Please tell me your cats are kitchen kitties

catnurse22

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So does everybody's furbabies bug them in the kitchen?

Harvey is the WORST! If I even walk into the kitchen his rubbing on my ankles and talking. And he's constantly reaching up and "holding" my hand to see if there's something in it. Luke is not quiet as bad, but a very frequent visitor. Danny is a good little boy and only comes in if I drop something on the floor he thinks he can play with.

I hardly ever give them people food (I'm talking a tiny piece of meat or bread maybe once a month). I do however prepare the wet food in the kitchen and their dry food bowls are right outside the kitchen. I do understand their behavior but it just blows my mind when they JUST ate and are still underfoot. When I'm actually eating food they could care less, just when I'm actually in the kitchen.

So, who else? Anybody? Maybe? Please?

kittyl0ve4

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
OH yeah - Monster is always following everyone into the kitchen. You'd think he was starved or something if you saw how he bolts into the kitchen. The thing is, he's never gone without food, I'd willingly starve before my cats went without food. What he tries to do is trick other people in the house into believing he hasn't eaten.. Even if he just ate. There have been times when they've gotten fed more than they should have been because of this. =]

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tell mine "out" if they get bad. It can be dangerous sometimes - I'm already accident prone, I don't need a cat tripping me up.

If it's safe they're allowed in or even up on the counter next to me (not next to the stove, though). Usually Tomas is the only one who does this and he regrets it if I'm chopping onions.

This will sound crazy, but when I'm preparing their wet food they're all sent out of the kitchen to wait in the doorways. I'll call or get each one individually when I'm ready. I do this because I've been tripped several times - cleaning wet food off the wall isn't fun. Neither is a fork in the foot.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

...I do this because I've been tripped several times - cleaning wet food off the wall isn't fun. Neither is a fork in the foot.
Oh, jeez, Strange_wings, your posts should seriously come with warnings. Cleaning coffee off my keyboard is NOT my favorite pastime.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

I tell mine "out" if they get bad. It can be dangerous sometimes - I'm already accident prone, I don't need a cat tripping me up.

If it's safe they're allowed in or even up on the counter next to me (not next to the stove, though). Usually Tomas is the only one who does this and he regrets it if I'm chopping onions.

This will sound crazy, but when I'm preparing their wet food they're all sent out of the kitchen to wait in the doorways. I'll call or get each one individually when I'm ready. I do this because I've been tripped several times - cleaning wet food off the wall isn't fun. Neither is a fork in the foot.
Originally Posted by Auntie Crazy

Oh, jeez, Strange_wings, your posts should seriously come with warnings. Cleaning coffee off my keyboard is NOT my favorite pastime.
Chocolate spray isn't so easy to clean off the monitor either.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hehe - 9-10am, 5pm, and 12-1am like clock work! Little Hope is inside the kitchen D-e-s-p-e-r-a-t-e, and Bugsy is outside calmly waiting for his food

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Zoey and Abby are my kitchen helpers .. Zoey trys to aid in stove prep, lol I ensure she is safe

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope, the kitchen is the one place they are not allowed after Mags burned his paw as a kitten when he took a flying leap into a hot pan. Quincy is still having some issues with this and I almost closed him in the fridge the other day but we will get there

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My Hannah is constantly in the kitchen when we're in there. Heck, she runs to the kitchen when anyone stands up from a sitting position in the den!

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG... I cannot go anywhere NEAR the kitchen w/o a stampede of kitties!!

If Archie even thinks he hears something even remotely related to food going on... if he is upstairs on the cat tree.... he comes thundering down the stairs around the corner, jumps on the dining table and comes to a screeching stop. Last time he did this he scared the bejebbers out of the other cats!!

Prowler is my loud-mouth beggar. Meowmeowmoewmewoorrroooowwwoooorrrrrrrow.....
Even if he just had a full meal. He was quite skinny when he came to me and acquired quite the taste for wet food, especially Proplan Sardines and Tuna. Which was the subject of another thread.

greycat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Luvbug is our kitchen cat. We can't go anywhere in or near the kitchen and he comes running, even if he has been fed a few minutes before. He's quiet about it too - one can trip if it wasn't for his constant shoe and leg rubbing. At least he stays off the counters and stove.

The girls usually stay out of the kitchen unless they are really hungry.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine follow a lot to see what's going on, which of course includes the kitchen. They are trained not to come on the counters while I prepare food so will watch from the fridge and top of pantry cupboard.

They don't beg for food, except for Malika and only for cheese. She can hear cheese unwrapped from a mile away

kscatlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cammy sits on the fridge and supervises me, the kitten follows me around. She loves when I get in the fridge.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine all spend a lot of time in the kitchen - it is open-plan anyway so I could not keep them out. And their food an litter is there (behind a screening trolley).

But Persil and Milo want more - She wants her daily treat of a piece of cheese, and he loves to drink from the tap, and they both plague me till they get what they want.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, yes, even Punkin, who won't touch people food, comes in to see what we're eating. We show him, he says, "Yuck," and walks back out. We call it "making offerings to the kitchen gods."

p&r

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yup! Rosalie was HORRIBLE (I say was because after being stepped on a few times she's getting a BIT better, lol). As SOON as I'd walk into the kitchen she'd launch her attack of MEOWS and rubs to get my attention, when that didn't work she'd sit there pawing at the cabinet (where the cat & dog food are) and MEOW some more! Silly girl!

toki

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh yes, kitchen kitties. Everytime i grab a snack, Toki and Charlie are right at my ankles, meowing with that pleading look in their eyes. But it gets even worse, if you actually give them a nibble. Then they know that it's okay for them to get food from you and theyll keep begging...eventually they end up leaping into your refridgerator whenever the door opens.

Don't feed them people food! x)

ink

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cats go in the kitchen but for the most part don't run in there the minute I head that direction. I have three feeding stations that they free feed from, none of which are in my kitchen. Sabrina loves to come in there in the morning while I'm making breakfast and demand to be loved. Bug for some reason just stays in the kitchen all the time except when she eats.