Pledge of Allegiance

jojo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree with many of your posts, there are valid reasons for separation of church and state. As a nation, we are a melting pot and as was stated previously, the beliefs of the majority should not be fostered on the minority. However, children are like sponges, they absorb a lot of information.

It is up to the parents to teach right from wrong but I'm not seeing a lot of that lately. More likely, I see parents defending bratty self-centered behaviour and defy anyone to discipline these kids. My point is, if children don't have love and respect for their parents, who are they going to respect? Today's brats are tomorrow's leaders.

There may be no correlation but when I was growing up, I recited the Pledge of Allegience and sang the National Anthem. That's not to say I always agree with this Nation's policies -- but I have a vote to make my opinion known. Our freedom as American citizens gives us the right to speak out and address injustice.

You see, no matter what religion, creed or race, you are still an American. Somewhere, this nation lost that unity... we are now a nation of strangers who don't speak the same language, don't follow the same religions, and have no common ground other than we are citizens of the same nation. Teach the children about the one thing we have in common, love of a free nation. Remember our history... united we stand, divided we fall.

JoJo

mr. cat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I first learned the Pledge of Allegiance — and throughout my primary-education years — it went like this:

I pledge allegiance to the flag
Of the United States of America;
And to the republic for which it stands:
One nation, indivisible,
With liberty and justice for all.

During those years, I went to church every Sunday. Now, going to church every Sunday doesn't make a person religious any more than standing in a garage once a week makes someone a motor vehicle — or anymore than flying a flag makes one patriotic. Substance, not form, is what matters. My faith was in no way impeded by the absence of reference to a diety in the Pledge.

During the tenure of the Eisenhower administration, the Pledge was changed from the one I'd learned: the "under God" words then being inserted. So, during my secondary-education years we all recited the new Pledge every morning at school.

I vote "no" in this particular poll, but that doesn't make me unpatriotic. I continue my patriotic duty every day: The president wants us to spend money and I do, as my creditors will confirm; I obey the law of the land in all things; I've served my country in a combat zone, which makes me a military veteran for life.

Yes, I have a small flag mounted outside my bedroom's second-storey window; and it's there for two reasons: to show solidarity with those who live in the areas struck by terrorism; and to announce that a citizen, rather than a "renter," lives here. (Has anyone ever filled out a form which doesn't ask whether you own or rent? It seems a strangely-important question, doesn't it?)

People of all ages are free to pray or not pray whenever they wish. People are also free to recite the Pledge of Allegiance whenever they wish. Making such things mandatory for those in our primary and secondary schools engenders, in my opinion, tendencies toward nationalism and theocracy. Freedom of religion also means freedom from religion; and in government facilities, which is what public schools are, I find any imposition of prayer distasteful. And the same goes for mandatory references to a god.

During the 1980s, it was fashionable for businessmen and executives to wear red neckties. When I'd ask what the red color meant, they'd nearly always respond: "It's a symbol of the blood we're willing to shed for our country," or similar words. Where, then, were these selfsame people during the Viet Nam War or Korean War? "I was in college," was the nearly-uniform reply. Few, if any, had served in the armed forces. Whose blood were they willing to shed, anyway?

So, as the cliche rightly points out, one can't tell a book by its cover. Pledges and prayers have their rightful places; but those places need to be more carefully chosen. When I went to get my Social Security Administration card during the 1950s, I was required to sign a loyalty oath. I thought it strange at the time; and I wonder if such McCarthy-era oaths will now return in the guise of patriotism.

I shall defend my country via force of arms again, if need be. But I shall not do so in order that paranoia can grip the nation. In the public sector, mandated displays of patriotism and religion are refuges I shall not seek.

=^..^=

melissa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Although I am not an American, I thought that was well said Mr. Cat.
No one should be forced to make any public reference to God. Schools are educational facilities, and religion has no place there, IMO

jin & spawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ohhhh... I don't want to do this because I'm really not good at debate! I hate confrontation!!!! But...

First off, let me say that I deeply respect everyone's opinion. The arguments here have been eloquent and well thought out, and are obviously written by highly intelligent people. So don't take anything I say as a personal attack on anyone! I just feel the need to throw my 2 cents in here...

If you look at the First Amendment of the Constitution of the United States, it plainly gives a freedom of religion. But no where is there a freedom from it.

Imagine, if you will, a nation with a right to a freedom FROM religion. That, to me, would mean that (albeit an extreme example, totally possible) churches would have to hide their steeples and message boards. Television evangelists would not exist. No one would be able to talk about their religion, or share their thoughts. Because if any of these things happened we would be infringing on another's freedom FROM religion. (I know this wasn't very eloquent, but please take it as it is meant!)

Our nation's freedom OF religion protects those that want to practice their religion, whether they're doing it at home, at church, at work, or in school. Yet, at the same time, it provides protection to those that do not want participate by giving them the freedom to choose which religion they want to practice... even none at all .

I hope I made my argument clear and concise. I welcome comments from anyone that disagrees with this, just as I welcome support from those that agree!

jin & spawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
And one more thing....

Since I was off the subject of the Pledge in that last post; I think I was the one that started all this freedom of religion stuff in the first place due to a much earlier post... I appologize for that, my mind was wandering at the time. I was just thinking of the reason that I keep hearing the Pledge is not said any more is because of the "One Nation Under God" line. Maybe, just for the sake of NOT arguing, we should remove the "Under God" part, and then what would the conflict be?

I honestly don't think there's any harm in saying "Under God", and I really think it adds to the Pledge, but I think it's more important teaching our children patriotism and if that means removing "Under God" to get our schools to start reciting it again, then fine!

I'm gonna' shut up now.

catarina77777

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Personally, I think your statement was well thought out.

If we are such a free nation, why can't we as individuals with our "freedom" recite that line or leave it out. It doesn't have to take an act of Congress to make a decision for yourself or our children. This, like any discussion can go on forever, but honestly, the freedom of choice lies within each of us; as long as that freedom is not abused to inflict harm on anyone.

As far as the Pledge of Allegience goes, I do feel that it should remain in the schools, if you don't want to say it, then don't. However; if you are here as an American; in my own humble opinion, I do believe we should respect the country that allows this freedom we take for granted more often than not.

If I were visiting another country and they played their national anthem, I would stand up out of respect. I may not sing the words, or believe in their culture, but to repsect another's belief (as long as it doesn't inflict harm) is extremely important in the practice of diplomacy.

Love & Peace,
Catarina

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There will not be any separation of church and state. The Delay bill will ask that before the House and the Senate convene, the members will meet for prayer. I for one am excited at the possibility that these leaders are seeing that a unity toward God must exist if things are to be accomplished in the right light. It has passed the House and is on it's way to the Senate according to the CBN news. They are also asking that the day before Thanksgiving become a reconciliation day for the United States, hopefully so those with regrets can go to their loved ones and friends and make up for past misdeeds and come out stronger for it. A postive way for the society to go IMO.

debby

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just have one more quick thing to add, after reading all the new posts here....Hissy your post on the last page before this one was excellent!!!! You have such a way with words, and you really said exactly what I myself was thinking!!! Thanks!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

donna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just want to say that I agree with Hissy. If you don't want to do it, just stand there and say nothing.

IMO, if you have a problem with the "Under God" part, leave it out. But the Pledge itself shows that this nation is indivisible and STRONG, pledging liberty and justice for EVERYONE. No where does it mention that is it one GOD we are pledging our allegiance to.

So, with that, I say "To each his own".

Donna

tiggeytoes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I remember when I was a child and we were taught in school to love and respect the flag. We all knew the words to the patriotic songs, and on our way to and from school the school bus resounded with the voices of innocent chidren singing the praises of our nation. All school children knew the rules of displaying and caring for our flag...the symbol of the nation we were taught to love and respect. I date myself by saying that I remember having to to alter the daily pledge of allegiance by adding the words "under God". We were the post-war baby boomers, and we were caught up in the left-over ferver of world war II. As time passed, that patriotic ferver faded. Many years later I taught school and was, myself, guilty of neglecting to teach the values I was taught as a child.

Our nation is far from perfect, and thankfully we live in a place where we are free to express our dissatisfaction.

I am sometimes dissatisfied with my brother, and express myself loudly and clearly. But just let someone else express the same sentiments and I will be right there to defend the brother I love. In the same token I am not ashamed, but proud to be an American. Although I disagree with some of the policies, and am sometimes distrustful of the intentions of our leaders...I will speak up and defend the country I love.

IMO the pledge should be said in every classroom across the United States, but no one should be forced to say it.

IM