Poll: How do your spouses/partners/SOs feel about your cats?

worriedmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When DH and I met, I had an 8 year old cat (Princess). He was a dog owner but fell in love with Princess. He so much loved Princess that before we were married, he adopted a kitten. After we got married we have adopted others together. We are purely cat owners and my DH prefers cats over dogs...go figure.

mama of bronte

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

We kind of adopted them together (he didn't really have a say in the matter
), and I wouldn't say he loved them right away, but he does now - particularly Smudge. He often thinks about them, which is nice - things like "the kitties would love to play with that" or while we're away "I wonder how they're doing", or things like that.
lol... same with Joey and I

we adopted them together... but he really didn't have much of a say... i guess you might say my cat care style is way different than his mom's... i really try to feed them a good healthy diet, give them vet care... etc. at first he referred to them as "your kittens'" but last night while he was snuggling them after a particularly not fun episode of pilling the kitties and giving them other meds... he was especially tender... and said ... "so you're mad at daddy now"... etc. when they weren't particularly feeling like purring...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

creativgirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I'm not currently involved with anyone, but I would never get into a relationship with a guy who did not like cats, especially my cats....and animals in general actually.

A few years ago I tried those online dating sites. I made sure that I mentioned that I had cats and that it was important to me that the man I become involved with likes cats.

A guy contacted me and we talked and hit it off. He told me that he would be interested in pursuing an in person meeting. He then added that he doesn't like cats, so I'd have to get rid of them if we were to start dating.

I told him bluntly that when given a choice, my cats win every time!
And told him that he had some nerve to even bother contacting me to begin with knowing that I had cats. He told me that he really liked my profile and thought I would be more willing to compromise if the right guy came along.

I told him that the word "compromise" isn't in my vocabulary when it comes to my cats.
I totally agree. If Matt had told me he didn't like cats when we first started dating, I would have broken it off straight away. That would be like telling a single parent you don't like kids and expecting him/her to "compromise."

mer636

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
my boyfriend and I actually adopted our cats together. I wanted an orange one and he always wanted a black one and we got both of our wishes since our angels are orange and black/white

kit e cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Eric is not an animal person, and wouldn'treally care if they all disappeared tomorrow. That being said, when we started dating, and I learned her was SEVERELY allergic to cats, I told him that the cats stayed no matter what, and they lived inside, where they are supposed to live, whether his allergies bother him or not. 3 years later, we live together, we have acquired 4 more cats, and his allergies are under control. He still doesn't LOVE the cats, but he loves me, and tolerates the cats, and that is just fine with me

cata_mint

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My bf doesn't really like it when my cats trample all over him, but he talks to them when I'm not around
If we lived together I'm sure he'd be a complete cat lover but he's never had a pet, so isn't used to how much we spoil our cats.

My dad loves cats, when he was a student he rescued a cat that was trapped in the flat above his, and took her to live at my Grandparent's house. She must have been at least 18 when she died.
When Tilly broke her leg and went missing for 3 days just after Christmas my dad was too sad to work. He cried a bit when she came home on New Years Eve.

felton

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My SO and I love animals. Before some crossed the Rainbow Bridge, we had 5 cats, two birds and two dogs along with our son. We slaves had to keep busy attending to all.

pipersjo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I voted for 2 choices because Chris and I adopted the cats together (well, he protested and then gave in and told me I could get 1
), but he really doesn't like Petunia. I have had the kitties for over 2 years now and Chris was out of the picture for almost 1 year and the dynamics kinda changed- except some things never change. Petunia is MY cat and I am HER person. I think he feels excluded. Now, Pepper on the other hand, Chris loves. Pepper is the friendliest cat I have ever seen tho. Well, except when I moved to OH. He turned into a a 'fraidy cat until we got settled in.

kittywitty23

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My dad hates cats and my momtoerates them my dad when I got gracy my dad yelled at my aunt for getting it. When we got pixel my mom took right to her my dad didn't even touch it until yesterday. And last night my cat gracie went under my dads bed and he threatened to shoot her.

tab

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
my dh had not had any pets since he was a kid and chosen not to share his life with any furries at all.

when he moved in with me i had 4 cats and 2 dogs. it never ceases to amaze me how well he has taken on all of them and all their 'stuff'!

in particular my rb cat janet, really stole his heart. sadly they only spent just over a year together, but you'd think they had spent their whole lives together.

dh is a bus driver and one of his routes would take him past our house. if i was home he would text me and request that janet was in the window for him to see when he drove past! not me, the cat!

he has displayed kindness and compassion beyond anything i could have wished for when 3 of my cats and my sweet lurcher passed away.

spookzilla

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When my DH and I started dating, I had 2 cats. On his first visit to my apartment, Bonnie came out and barfed at his feet. I think she was testing him out--love the human, love the barfy cats, it's a package deal! She became his sweetheart and he cried more than I did when she passed 2 years ago.