Pooping outside of the box

berfy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have four cats: 12 year old female, 3 year old female, 15 month old male & 10 month old female. All are spayed/neutered, and all are indoor. I have two litter boxes. I recently went on vacation for two weeks. I left a different brand of clumping litter for changes while I was gone as the regular was unavailable. While I was gone, one of the kitties started pooping in front of the larger litter box. I don't know for sure who is doing it, but suspect the male as he is the only one that tries to cover it. I switched back to their old litter when I returned, and took the cover off of the larger box. (Thought he might feel cramped). Still pooping on the floor - any ideas? The new litter was highly scented, and I thought that might be the problem. Maybe I should wash the box?

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Before we even get to the problem at hand, you should have 5 litter boxes. The rule is one for each cat plus one extra.

It sounds like you leaving + different litter was the straw that broke the camels back. I would uber clean the two you have, go back to the litter you had before and invest in three more boxes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

berfy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I put one more litter box down (all I had), and nothing. Started scooping twice a day, and presto! No more poo on the floor. Apparently three boxes + twice a day scoopings = six litter boxes!