poisonous houseplants source please read

rirunyan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have two houseplants that my kittens love to treat as a salad bar. One is a prayer plant, which is on all the safe sites that I can find. I have a draceana tree too. I found several "novice" sites with this plant listed as toxic, and decided to dig deeper into veterinary college sites, and university sites. I noticed in the novice sites, that people tend to copy and paste from other websites. This is a great way to propogate misinformation.

The following link is to a cornell university site, which links to other university sites with lists of poisonous plants. My draceana was not on any of the sites.

http://www.ansci.cornell.edu/plants/

So many people say that poinsettias are extemely poisonous. According to all the university sites, they are considered "slightly toxic" and only cause mouth irritation.

stampit3d

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for this sight rirunyan.....I used to have a ton of house plants, but when we got our first kittne last Dec I got rid of all of them not knowing what might be toxic . I`d sort of like to try to have at least a few safe ones now that both kittens are about a year old (although I`m sure they may get chomped on a bit) and I will be checking out this sight. I put it in my Favorites under my Cat Info.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Poinsettas can cause vomiting as well, if the kitty really chows down on them-