polenta

mom of franz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
NYC The Town so Nice, They Named it Twice!
Originally Posted by DinahCat

I've seen polenta in the stores, but looking at it.. I would assume that you squeeze it out of the little bag thing that it is in. Is it a paste? How do you prepare it?
Dinah, you take the polenta out of the casing whole. Slice it, rather thickly and fry it in olive oil/butter. The stuff they sell in the bag is already cooked, just needs a final prep. You can also buy corn meal and make it yourself, but get ready to stir and stir and stir in a big pot of water or broth. It's really easy to make, just a bit time consuming.

dinahcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mom of Franz

Dinah, you take the polenta out of the casing whole. Slice it, rather thickly and fry it in olive oil/butter. The stuff they sell in the bag is already cooked, just needs a final prep. You can also buy corn meal and make it yourself, but get ready to stir and stir and stir in a big pot of water or broth. It's really easy to make, just a bit time consuming.
Thank you for explaining this to me, Franz. I'll have to try it.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I usually make it myself, put half of it in a casserole dish, put sliced mozzarella, tomatoes, onions, basil and oregano in the middle, cover with the rest of the polenta, and then bake it till it's golden brown.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like it sliced, panfried in a bit of butter, with my own marinara sauce atop it, meatballs and/or sausages on the side (if you eat meat).

foodnetwork should have lots of recipes I bet

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maverick_kitten

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thanks for all your recipes, never realised you could slice it! did a google search and found a good recipe for polenta bruschetta (spell?). going to try some with mozerella and parmasan tomorrow. mmmmmmmmmmm