Poop stuck on butt, not fur

karagraaf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, my kitty, an American bobtail who is pregnnat (6-8 weeks.. not sure, we just rescued her while pregnant) seems to always have poop stuck on her butt. It's on the skin, not her fur. And once it looked a bit raw and bloody but the next day it was scabby but still with some dried poop on her skin. I try to gentle wipe with a wet wipe but of course she hates that and also it doesn't really come off and I don't want to force it. I don't want to stick her bum in water with her being so pregnant, and freak her out!

I'm not so sure if it's a pregnant related thing because when we first got her she was barely showing and still had poop on her butt. But now it seems like she can't reach to clean herself so I imagine it will get even worse.

What can I do to help her? It looks like dried poop stuck to her skin at all times, it can't be comfortable.

haileey23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hmm.. I used to have a kitty that did that and to make cleaning easier and less stressful, I cut the hair near her butt shorter. Less poop will stick if you do it, and it will be easier to clean. Though I don't know the temperature around you. If she goes outside quite a bit you may not want to do that.

The hair is there to keep things from getting near those valuable holes. If you do clip it, you'd have to clean around it every day or debris might pile up and create a larger problem. I'd wait to hear what others say because I'm no where near as experienced as they are!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

karagraaf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's actually on her skin, not on any hair it's partly a scab from her skin being irritated (I think) and part dried poop.to be honest, I can't really figure it out what Is going in back there but it's definatly right on her butt, stuck to skin, like her actual anus. (I hate to get so technical, but I kind of have to:)

haileey23

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Awww poor girl! Don't know what could've caused that. I'm having the same problem with a kitten. I'll research a bit more and come back if I find anything useful! Not a fun situation. :(

petcrazy76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have that problem with my 13 year old. I think partly he has trouble reaching because he's a big guy. I don't know how big your girl is, if that could be part of it. It does stick to skin and not fur. Sometimes my little one will clean him up, but I don't think he can on his own.

petcrazy76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have read an old post on this site about this. One thing that was brought up was diet. Does she have mushy poo or is it firm? If it's mushy that will make her dirtier and you may need to adjust her diet.

Another person suggested using the mist setting on a water bottle and giving her a light spray on the butt. If she can reach then she should clean the water off and hopefully get the poop with it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

karagraaf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Her poop seems normal, looks wise, I never tried mushing it to see if it's mushy though! Usually when I see it it's in kitty litter, and hard, so it's hard I say.
As far as the misting, I read that too but at this moment she doesn't seem to be able to reach anymore. She tried after I attempted I wipe her bottum with a wet wipe. I didn't think she was that big but I guess she is.

I'll further investigate her poop. She will usually has a ball of poop about the size of a marble stuck on her skin. :/ yuck.

Is this vet worthy?

petcrazy76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If it was mushy I think you would notice. It's obvious for my cats. Will she let you hold a wet cloth on her butt? I know she won't like it but if she will tolerate it that would loosen the poop so you don't have to scrub. Does it look like any poop is stuck in her anus? If so I would definitely take her in. That could be problems with her anal glands. Not sure how that works for a cat but it's a quick (disgusting) squeeze for dogs. Also I don't know that a dirty but is normally worth a vet visit but since she is sore and scabbing it is definitely worth a call to the vet at least. She could so easily get an infection if her wound is always dirty.