Poop outside litter box - very odd

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
to TCS! The first thing you should try is adding a second litter box - some cats require one for "#1" and another for "#2".

catfan1987

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there!

I just had this same problem with my cat. 1.5 years old. Had never had a problem before and all of sudden he just won't poop in the box BUT he would pee in it. I took him to vet which was a waste of time. They ran a test that just cost me a ton of money and did nothing so don't bother with that. ALWAYS look around on the internet because someone has had this problem and can advise you, that's what I did and I cured my cat!

So it seems his problem was that the pooing itself was cause him pain. I watched him like a hawk all day and when it came time that he needed to go he would get all scared like, hold himself close to the ground and cry because he knew I could see him and he didn't want to poo somewhere he knew I would get angry over. I could see he was really struggling with it. When I saw that I knew at once it wasn't a behavioral thing cause I could tell he didn't WANT to poop in the wrong place, he was just scared for some reason. Something was wrong. Once i knew that I looked online and saw that many people have cats that have an issue called megacolon. Its pretty much impossible to diagnose without doing Xrays and stuff and I'm not saying that this was the problem exactly because that's a pretty specific condition, BUT it did help me fix the problem. Check to see if your cats poo is HARD. If it is it means that it is HURTING him to poo because the poo is too hard or because there is too much in his colon building up and it hurts him to pass it through his anal hole. Your cat might not be getting enough fluids and so not enough liquid is getting to his colon making his poo really hard and uncomfortable. Cats don't really like to drink all that much I've noticed. You need to do the following:

1. Change his diet. Get him some new food- mix wet and dry and get stuff that is whole grain, low carb and with lots of fibre and protein. Add a little water to the food too just so that you can make sure they are getting lots of fluids- they need to be tricked into drinking.

2. Buy a cat stool softener... a hairball eliminator is the same kind of idea. I give him a dollop once a day but letting him eat it with his food or putting it on his paw and letting him lick it off.

Ever since I did both those things he miraculously started pooping in his box again! It was a MIRACLE. I literally do a happy dance every time now.

I really hope this helps. Again, unless your pet seems very ill I would resist taking them to the vet right away cause they will always suggest running tests that will cost you so much! The answers are all online through the help of other pet lovers :)

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS CatFan!  This thread is a few years old now so it may not see many responses now.  But thank you for sharing!  You never know when someone will find our experiences useful.  However I would like to add our disclaimer regarding seeing the vet:
 Caring for ones companion animals is a very serious responsibility, and often, in light of that concern, members will create threads seeking information from other members. While we allow and encourage expression of opinions and the recounting of personal experiences, it is the forum's official position that no online advice can ever supercede or replace the care and advice of trained medical professionals who have first hand knowledge of the individual animal's condition. We strongly urge members to refrain from advocating the practice of ignoring medical advice.

scorpgirl68

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Hi there!

I just had this same problem with my cat. 1.5 years old. Had never had a problem before and all of sudden he just won't poop in the box BUT he would pee in it. I took him to vet which was a waste of time. They ran a test that just cost me a ton of money and did nothing so don't bother with that. ALWAYS look around on the internet because someone has had this problem and can advise you, that's what I did and I cured my cat!

So it seems his problem was that the pooing itself was cause him pain. I watched him like a hawk all day and when it came time that he needed to go he would get all scared like, hold himself close to the ground and cry because he knew I could see him and he didn't want to poo somewhere he knew I would get angry over. I could see he was really struggling with it. When I saw that I knew at once it wasn't a behavioral thing cause I could tell he didn't WANT to poop in the wrong place, he was just scared for some reason. Something was wrong. Once i knew that I looked online and saw that many people have cats that have an issue called megacolon. Its pretty much impossible to diagnose without doing Xrays and stuff and I'm not saying that this was the problem exactly because that's a pretty specific condition, BUT it did help me fix the problem. Check to see if your cats poo is HARD. If it is it means that it is HURTING him to poo because the poo is too hard or because there is too much in his colon building up and it hurts him to pass it through his anal hole. Your cat might not be getting enough fluids and so not enough liquid is getting to his colon making his poo really hard and uncomfortable. Cats don't really like to drink all that much I've noticed. You need to do the following:

1. Change his diet. Get him some new food- mix wet and dry and get stuff that is whole grain, low carb and with lots of fibre and protein. Add a little water to the food too just so that you can make sure they are getting lots of fluids- they need to be tricked into drinking.

2. Buy a cat stool softener... a hairball eliminator is the same kind of idea. I give him a dollop once a day but letting him eat it with his food or putting it on his paw and letting him lick it off.

Ever since I did both those things he miraculously started pooping in his box again! It was a MIRACLE. I literally do a happy dance every time now.

I really hope this helps. Again, unless your pet seems very ill I would resist taking them to the vet right away cause they will always suggest running tests that will cost you so much! The answers are all online through the help of other pet lovers :)
I know this is an older post but can I ask what dry food you started feeding? I am currently having constipation issues with one male and I believe it is because of a "grain-free" diet.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise

I know this is an older post but can I ask what dry food you started feeding? I am currently having constipation issues with one male and I believe it is because of a "grain-free" diet.
@scorpgirl68 I doubt you will get any response as this is a very old thread.  Perhaps you may like to have a look through later forums in health or nutrition, or start your own thread?