POOP!

savethemoms

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Has anyone had any issues with goat milk? What kind is safe when you don't have access to freash milk? Duke had to really push last night to poop and after there was a little blood. I stopped the goat milk which I had been mixing with the formula 50/50. Today a few of the kittens don't seem quite right. Can I give small amount of melted butter or Hairball treatment to help them poop? I plan on sticking with just formula, I had no problems until I started the goat milk. I just hope I haven't killed anyone from ignorance :( I can't take them to the vet right now, I spent all my savings I dare touch on them already. Any suggestions?

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never had trouble with goats milk, fresh or canned, and I have used it several times in circumstances where kitten formula was not available. I would be careful about butter, there may be salt in it and it is based on cows milk, which is not good. If they are doing OK on the formula then keep them on that, but make sure they have water as well so they don't get dehydrated.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

savethemoms

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
At what age should I start giving water? My kittens are not yet 3 weeks old. No butter, got it! I am sticking with just formula now. But I don't know what to do about the constipation? If kittens are getting sick from fleas, what symptoms do they show? Thanks to my roommate I have seen a few on the kittens and notice them starting to itch. I can't get any flea meds for 3 weeks.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Some try to somewhat dilute the formula (and even dilute goat milk a little). This way you make safe they got extra water, and do a try to lessen of the constipation problems.

The problem is you dont want to dilute too much, not to risk they get too little of this formula / goat milk.

What sort of goat milk do you use?  As I understand, goat milk is more problem free than many formulas. But I did read on a polish forum, they were happy with one brand of "ready made" goat milk, but could have problems with one another brand.  So I suppose it is possible to destroy this fine product.   Raw goat milk is best if you can get it, but "ready made" is OK too - usually!   Im sorry you do have problems with it...

Fleas yes.  If the problem gets grave, you see it they are anemic. Gums etc gets more pale than usual.  They also get weakish, of course...  

Anyway, you can try and carefully bathe them with Dawn soap. Several times if need be. Make sure they dont get chilled down.   It helps quite a lot, often even good enough.

Good luck!

Last edited:

savethemoms

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you Stefanz! I will do on the baths. I have not seen many fleas, but I have noticed those symptoms. I didn't know if it was flea related because I was having these other problems. It may not be the goat milk, or maybe I just wasn't adding enough water. Its canned goat milk. 50% condensed. Not good!! By tonight they seemed happier already. I just got a little upset when I saw blood! Duke still isn't 100% yet but he is playing more then before. No more walking in circles and crying.

savethemoms

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you Stefanz! I will do on the baths. I have not seen many fleas, but I have noticed those symptoms. I didn't know if it was flea related because I was having these other problems. It may not be the goat milk, or maybe I just wasn't adding enough water. Its canned goat milk. 50% condensed. Not good!! By tonight they seemed happier already. I just got a little upset when I saw blood! Duke still isn't 100% yet but he is playing more then before. No more walking in circles and crying.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since there are fleas on the kittens they are busy laying eggs which drop off into the environment.  Change their bedding, discard the old or wash it hot - 60C - vacuum like mad and as soon as you can afford to get a good safe effective treatment for the house - the eggs, larvae and pupae can hang on for ages.  Do NOT get Hartz or similar pet shop products - they vary from ineffective to dangerous.  More info here, it gives the correct names for the active ingredients so should be useful in the US as well as the UK - and other countries as well.

http://www.fabcats.org/owners/fleas/info.html
 I can't get any flea meds for 3 weeks.
I'm assuming money is the reason for this.  You also need to be thinking about treating against roundworm, which gets transferred in the mothers milk.

http://www.fabcats.org/owners/worming/info.html

Unfortunately Milbemax isn't available in the US, not sure about Panacur which is what is used in the UK for small kittens.

savethemoms

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use Revolution, which I have mailed from the UK. That's why I can't get it for 3 weeks :) I have been doing the vacuum, and today I have given all Kittens baths with dish soap. I change their bedding once a day, should I be doing it more often? I pick fleas off if I see them. I'm in the middle of moving and last thing I want is for fleas to fallow us. So I'm being as aggressive as I dare at this point :-). Two of the kittens have started using the litter box which surprised me lol I haven't seen anymore blood in poop, so I must have been making the KMR too strong. I have added more water and they are doing much better. =:-D The kittens are staring to "go" on their own so I have been liter box training even tho it's early.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you can give Capstar at this age (Hmm, I just looked up their website and they updated the minimum to 2 pounds/4 weeks (only for big puppies, I guess!). But maybe that's for the whole pill, using a teensy bit could be OK, I have done it, back when they said any kitten over 4 weeks). Good stuff, I buy it on Amazon. Just break off a little bit of a pill for babies. Or crush it and add a bit of the powder to their formula/food.

Revolution isn't supposed to be used on kittens under 8 weeks.

savethemoms

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you, I'll check into that! I use the Revolution on mom only normally and the kittens get a safe amount threw the milk. But Revolution has s kitten one for 2 pounds and up. Sense the kittens are now over a pound a piece I can split the dose between two kittens. It is safe up to 10Xs the prescribed dose, so I probably don't need to, but that's how I do it. And they will be 5 weeks before the meds get here. I have been giving them baths for now.