Pooping on bed?

catpurr10

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all, my cat is currently 14 years old.  Good health except a case of crystals a couple of years ago when we switched him to tap water briefly (we had always fed distilled water).

We noticed he has recently been pooping on the bed (which is the same area where he sleeps). Since he was young he has always been very good about peeing and pooping in the litter box. Has anyone observed similar issues with their cat?

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you had him checked out with the vet?  At his age and because it's where he sleeps; a vet check is where I would start.  Cat's can do this for a number of reasons.  I have one that gets a bit constipated from time to time and will leave a little present behind.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catpurr10

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks Moonchnnoodles. We haven't gone to the vet yet as it is a very traumatic experience for us and I also worry it does even more damage to him by stressing him out so much. The vets have a hard time keeping him down and one time he struggled so much one of his claws got pulled off. Very traumatising.

So I just want to get some insights from other cat owners first to see whether they have gone through this before and are there any behaviour explainable reasons (not so much health issues I hope)? Anything I can try?

Thanks!

I'm just thinking - how would the vet diagnose what is wrong with this behaviour? I guess

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catpurr10

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just noticed some more odd behavior ....

Forgetful, not drinking from his plate and sipping from the shower, stepping into the wet shower floor (which he usually doesn't like) - overall just seems like he's forgotten his old habits.

Is this a result of old age? Do cats become forgetful and possible dementia like humans?

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats can get dementia, but I am sure illness might cause similar symptoms? Is he ok otherwise?

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As for the vet, can you ask the vet for a dose of kitty Valium to be given before the visit? Not sure vets do this but might be worth it to ask.

katiekins

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cats can definitely experience cognitive dysfunction, but I agree that illness can cause the symptoms you're seeing. I think a check up is in order since it's out of character for your little guy.

My cat has severe anxiety and was seen by a mobile vet today who called in a prescription ahead of time so I could sedate her two hours before the visit. It was the best and most thorough examination ever! Katie was calm and we got a lot done without her being upset and stressed out as she usually is. I would ask your vet. With Katie, no amount of Feliway would help her calm down - she needed a prescription. She's eaten a ton and is now zonked out looking like a stoner, lol.