Pooping at the side of litter tray

dianneh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I'm asking for a friend. She adopted 2 kittens from me august time, at 8 weeks old and fully litter trained.
Anyway about a month ago one of them started pooping on the floor near the tray!

It's not because the tray is dirty, or because he won't share with his brother as he still uses it to wee.

Anyone have any ideas?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Huh,,,has she changed litters?  And they may be getting to the age when they don't want to share boxes.  That can happen, even if they were happily sharing before.  Rule of thumb is 1 box per cat, plus 1 box.  With two kittens, she really should have three.

SeventhHeaven

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tarp or heavy plastic underneath litter boxes ;)   wait until they are doing the deed,  box maybe to small,  backing up to far or corner poopers , ledge pooper 
   If box isn't entirely clean that can have effect on some as well. 

You are supposed to have a box per kitty rule but mine have always shared never had any issues as long as it's clean they are good to go.

2 boxes or one very large one is ample for 2 . Articles listed above about  training and litter boxes may help you. 

Last edited:

moorspede

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

dianneh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your replies [emoji]128522[/emoji] I will pass them onto my friend.
All I can think is maybe the box is too small and Alfie doesn't want to share anymore.
Have a lovely Christmas [emoji]127876[/emoji]