Poop issues

breamarie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat Romeo (5 or 6 years old) has some minor poop issues. I've noticed that there are 'trails' on the ground where he's been scooting, and there are other times I've noticed that his butt is dirty and I've had to wash him off. Also, sometimes he'll be walking along and a little poo ball falls out (sorry, that's super gross!). He doesn't even seem to notice. It happens maybe twice or three times a week.

He poops in the litter box just fine (and he always has big poops, but normal looking).

Does this sound like a problem? Or is my cat just really gross?

Thanks

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nah, Romeo is not gross. It sounds like he may have some problems with constipation. What are you feeding him?

If he's not already, switching him to a mostly canned diet, preferably with no grains, may help.

Large poops are not a good sign, because it can indicate megacolon.

I'd be bringing him to the vet for a check up, if it were me, but a diet change may be all that is needed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

breamarie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

Nah, Romeo is not gross. It sounds like he may have some problems with constipation. What are you feeding him?

If he's not already, switching him to a mostly canned diet, preferably with no grains, may help.

Large poops are not a good sign, because it can indicate megacolon.

I'd be bringing him to the vet for a check up, if it were me, but a diet change may be all that is needed.
I've wondered if it could have something to do with constipation, because even though his litterbox poop looks normal, the 'poo balls' are hard and dry.

He eats Taste of the Wild dry food. The stinker won't eat any type of wet food, unfortunately. He has been eating a bit of the kitten's food (kitten meow mix mixed with TOTW...I'm transitioning him over), but his poop/poop issues haven't changed as a result.

I looked up megacolon, and he doesn't seem to have many of the symptoms of that, but I'll keep an eye out for it.

Is there anything besides wet food that I can do for constipation? I looked it up online but a lot of them involve things the cat should eat (like canned pumpkin), but I'm sure he would not eat them.

(BTW- I recently started giving him some greenies treats for his teeth, and since then he's thrown up twice (the first times he's ever done that here). I think it might just be his stomach adjusting to the treats, and there was hair in the vomit, but I figured I'd mention it).

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats can't handle the Greenies - others have mentioned vomiting, too. Sho has vomited them, but he also ate them whole so I think it might have been from having a whole large greenie sitting in his belly.
If you want to help his teeth, brush them daily - it's better than just giving a treat.

What sort of hair? Cat or human? You can safely give some hair ball remedy for that.
I'm actually having a scooting cat problem at the moment that I have no idea how to solve short of DH and I wearing hairnets or shaving our hair off.

What wet foods have you tried? Many say their cats will not eat any kind, yet haven't tried more than a handful of brands.
You can also give small amounts of cat grass - too much causes vomiting, but a little just acts like natural fiber.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

breamarie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Some cats can't handle the Greenies - others have mentioned vomiting, too. Sho has vomited them, but he also ate them whole so I think it might have been from having a whole large greenie sitting in his belly.
If you want to help his teeth, brush them daily - it's better than just giving a treat.

What sort of hair? Cat or human? You can safely give some hair ball remedy for that.
I'm actually having a scooting cat problem at the moment that I have no idea how to solve short of DH and I wearing hairnets or shaving our hair off.

What wet foods have you tried? Many say their cats will not eat any kind, yet haven't tried more than a handful of brands.
You can also give small amounts of cat grass - too much causes vomiting, but a little just acts like natural fiber.
lol, Romeo also ate the greenies whole at first. I said "Okay, Einstein, you're kind of defeating the purpose here"
It was cat hair that he threw up- just a very small amount. I don't think he would've even thrown it up if it hadn't been for the greenie. I really should start brushing his teeth- he will NOT be amused, though
. I need to get him in for a cleaning/possibly extraction, too.

I've only tried about three kinds of wet food, so I'll buy a few more. He sure is picky for such a fat guy, lol.

It's interesting that you mention grass- every time we go outside(just occasionally, on the leash), he tries to eat the grass. I'll go pick up some cat grass at Petsmart today.

Thanks!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Or you could get some sterile top soil (no fertilizer) a couple of pots and some seed. That way you can plant several pots of grass.
They only last a few days after being trimmed or munched on, anyways.

Brush more, that helps with hair. For brushing teeth you simply need to figure out the easiest way to hold him and use a couple favorite treats after.
I sit on the bathroom floor and put the cats sitting up in my lap with their backs against my chest. Hand goes under their chin and around their face to hold it steady. If they wiggle too much I gently press them back against me. Brush, cuddle, pet, treat - even the fussiest ones are only annoyed for a moment. Once it becomes a routine a cat settles down since they know they will get that treat.

When testing wet food, just go with the tiny cans. Many cats prefer the taste of the 3oz cans over larger ones, too. Some have had luck with Blue buffalo's canned food.