Poop problems :(

fairithm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys, I just made an account for this, but I've been lurking here a lot. I couldn't find a topic similar to this so I thought I'd just create one.

My 3 month old kitten has had soft stools since Wednesday. They kind of firmed up a bit on Thursday morning and she got her first vaccine on that day as well. However, the poop went soft again. It's not like watery diarrhea, it sort of has the consistency of mayonnaise. Yesterday evening she pooped out a HUGE load and it came out in soft turds, but they held their shape really well and I was so happy. This morning the poop was soft again. At least the first part was. It's like.... the first half of the poop is very soft and maybe a bit watery, but the other half is a nicely formed turd.

Should I be concerned? She plays a lot, eats a lot and is not dehydrated ( I did the gum and the neck scruff test) Although she doesn't like water, so I have to mix it with half a tsp of KMR so it has some sort of flavour. Also, we've given her some Pro-Kolin 3 times a day since Saturday.

She shouldn't have any worms, parasites or bacteria. When she was 2 months old, she spent almost a week at the hospital due to severe diarrhea and vomiting. She got on antibiotics, everything seemed fine, the vet ran some more blood tests, infection markers were up, she got on her second round of antibiotics plus we've given her dewormers like.. 5-7 times, I guess? The vet also did a poop test, no parasites were found. 

I don't know what to do. She acts like herself, is very hyper and has no problems with eating, but she poops weird poop 3 times a day :( I called the vet, they said to give Pro-Kolin for a few more days and see if the poop firms up... Has anyone's cat ever had this sort of... half-and-half poop? It shouldn't be normal, right? Thanks in advance.

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS!

I'm wondering if she could have a food sensitivity/mild allergy?  My friend's cat in sensitive to any food with corn in it.

reikitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Vaccines can cause running poop... so that might be why they got worse again.

Kittens and poop... the story of my life. :)

As long as she's eating and gaining weight this shouldn't be to urgent of an issue.

It sounds like shes kind of had a rough start to life and lots of medications and de-wormers. (alot, usually you only deworm every 2-3 weeks)

I'd keep her on that probiotic for a little longer. With everything she's been through sounds like her tummy might be screwy. You may also want to give her small amounts of canned pumpkin to firm up the stools.

IF she's not dehydrated I'd stop giving her the KMR. The richness and extra water from it could be giving her the runs. Kittens do drink water... just tiny tiny amounts of it. If she starts showing signs of being dehydrated start the KMR and water up again... but she's really old enough she doesn't need any longer.

After you stop the KMR and completed the probiotic, if she still has an upset tummy then look into changing her food slowly.

I deal with foster kittens and it drives me batty dealing with poo issues... I'm so happy to see a normal poop!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fairithm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the suggestions, I haven't given her any KMR since yesterday.

Well, the good news is that she pooped only twice yesterday, once during the night (idk exactly when) and once at around 2 pm. Now it's 8.30 am and she just pooed half an hour ago. The last two poops have both been more or less normal although I think they should still be firmer and a bit less soft. We still have a vet appointment for tomorrow morning and I think we'll go there anyway just in case.

When her poop's been normal for a while I might look in to changing her diet, but she's a fussy eater and doesn't really want anything else but the brand she's used to eating (we give her Animonda Carny).