Polydactyl cat suffering from ingrown nail

kamkoman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,
Just a few days ago, I smelt something foul from my polydactyl cat, Kami. I took a closer look, and that foul smell must’ve came from Kami’s paw because there were bruises (On the top and bottom of her paw) and a dark ingrown nail. I’m not exactly sure where those bruises came from, but I assume it’s related to the ingrown nail. I had no idea there was a nail between her toes, and I found that out too late since the nail already dug in to her skin. Also, there’s puss coming out of her hand somewhere, but I can’t tell if it’s coming from the bruise or the ingrown nail. To make matters worse, it turns out Kami has been climbing our backyard fence. The impact from jumping down from the fence to the ground could’ve added more pressure on the nail, resulting the nail to dig further in to his paw. Please let me know a solution, thank you so much in advance.
+ Kami hasn’t been limping nor hiding. Her appetite’s always be low, and she’s pretty active.Though she does move her hand (kind of flinches) when I touch near the bruises and nail, she hasn’t been showing any other bad signs.

IMG_7149.jpeg IMG_7148.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
You will need to take her to the vet to have it surgicly removed. Depending on how much damage has been done and the location of the toe bone they might recommend amputation i'm not sure though. Ingrown claws can have a tendancy to reoccur.

It is rather hard to see in the photo and the damage could be worse than it looks in the photos.

Is she limping at all or shaking her paw?

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I’m sorry, but she needs to see a vet to get that nail removed from where it is growing into her paw, also she will need antibiotics. Keep her inside and get her to a vet for treatment asap. Cute little cat feet. Sorry she is going through this.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kamkoman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m sorry, but she needs to see a vet to get that nail removed from where it is growing into her paw, also she will need antibiotics. Keep her inside and get her to a vet for treatment asap. Cute little cat feet. Sorry she is going through this.
Thank you so much for the reply, I’ll definitely do that :)

kamkoman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the reply, we’ll definitely do that :)

kamkoman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You will need to take her to the vet to have it surgicly removed. Depending on how much damage has been done and the location of the toe bone they might recommend amputation i'm not sure though. Ingrown claws can have a tendancy to reoccur.

It is rather hard to see in the photo and the damage could be worse than it looks in the photos.

Is she limping at all or shaking her paw?
She’s not shaking or limping at all, and apologies for the blurry picture. Do you know around how much the vet visit and surgery can cost? And thanks a lot for the reply :)

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Im not exactly sure how much it will cost. Our old golden had a simmaler procidure done on his front right thumb, his claw kept gettimg stuck on stuff outside and ripping off. Eventualy it grew back funny and into his paw.

The vet amputated the last diget of his thumb and there was no more issues with it.

Your cat will probably need a shot of antibiotic to clear up the infection. In the mean time until you get the appointment set up you could try diping her foot in an epsom salt bath. It will help clean the germs out a little. If she doesn't like it don't force it though. I'm sure her paw is extremly tender right now, cats are masters at hiding pain.

kamkoman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Im not exactly sure how much it will cost. Our old golden had a simmaler procidure done on his front right thumb, his claw kept gettimg stuck on stuff outside and ripping off. Eventualy it grew back funny and into his paw.

The vet amputated the last diget of his thumb and there was no more issues with it.

Your cat will probably need a shot of antibiotic to clear up the infection. In the mean time until you get the appointment set up you could try diping her foot in an epsom salt bath. It will help clean the germs out a little. If she doesn't like it don't force it though. I'm sure her paw is extremly tender right now, cats are masters at hiding pain.
Thank you so much for the advice! I’m really clueless when it comes to pets because Kami is my first ever fur baby. I’m so glad I got to talk to you!

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would skip the soak for now. I say that because it can make them ill to lick the salt off.
If you can’t get to a vet, and I do understand finances etc. see if you can clip the nail so it doesn’t continue to grow into her paw. You have to be very careful.

Or, make an appointment at the vet for just a nail trim and see what happens. I know if it was me doing it, I would fix it. I don’t know about your area though.

kamkoman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would skip the soak for now. I say that because it can make them ill to lick the salt off.
If you can’t get to a vet, and I do understand finances etc. see if you can clip the nail so it doesn’t continue to grow into her paw. You have to be very careful.

Or, make an appointment at the vet for just a nail trim and see what happens. I know if it was me doing it, I would fix it. I don’t know about your area though.
Yea.. the vet expenses are a little burdensome on our behalf, so I’ll try to see if i can clip the ingrown nail. Thanks for your input :)

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Just cutting it won't clear the infection. She needs to see the vet. You also could cut the quick causing more damage. Don't try to do it yourself. If money is an issue ask about monthly payments.

I cannot stress enough how much you could make it worse trying to do it yourself. Whatever you do do not try to pull out the ingrown nail.

She needs antibiotics if it is infected as you meantioned it smells.