at the moment (2 cats). I am running out of room as to where to put them if I were to add any more. Being environmental, I do have some issues with using clay based litter. I swear that our last cat, Caramel, got cancer in her mouth from constantly licking her feet. I just didn't want to take that chance again, and the reviews (and my experience with the corn litter until quite recently with this cat) was very good. Oddly, she was fine for the first two months. I notice she is really skittish and nervous. My dog likes to 'separate' the cats when they get rough-housing. This one is a little 'antagonizer' so I think Kiara (the dog) thinks she is protecting the other cat, which is her buddy.

I have ordered some Cat Attract additive and am going to try that first. I am also putting the cat in a separate room at night with a litter box, so she has some quiet time. She seems to be perfectly fine with that, much to my surprise. I thought she might be clawing at my door all night.

And on Wednesday, she is getting spayed as long as she does not go back into heat, so I am curious whether that might also help with her behaviourisms.

timeforaction

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It just occurred to me that it must be confusing for people (including Kittiei who actually started this thread), as I added in a comment/question myself, which distracts away from the info asked in the original posting. My apologies!

kittiei

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No problem, adding a third box has totally resolved my problem. Hopefully it stays that way. I hope you're able to resolve your issue as well!

timeforaction

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I too tried the cat attract additive over the past week, and the cat does not seem impressed. Woe is me that she prefers the clay litter. I have been so happy with the corn. Sigh.

Butters is also now a spayed kitty. Poor thing. But she is coming along nicely. They really don't know enough to slow down though. I had to really keep her contained to prevent her from trying to jump, etc.

I hope she 'calms' down some now that she is spayed and the territorial terrorizing lessens. : )