Please we need help, my kitten is vomiting bile and blood..

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Is this the first time he's vomited since he went to the vet last week?   And was there just as much blood as before?  How is Askim behaving otherwise?  Is he eating, drinking, playing and using his box normally? 

It is really easy to scare oneself looking up symptoms and possible symptoms on the internet  I've done it myself.  For some reason, we seem to seize on the worst possible case as being the most likely situation.  Try to relax a little bit and remember that there are many other less serious reasons why Askim might be vomiting than FIP.  There honestly is no point in worrying about this right now.  I know that is much easier to say than to do, but it's important to stay calm.  Askim will pick up on your anxiety and this will stress him out as well.  You don't want to cause him extra stress when he's feeling sick. 

The first thing I would do in your shoes is call the vet who gave Askim the anti-nausea injection and explain what is going on.  Now is the time for the blood tests and x-rays she told you she'd do if he continued to vomit. Before your appointment, make a list of your questions.  It is very easy to forget to ask questions when you're so worried about your baby.  Take notes on what she tells you, as well, or better yet, record it.

I recommended you get a second opinion earlier because I thought your vet should have done the blood tests and x-rays when you first took Askim to her.  Since she should now be willing to perform those tests, you might as well take him back to her.  However, if she doesn't run the tests for some reason, or if you feel she is not taking his symptoms seriously enough, I would definitely go for another opinion. 

Keep posting and let us know what's going on.  And please, try not to worry so much.  I know you love Askim very much but he is still right there with you so it's time to enjoy having him there instead of worrying yourself so much something he might not even have. 

i have always wanted to visit Turkey.  It is such a beautiful country. 

colbey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
ah...now i see where the anxiety comes from.

then, yes, you must get him back in to see someone as soon as possible.  were you able to save a sample of the blood and the vomit?  that could help, as they could run tests on those substances.  if you weren't able to do so, it's okay--still get him in as soon as you can.  just try to remember all you can about the whole thing, as the vet will ask questions.

again, i'm not an expert, but i just looked up FIP very quickly and vomiting is not a symptom of it, so it seems VERY UNLIKELY that he has FIP.

the blood just at the end confuses me again.  the same type again?  meaning, a larger amount of just blood at the end?  i cannot think what would cause that, especially with several days in-between.  a possibility, still, is that he's "getting into" something at your house/apartment, but i know you've checked.  still, check your place again for anything that could be harmful/toxic to a cat--houseplants, cleaners, any sort of pesticide/insecticide (or, like a rat poison)....are there any insects in your area of turkey that can get inside that he might be eating??  that's an out-there possibility, but...

i guess....my thinking is it's something with his gastrointestinal tract.  possibly a stomach ulceration.  ulcers can cause symptoms that are/seem sporadic/erratic.  i've a few pages you might want to look at, but i'll send them in another post so this one isn't delayed.  really, though, we can't diagnose it, and he simply must go to a vet ASAP.  here's some more thoughts/ideas, though:

-hopefully you got a sample of both the blood and the vomit

-if you can, get a stool sample.  this could help in determining if he has parasites, for one thing.  i know it's gross, but basically do it the same way i suggested for the other 'icky' stuff.  and put it all in the **** [EDIT:  wow, really?  a shortened version of "refrigerator" gets censored??]  until the appointment.  oh, make a note, either on the container/s or elsewhere of the date and time of each

-start keeping a log of....everything.  especially keep track of what he eats and how much of it (estimate).  try to track his water intake and when he pees and poos.  also make note of his activities--does he play, for how long?  is he sleeping a lot?  (and how much)  does he seem withdrawn?  is he finding places to "hide"?  is he meowing or 'talking' like he's in pain?  does he seem to move like he's in pain, and, if so, describe it.

a lot of work, but it could all help with a diagnosis.  and finally:

don't worry so much.  since he seems, most of the time, to feel just fine, chances are it's not something serious and/or not something that can't be treated.  and, if it does turn out to be serious, try to remember this--

you and he came into each other's lives and it was wonderful.  you loved him and cared for him, and without you, based on your description, he likely wouldn't have lived much longer on his own.  you gave him love, and a safe, comfortable place to sleep and play and live.  he touched, and captured, a piece of your heart and called it his.  those are all beautiful things.

https://www.vetinfo.com/cat-stomach-ulcers.html
https://www.vetinfo.com/why-cat-vomiting-blood.html
http://www.petmd.com/cat/conditions/digestive/c_ct_hematemesis

http://www.banfield.com/pet-health-...lic-and-onions-are-poisonous-to-dogs-and-cats

http://www.banfield.com/pet-health-resources/pet-health-concerns/pet-safety-tips/household-poisons

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

gulbeseker

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, this is the first time ever since he visited the veterinarian. He is acting totally fine, playing, jumping around and begs for food. He uses his box as he was doing before and has firm stools, nothing abnormal, also drinks his water frequently. But why the vomit?! 
Yesterday my mother in law came with her goodies in a plastic bag, she put it on the hallway console and my kitty tore it a little bit , I was unaware till I heard the sound of it. 
But I don't know if that is the reason. This day of mine passed by crying, I can't help myself, as I read before that fip may show its signs when the kitty is between 8-18 months old. He is 8 months old and I can't eliminate the thought of it. 
Thank you for your support, as I was reading through your comment I even started crying again, I discussed the issue with my relatives and they also said that these worries are in vain, oh how I wish they are right..
And I hope you get a visit to Turkey, I love every place on earth and just like all the others, our country has its own beauties to discover.
I will keep you updated about the issue, hopefully with better news. 
Thanks a lot.. 

Last edited:

gulbeseker

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much again. Yes he tends to eat spiders and mosquitos, anything that moves catches his attention. 
I try to hold him back whenever I see him doing that but as it is impossible to watch him over non-stop, he may have eaten them somehow. But I don't use any pesticide around the home.
Well, I do have house plants but I have never seen him eating those. Apart from the vomit he acts totally fine.
I want to get the blood tests performed as soon as possible but wish to take him to a veterinary hospital. I don't know if I can but I will try my best at it.
The blood wasn't as bright red as it was before, but it was still there, and instead of just throwing up stomach liquids or bile, he threw up what he had eaten this morning. The blood came later.
Please wish me luck. I am being over anxious here but I can not help myself.

gulbeseker

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
"you and he came into each other's lives and it was wonderful.  you loved him and cared for him, and without you, based on your description, he likely wouldn't have lived much longer on his own.  you gave him love, and a safe, comfortable place to sleep and play and live.  he touched, and captured, a piece of your heart and called it his.  those are all beautiful things."

This made me cry again. I also see him panting nowadays, whenever I make him jump or play fetch with him, is that normal?
It is so hot in here, my friends keep telling me that he may need fresh air, should I take him outside and let him stroll at the garden?
There are other stray cats in out backyard, I also love and care for them, didn't bring any of them home because they all have their mothers, but as they are not vaccinated I am afraid of my kitty catching something like that awful coronavirus.

Thanks a bunch in advance. 
I will check the sites you referenced. The "catinfo" one was extremely helpful, now I plan to switch to a raw diet for him.