Pododermatitis on paw

Jason13581

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a cat that had pododermatitis on her right left paw, it cleared up and went to the right rear paw about 2 weeks ago, now it is starting to happen on her front left paw. I was wondering what is causing this to go from paw to paw all within a month or 2 of each other. I was given some medication by the vet called Amoxi-Clav 200mg/28.5mg and also a powder called Neo-Predef both are given twice a day. What is causing this to keep happening and what need to be done to find the problem , can it be the litter I use it is Fresh Step Mountian Spring scent. Thank You for responding to my question

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, it's nice to meet you. I would give the vet a call to ask why this could be happening, especially since this is occurring in such a short time frame. I hope your cat gets better soon and please keep us posted on how she is doing.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I wrote this on a different thread but thought I might mention it to you:
If your vet thinks he has Pododermatitis I would ask her why she didn't prescribe Doxycycline since that is the standard antibiotic used to treat it. FYI, please note this explanation: Doxycycline is an antibiotic that also has immunomodulating properties and it is believed to be these properties that are effective in treating plasma cell pododermatitis. Approximately 50 percent of affected cats will show a good response after two months of therapy.

You may want to consider getting a second opinion from another vet and not one in the same practice or better yet a feline only vet. Best of luck and we'll keep our fingers crossed for you. :crossfingers:

MikeJ523

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat has this condition and was seen by a dermatologist. Basically the only 3 options for treatment are 1. Doxycycline 2. Steroids (Prednisolone) 3. Atopica/Cyclosporine. You can also do a food trial to see if that may be causing the issue, but may not have huge success. It seems to be genetic and no one really knows what causes it although I think there are certain "triggers" that cause it to flare up for example allergies, inflammation in the body, some sort of immune reaction, etc. I am currently treating my cat with Doxycycline and per Dermatologist this is the best option to treat it and should hopefully see improvement, and I'm really hoping remission, in 60 days. If you use the pill form of this medication you need to follow up with a minimum of 5cc of water (very important detail in case you are not told this), but safest option would be the liquid version. It is best to treat it now so it does not get out of hand and hopefully will have less time to be on medication if you can nip it early.

meowmixing

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a cat that had pododermatitis on her right left paw, it cleared up and went to the right rear paw about 2 weeks ago, now it is starting to happen on her front left paw. I was wondering what is causing this to go from paw to paw all within a month or 2 of each other. I was given some medication by the vet called Amoxi-Clav 200mg/28.5mg and also a powder called Neo-Predef both are given twice a day. What is causing this to keep happening and what need to be done to find the problem , can it be the litter I use it is Fresh Step Mountian Spring scent. Thank You for responding to my question
My cat had bleeding crusty paws for a year. Tried many antibiotics, steroids, switched litter... Had a biopsies done and came back as pododermatitis. When I brought up diet, every vet I saw (even after biopsy) said it would not usually be caused by food so do not need to change diet. I eventually did test different foods. It is almost cured now after doing an elimination diet for almost 8 weeks. It took around 4 weeks to notice significant changes.

Especially if you changed foods / brands within the last year or so, strongly suggest you try a diet change if nothing else is working.