pooping cat

louiseg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there....i have two cats...flik 6 months and cleo 4 months...recently cleo has been pooping on my carpet in the lounge room....she has only started doing this since we got our puppy 3 weeks ago!! She always used the litter box before...its only now!!! I know its celo as my fiancè caught her in the act....what do i do??

cat person

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is that location (lounge room carpet) the place, that, the new puppy is urinating and defecating? If so, the cat, is defecating outside the litter box because it is "counter marking" or "marking over" the dog. If, this is the case, then, I would just clean the area, with a "good enzymatic" cleaner. You will have many choices, in enzymatic cleans. The one, that, I like the best is Nature's Miricale- Just for cats. It can be seen here: http://www.natures-miracle.com/prod...n-odor-remover-get-rid-of-cat-odor-urine.aspx.

Now, if, the cat is suddenly doing that and the puppy is NOT HAVING "accidents", I would recommend, that, you bring the cat to a licensed veterinarian you trust. If, the vet determines that the cat DOES NOT have a medical issue, then, I have some other recommendations

Last edited:

sugarcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
How much free range does the puppy have? Is it possible he's harassing the cats while they use the box, or otherwise making it difficult for them to access it sometimes?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

louiseg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well we have been to the vet not to long ago and nothing was said...i honestly dont think it is something health related...she is otherwise in great spirits (playing, eating, drinking) and she uses the litter sometimes....?!?!?! The dog isnt in the house for the most part....but the cat can see the dog from the window where she has been doing her business?!

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How many litter boxes do you have? Are they open or enclosed? How often do you scoop/clean them?

One suggestion is to move a litter box to where she pooped. If she uses it, gradually move the box back to where you want it.

Did you thoroughly clean the pooped on area with an enzyme cleaner?

Also, you can try Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract litter. A Feliway diffuser is always good for multi-pet households.

louiseg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hi there,

we have a self cleaning enclosed litter box....that i clean at least twice a day! we have used several different types of litter box's....she never seemed to have any problem's with any of them?! i was thinking that maybe now that the two kittie's are getting larger they may not want to use the same little box?! we have also tried different types of litter....crystals, clumping, recycled paper....again nothing seems to bother her.

granted e do only have one litter box, but they have both been using this since we got them.

we cleaned the area thoroughly (to be honest not sure what an enzyme cleaner is LOL) we used disinfectant and lemon juice?!

louiseg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
also to answer some more questions :)

she does poop and pee in the litter box SOMETIMES! she's mainly pooping on the carpet....?!?!?!

she was checked by a vet about 2 weeks ago when she was due for her last vaccination. we will be going back NEXT friday for our other cat to get her stitch's out.

we were thinking that maybe we should try and block her from seeing outside the window where the dog is....but that's a bit hard considering we don't have curtains as we've just moved into our house a few months ago.

i honestly don't know what to do?! i don't want to get rid of her but i can't keep cleaning poop.....i'm paranoid enough as it is that my house smells of "cat"

i have never had cats before.....my fiance has, but they have always been outdoor cats. we want to eventually put the cat's out but that in itself freaks me out as i'm scared they wont come home?!

HELP!!!!

mrsmcfadden

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would suggest getting 2 more litter boxes. They recommend number of cats plus 1 litterbox. So in your case 3. :) good luck!

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
An enzyme cleaner - Nature's Miracle or Nok Out are good ones.

Definitely get at least one more litter box, a non self-cleaning one. Some cats do not like those.

Feliway pheromone diffuser is good for multi-pet households.

If you're considering letting them outside, please make sure they are spayed first.

louiseg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
just brought some carpet enzyme cleaner stuff and some cat repellent for fabric and carpet!!

also introduced another litter tray...........if this doesn't work i have no idea what to do!!

fingers and toe's crossed!!

if anyone has any other idea's PLEASE let me know!