Please Wish Me Luck.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mokapi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am late to this thread, but mokapi mokapi , I wish you so much luck. It takes a ton of fortitude to change careers. I kind of did it, at the age of 28. I went back to a Community College and started a new life.

It is also horrible to be in a job/career which you actually hate, and discover you are at a dead end. It adds to depression, and eventually will effect your work performance.

I say, if you want to be an electrician, go for it!! It will be really hard for a few years, but then, it will improve. You will have a union to back you up. I honestly feel a union is a necessity, especially with this current world environment.

Glad you have the support of your boyfriend and his dad.

If you want to get into something else, then try volunteering for a bit. You love animals.. what about something with a Vet.. a tech or so.. The pay is terrible, but you may get some satisfaction from helping sick animals...and they only bite when they are afraid.. not to intentionally hurt you..

You could also begin by volunteering at a shelter/rescue.. see how you feel about the possibility of doing this full time. Volunteering could also give you a sense of self satisfaction and self-worth, by doing something that you love.. while you are searching for alternative job choices.

I think trade jobs are the way to go right now. I think there are too many college graduates who eventually end up in jobs which are completely out of their fields.

Good Luck...((hugs))
Thank you! <3

I talked to the bf last night about welding, and he was way more on board than I expected him to be. I've been doing a lot of research into the electrician side of things, and jeez, there's a lot of "my job pays well but it's incredibly boring" attitude...which won't really work for me in the long run. But I really had fun with the welding when I tried it. Granted, I know it won't be as "fun" when I'm constantly doing it, but, still.

I worked at a vet office when I was 14-16, and it was a good experience, but it really cemented in my head that being a vet isn't right for me. I'm extremely empathetic with animals, to the point that it overwhelms me. It goes beyond just being sad that they're in pain...I can't explain it :( I didn't mind the bites and scratches. I even got to save a few myself. But the death was overwhelming. *shudders*

I definitely think that volunteering will be a good way to keep up my spirits while I look.

Right now, I think what I want to do is go ahead and apply for an apprenticeship, and hope I get in. In the meantime, I want to find another job....just to get me out of this one. I have an interview Wednesday at a place that's literally walking distance away (I currently drive an hour one way). Fingers crossed for that one. IF I'm accepted, I would just continue working at this other place until the apprenticeship begins (next June), and I will take some welding classes in the meantime...

mokapi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
UGHHHH. This morning I had a job interview-- not for anything within the trades, just something to get me OUT OF HERE-- and I think it went super well, but I asked for too much $$.

I had the three ladies in stitches the entire interview, they made comments that made me think they could already see themselves hiring me...and then they e-mailed me asking salary requirements. I aimed high, because I've never done that before and I don't want to make much less than I make now. I asked for $17/hour.

The gal e-mailed me back and said that that's on the "very high end" of their entry level position. I did say that I was negotiable, and that there are other aspects of the job that are very important to me. I KNEW that 17 was too high to ask for. I should have said 15. Ugh.

Hopefully I didn't just ruin it. Sigh.

I've never been asked what I'm looking for before. Usually the employers offers a number and I say yes or try to negotiate higher. That's easier :(

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
During my interviews, when it came time for salary, I always had the interviewer give me the salary range or what they would consider for a salary.. Then, I had the chance to either agree or disagree..

I learned the hard way, not to bring it up first...let them do it.. They always try to low-ball you... you always have to decide, in your mind, how low you are willing to go.

No problem, if they want you, and if it is to be, then it will. They will find the money to negotiate.. I think they wanted to see your reaction.. do not worry.. this is all a game with them.. not to us, but to them it is.. they try to get you to go as low as they can, for their bottom line.....

mokapi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
During my interviews, when it came time for salary, I always had the interviewer give me the salary range or what they would consider for a salary.. Then, I had the chance to either agree or disagree..

I learned the hard way, not to bring it up first...let them do it.. They always try to low-ball you... you always have to decide, in your mind, how low you are willing to go.

No problem, if they want you, and if it is to be, then it will. They will find the money to negotiate.. I think they wanted to see your reaction.. do not worry.. this is all a game with them.. not to us, but to them it is.. they try to get you to go as low as they can, for their bottom line.....
I counteroffered for another .50 cents, which really feels like it shouldn't be a big deal to them, but would help me. They're a small company.

They did come back to me with an official job offer, which is when I countered...they offered $15 and that's lower than what I make now and would have an effect on my budget. Where I work now, I'm paid more than that BUT I spend 165$/month in parking and I spend about 75$/month in gas. The job I interviewed for is close enough I can ride my bike, or even walk to work if I'd like (3-ish blocks).

I sent my counter offer e-mail last night and haven't heard back yet. If they say no I will still accept the 15, because I can't stand where I'm working now.

mokapi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I start my new job on Monday, September 25th!! :jive: