Poop outside litter box - very odd

journey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just went into the bathroom to see that Tola pooped outside the litter box.
She has NEVER done this before since I have had her.
Yes, I did change the brand of litter, but I don't understand because she had this litter before the last one and she liked it.
I have gone from pine to World's Best, to Healthy Pet. With the pine and World's Best I did do it gradually, but from World's Best to Healthy Pet I just gave it all brand new and she was fine. Now I have done the same with Healthy Pet to World's Best again (all new, no graduation).
Do you think that is the problem? I just don't understand why she would do it now and never before...

Plus - the wierd thing is she peed in there, just not poop. I don't get it. She's not mad at me because everything has been very routine lately. Her health seems fine, she is eating/drinking normally and acting normally.

Opinions?

fluffysimba

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Okay I have went thorugh the same thing with my male persian. Excuse my grammar errors, I can't seem to type today.

My vet suggested that I get another box, fill it with a different kind of litter. I also placed this litter box in a spot where he was most giving me problems.

For now the problem has been solved. I'm not too happy about having to spend the extra money for this different litter but it's better than cleaning up poo everywhere.

So I would suggest another litter box and different litter in there, give this kitty a choice.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

journey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This is only the first day - should I wait another day and see if she does it again?

pamommyof2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitty, Galway, does this thing where she knows the litter box is her bathroom but she only likes to pee in it. She hangs her little rear over the edge and poops just outside the box. I don't know if her spatial relations are bad or she truly doesn't want to poop inside the box. I just put plastic underneath the box so I don't have to clean the carpet.

lilleah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would wait to see if she does it again. If it becomes a daily thing, then come back here and let us know..because then there might be a problem.

minerva

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a similar problem: My male has started pooping *outside* the litterbox, even though he has 3 to choose from! In the hallway, under the aquarium, yesterday he peed on a pillow that happened to be on the floor...icky!
(we thought he wanted a safe place and got him a covered box, but to no avail)
At first we were like, maybe he didn't make it there on time...but at other times he poops in the box without any problems.
Might it be that he is pissed off with the female "lurking" around cause he was a single cat before...she hits him when he tries to mount her, but most of the day she is downstairs "with Granny"[=my bf's mum] anyway and they don't clash as far as territory is concerned...I'd much appreciate any suggestions as to what might be the solution to this!

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It could signal a GI upset...

If it were me and it seemed "odd" that one of my cats pooped outside (for instance, it was not odd when Leo last pooped outside the box because I witnessed him get ambushed by Gracie when he was in the middle of going #2), they'd be going into the vet.

But that's just me.

vinvin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is about seven years old and has been going poop outside of the litter box for a while now, a few years. I just thought it was because he was taken away from his mother too early, before he learned the proper skills.

Could there be more to this problem?
Any ways to end it?

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by VinVin

My cat is about seven years old and has been going poop outside of the litter box for a while now, a few years. I just thought it was because he was taken away from his mother too early, before he learned the proper skills.

Could there be more to this problem?
Any ways to end it?
He should go to the vet for a full exam. Make sure the doctor knows that he's been going outside the box and for how long.

If everything checks out and he is healthy, there are a couple things you can do. For one, you could add another box. Some cats refuse to pee and poop in the same box. You could also try using different kinds of litter to see which one he likes best or invest in a larger box. Booda Domes and Booda Clean Step are really good (and large) litterboxes and you can get them at Petsmart and Petco. Also, the box needs to be kept extremely clean. I scoop twice a day or more for two cats, as do several other members here.

It's also probably a good idea to retrain him to use the litterbox. Confine him to small room (like a bathroom) with his food, water, a large litterbox, all of the toys or sleepy pads he likes and a Feliway Comfort Zone diffuser (also availably at Petsmart and Petco). Keep him confined until he is comfortable with consistently going in the box.

vinvin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ah thanks.

I am going to be scheduling him for a vet appointment this week. I should have done it months ago, but I'm one of those pet owners who feels that if everything seems alright they must be fine. Life around the house can just be so hectic that it's hard to keep up with the cats.

But I think he needs to go badly now.

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by VinVin

Ah thanks.

I am going to be scheduling him for a vet appointment this week. I should have done it months ago, but I'm one of those pet owners who feels that if everything seems alright they must be fine. Life around the house can just be so hectic that it's hard to keep up with the cats.

But I think he needs to go badly now.
That's great that you're taking him in

You know, before I came to this site, I would have never known to take my kitties in for these things. You'll learn a ton around here! Welcome!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

journey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lilleah878

I would wait to see if she does it again. If it becomes a daily thing, then come back here and let us know..because then there might be a problem.

So....5 days later and she hasn't done it until today. She was pooping and peeing normally in the box. But then today I found a piece of poop in front of the box and the rest of the poop inside the box. I just don't understand it. Maybe she doesn't like the smell of the new litter inside the box.

minerva

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Carter (my male) now has a vet appointment for Friday
and today, immediately *after* I had cleaned all three litterboxes, he pooped inside the box...

I wonder if he wants his box to be _absolutely_ clean or if he just felt good because these days we have been pampering him a bit, more petting and cuddling...or maybe just marking "his" box once more?
I just don't get it...

waddle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Have you actually seen him poop outside the box? I occasionally find poop right outside the box, but I think my kitties just kick it out when they're covering it as they both like to go (both peeing and pooping) right in the corner of the box. I have been looking for something to use with a higher side but it seems everything else is TOO high.

minerva

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I haven't but this Tue, my bf watched him and after Carter had peed *inside* his box, he went out, walked under the aquarium and took a dump there...I remember how my bf wrote"I thought he was *grinning* at me!"

We're near that point where you just want to punish the cat, put him out on the balcony, for example (we're have a major freeze period right now, temps are near 0°F
) but so far we always could controll ourselves, but it starts to *really* get on our nerves*rap fingers on table nervously*

minerva

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We went to the vet today and it turned out that CArter's pooping outside the box was just a minor problem (and I suppose his way of screaming for help) - his heart is enlarged and that gives him a whole bunch of problems as a consequence!

According to the vet his constant gagging/wheezing/coughing fits are a result of the liquid in his lung, he's got some more in his tummy (which explains the enormous bulge he's been sporting for quite a while now), his liver figures are...not good and he probably suffers from thyroid malfunction, too!
I was so sorry for the poor boy when I heard that in the X-ray room and thank god we have a good vet who gave him some pills to remove the liquid and strenghten his heart

I then had to get a urine sample from his - nasty work!!!!
- and after he ate and slept for most of the afternoon and evening, he just got up a few minutes ago and showed some life signs aka sniffing Laura's butt

God, I'm still all confused and shocked, but all the work I did kept me busy and only when my mum called and she told me I should "have him put down" cause of the costs, I got so furious!!!!

I was on the verge of shouting,"If *I* had been that ill, would you have *me* put down!?!?!!!!"

My bf isn't home yet and he was rather stressed out before he left for work, so I just need to let some steam off here instead...my two cents if you will

waddle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Aw, sorry to hear he's so sick, but at least now you can fix it! Hope he's feeling better quickly!

minerva

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks Waddle, it's soooo good to feel this support

I hadn't been online for a few days cause of all the stress I had been having (and uni life isn't a piece of cake, either*sigh*), but I was so glad to hear on Thursday that he's doing better already, seems like the pills kicked in*relieved sigh*Thank God!

Let's hope for the best

evnshawn

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
To the original OP: Are you sure it's on purpose? As someone mentioned, she might be kicking it out. I have seen a few of my cats do it on occasion, too, if they are too near the edge of the box. That is, they think they are in, but their little butts are hanging out.

cmblair76

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just adopted a "rescue kitty" for my 7-year old son. She does this exact same bother -- will pee in the litter box but poop outside the box. It is frustrating because we just installed new carpet and the cat poops on it. UGH!

I have an appointment for her this Friday -- I am almost hoping it's a GI thing so that I can get this corrected. She has been with us (3)-three weeks now and just started this this week.

Things I have done:

She is restricted from bedrooms. (She pooped on my sons bed)

She has a VERY clean litter box.

She was confined to a large bathroom with litter box, bed, toys, ample food and water. (Still pooped next to the box or behind the commode.)

When we let her out after she cried day after day -- this is when she pooped on my sons bed.

I keep a close eye on her. (I work from home and it's almost a 2nd job watching her. The minute I'm not watching she takes the opportunity to poop.)

Other than the pooping issue, she is very loving and the boys carry her all over and she seems to enjoy the attention. When I am working at my desk, she is typically sitting on the shelf or trying to watch the computer monitor to see what is going on. Any additiona suggestions would be a great help.