Poop From Neighbourhood Cat - What To Do? :(

peterspiano

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Cat experts!

I’ve got a bit of a feline difficulty. I’ll give you a short version first, then a long version.

Short version: A cat recently came into my apparent and did a nr.2 on the floor. (Thankfully not my bed or similar!). My question follows - how can I best prevent this from happening again?

Long version: I’ve recently ‘sort-of’ befriended a cat in the neighbourhood. This was probably very stupid on my behalf. By ‘befriend’, I mean, when I go to the trash which is right next to my apartment I say hi to him (dunno if it’s a he or she..I’ll just say he for simplicity’s sake). I petted him him once and also kind of wave at him when I close the windows when I go to bed. He literally hangs out right infront of my ground floor apartment all of the time. Also he was ‘crying’ (not meowing, more of the circular mouth kind of ‘crying’ for lack of a better word) in the apparent building - sometimes people leave the door to the hall open and he get’s in. On one occasion I also gave him a pet and talked a bit to him. I generally have a good understanding with cat’s/dogs and also quite like them. Regretfully with cat’s I am quite allergic to them so I make a point of keeping the petting to a minimum, although waving and saying hi I’ve never had difficulties with.

Anyways, today, one of my students (I teach music), came to her lesson with a small baby dog. It pooped in the corner, I/my student cleaned it up. No problem. Adjacent to where I teach and work is my bedroom which has an open window, unless I’m sleeping there and then it’s closed. So today, unbenounced to me, this cat (I can’t prove it, but the likelihood that it is him is high) came into my bedroom and pooped. This cat has come into my apparmentment once before, and when it saw me it froze, like cat’s do, and I said hi, and then kept on working. I assume that it then left seeing as that I wasn’t really interested and also I don’t want to encourage him to come in so I didn’t pet him or anything like that. Of course I haven’t given him any food and don’t plan on it. It was probably dumb of me in the first place to pet him on two occasions. It’s probably ‘confused’ now.

So what to do. I can stop opening that window - which I don’t really want to do since I quite like cross ventilation of my appartment. I’m pretty sure that the next time I see him it makes sense to just ignore him - ie. forever. So as not to be unclear. As for aggression - I don’t ever plan on hitting it or anything of that sort, but if I do keep my window open, and he comes in, I’m not sure what the best plan of action is. My instinct is that I stand up and scare him a bit so that it’s clear that he’s not welcome and he leaves the way he came in.

I’m not very well versed in cat psychology - perhaps the pooping was his way of saying to the other animal “go away this is my domain!” ? Or is it a “I hate you because you haven’t invited me into your home and haven’t fed me?” He’s made it clear with longing eyes that he wanted to come in, and since I’ve got allergies and don’t want to encourage behaviour which is going to be bad for me (sneezing with out end) it’s best that I don’t have him come in. I guess I can put some kind of netting or similar so I still get the cross ventilation, but so that he can’t come in. Maybe I could put something like that up for a while and then later take it down so that he get’s the idea. Oh man…I can still smell poop I hope he didn’t do it in several different places in my bedroom!!

Anyways, I’m grateful for any suggestions!

Peter

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

peterspiano

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
another idea is that if i think i hear him come into the apartment, i take a look and if i see him i scare him off. This makes sense right? I'm just kind of cautious about setting off some kind of cat vendeta where he goes ballistic on me and start's peeing and pooping - don't want to do something stupid. (befriending him in the first place was problaby stupid enough..)

peterspiano

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
very sorry for the multiple reply's to my own thread, don't know how to edit my posts..his age: i'm guessing about 10-12. Might be relevant.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! What about some kind of screening on the window?
Don't frighten him off, that definitely is confusing to the cat and not a kind thing to do.

Is there any kind of agency you can contact (that you know won't just put him to sleep) that can take him in and provide care and adoption? It sounds like a very nice cat that would adapt well to a real home.
--Not to worry you'll be able to edit after 5 days/20 posts.

peterspiano

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
he's definatly a very nice cat - totally love him so i'm going against my nature to ignore him, but i know my body (ie allergy problem). Yeah, i think that's a good idea the screening. I'd have to be for the whole window regretfully (c. 30cm x 150cm) since he'd certainly be able to clime over a partial screening. He might very well belong to someone in the neighborhood, maybe even someone in the building. I could check on his neck to see if he has a tag. I'm a bit though weary of showing any kind of 'kindness' now. For the sake of checking if it has a heck-tag that might be useful.

Are you sure about not scaring it? I don't like being a bit of a bastard - but hm..i'm conflicted. Definatly no violence, but sometimes wouldn't a bit of a scare be kind of like "you're not welcome here"? In a way that's a bit similar to human psychology, sometimes being a bit standoffish, although not very nice, can be kinder if you're tying to be clear about a lack of a desire for a relationship/friendship. I'm quite conflicted. Thanks for your suggestion, looking forward to anyother input. I've never had this kind of difficulty before and know in the grand scheme of things it's no biggie, but hm..i'm not sure..

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Well, it is, --it's important to you therefore it matters :)

What I had in my mind was that if you can screen the window, that solves the issue of the cat getting in, and essentially negates you having to scare it.

Edit; oh by the way, if i may say so, in my opinion befriending something is never a bad thing.

peterspiano

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
true, i can see you're a much nicer person than i am..my 'scaring' solution is me being greedy with my time. I have a bit of a talent to shoot myself in the foot on occasion.. this might be one of those said situations.. thanks for your time! :)

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, most windows here in NY have screens for just this reason, our cats can't get out and wildlife can't get in. Yes, please don't scare the cat, he seems like such a nice cat and is only looking for a friend. I would check around to see if he has an owner and try to help him.

peterspiano

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
ok, two votes for screens. Any suggestions or links? thanks for your inputs!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
You're very welcome :) If you Google "diy window screens" there are material listings and even YouTube videos that can be helpful, and/or depending on where you are located a home improvement store can also help.

peterspiano

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You're very welcome and if you Google "diy window screens" there are material listings and even YouTube videos that can be helpful, and/or depending on where you are located a home improvement store can also help.
super! will check this out..

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Home Depot or Walmart. I would get a real screen. That pic you posted looks like it would let mosquitos and other bugs in.