Please tell me this is NOT for real!!

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't get to read the post either, but, I have to say, I'm sort of on the fence about animals for slaughter. I'm a meat eater, but I've recently been trying to move to free range and kosher meats. That being said.. I don't see that it's any more inhumane to eat venison or horsemeat, or buffalo meat for that matter, than it is to eat beef or chicken (and in all honesty, if the horse has had a good life until the point of being sold for slaughter, it's probably ahead of the chickens and cows being raised for slaughter).

Personally, I couldn't send a companion animal away for slaughter, but that being said, I don't know that it's any less ethical than beef or chicken or anything else.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jaffacake

Why have they made it illegal?
Live export is an aweful thing for any animal. I would have thought they would make that illegal so they are slaughtered then the meat exported.

I know things are different over here and this was 10 years ago but my boss had to pay the knackerman to shoot and remove the body of the horse. They weren`t paid anything for the meat.
I actually just got something in the mail about that from the HSUS. Since they banned it here, now they are going to be shipping the horses to Mexico's slaughter facilities.
You are right, local slaughter then shipping the meat is much more humane than shipping an animal from the midwest to Mexico to be killed.

I don't have an answer to it all. I just can't comprehend slaughtering a companion animal for food. All of my family's horses have been beloved friends. We've just had 1 or 2 at a time. I'm sure the view is different on some of the giant breeding operations.

The last time we had a horse taken care of, he was put to sleep then we paid to have the body picked up.