Please tell me I'm making the right decision

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

donna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everybody!

Casey is doing okay. I am going to try and work something out as far as my one terror, Maya Linn. She seems to be the culprit out of all of them. Last night Casey slept with me near my head purring away with his paw on my cheek. He was so glad to be home even MooShoo didn't seem to bother him sleeping with me too! When I'm not there, he's in my room comfy with tv, etc. I let him out last night when I got home and he was a little skittish but that's expected.

My friend Susie called me when she got home and asked me if I had taken him home. I told her yes and why. She completely understood. I love her for trying. She's one of my best friends since grade school.

I missed Casey alot and I'm glad he's home. He doesn't seem to mind staying in my room alone. Things happen for a reason!

Have a great weekend everyone! I'll be off to the Cape with my friends to celebrate Helping Paws making Cat Fancy Magazine's Unsung Heroes!!

Hugs,

Donna

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good report, Donna. I am so glad to hear that Casey is readjusting.

pamela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Donna,
I am glad to hear that Casey is doing good and that he's back with you. I know how hard it must be to give cats up!!
I CAN't LIVE without cats
It has been hard for me the last 5 years because I've been attending an university and lived without cats around until now.

That's my struggle right now. I finally adopted a 8 year old FRIENDLY cat last week and she grew up in a multi cat household so after asking for advice through this and talking with some friends, I decided to get another cat. Yesterday I went to Petsmart and bought this beautiful 8 month old female. She seemed very playful and friendly and I thought she'd be a good companion for Sunni (older cat). Yesterday I started bawling because both were very unhappy.
Ghostie/Zebra (I am still undecided on the name for the new cat) hid under the couch all day yesterday and last nite while Sunni growled & hissed at her and me.

I think this is double hard for me because I had a REAL bad experience before. I had raised one female cat named Rusty from birth then when Rusty was about 6 years old, I found an injured cat and brought him home. I pleaded with my parents to let me keep Sammy and Sammy became a member. HOWEVER, since I brought Sammy home, Rusty won't come near me. She hisses, growls and swats at me even if I WALK into the room.
It has been over 6 years now (both are now living with my parents) and Rusty still has not forgiven me for adopting SAmmy. So now, when I see Sunni hissing, growling at me,
I am real SCARED
:paranoid2 because I don't want the same thing happening to Sunni and me like what happened with Rusty and me.

WELL, I went to work today and left them alone. I knew Sunni wouldn't hurt Ghostie/Zebra (G/Z) because G/Z went into my bedroom while Sunni was there and started to sniff around and Sunni got up and left hissing. So that's why I left them with no supervision while I worked.

Well, I came home early from work and G/Z has been much better- she seems interested in Sunni and has been making some REAl QUICK trips around the apt
. HOWEVER, Sunni is worse now.
She won't come near me now and actually bit me drawing blood when I petted her
Right now, she's under my bed and refuses to come out even when I call her (which is very UNUSUAL).

I know that it takes time to get the cats used to each other but honestly, I don't think I can take this much longer. I have been thinking of giving G/Z to someone else BUT none of my friends can take her and the shelter which I adopted her from is full now. I am not sure what to do so do you have any suggestions regarding this or know of anyone who might be interested in adopting G/Z? She has been nuetered, have had all her shots, etc. (that's why it cost $95!) This is hard for me.
She might have a better home with someone else?? I am not sure I want to do this but do I need to this before I become TOO attached to G/Z??

I also want Sunni to be happy and someone told me recently that older cats prefer to be alone with no other cats (I wish I knew that before I spent $95 dollars on getting G/Z!)

HELP!! Advice or Support or Referrals will be Greatly APPRECIATED

lotsocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Pamela....don't panic yet!!! It has only been a day! It will take MUCH longer for them to get used to each other.

What you need to do is to isolate the baby in its own room. You can keep it in the bathroom or your bedroom, but you should keep G/Z alone for now (make sure G/Z has a litter box, food and water). Do not let the two cats around each other yet.

After a couple of days, start rubbing G/Z with a slightly damp towel and then rub the same towel on Sunni. This way, Sunni keeps her territory but starts getting used to G/Z's scent.

After a couple more days, lock up Sunni and let G/Z have the run of the place for a few hours. Then lock up G/Z and let Sunni back out.

Do this for a couple of days. Keep trading scents with the towel.

Now, after a week and a half or two weeks, you can start letting G/Z out while Sunni is out. As soon as you let G/Z out, give Sunni a treat (tuna or something else really yummy). This way Sunni equates G/Z with good stuff.

Give lots of attention to Sunni and just a little to G/Z for a couple of days.

With time they will get used to each other...but you need to go slooooooowly!

I know this sounds like a pain, but if you follow this process, I almost guarantee success!

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pamela;

I agree. Don't panic yet. My Squirt took awhile before he got used to Joey. And they were friends before he totally forgave me. At first I cried because I thought I'd never have my Squirt back. But things were ok in the long run. It took him 6 months before all of his behaviors were back to what I consider normal.

dawnt91

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Donna - I'm glad you have Casey back, as it's obvious how much you love him. I hope everything else works out, and the other cats just chill! Obviously, since I only have one cat, I can't offer any advice. Just wanted to let you know that I was thinking about you.

Dawn

ttapestry1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree with Lotsocats. It is a slow process. It took my kitties at least a month to begin getting along but now they are best buds. Good luck and keep us updated!

comradekitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It is sad when you have to place a cat that you love - BUT, he sounds like he needs to be a one cat family - take him to your friends on a trial basis to see how he adapts - you say she is close - if he is intimidated he may start not using his pan too - unless you can give him his own room he needs to be with your friend - it is hard but think of him - you said you can see him all the time - good luck Linda

pamela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello! Thank u for ur words of encouragement. I am feeling better about the new cat which I have finally decided to call Zebra. The reason I decided on this is because last night, I finally saw the "WHOLE" cat and noticed her black stripes are shaped just like a zebra SERIOUSLY!. Zebra is doing much better- she has been very playful last night, comes out more now and allowed me to pet her for ONE SECOND.
She seems very interested in Sunni but Sunni still growls and hisses at her.

I am worried about Sunni though because yesterday morning, she threw up in my bedroom
then last night, she threw up
again on my bed.
:disturbed
I am trying to decide if I should take her to the vet or wait for a couple days to see.. What do u guys think???
One problem is that I don't know any vets here in Maryland so I don't know where to start. I have a list of vets and think today I will start calling around to see who sounds like they will take good care of cats then see if I should make an appointment next week or so to have both cats checked. (Am worried about the cost though cuz I have spent alot of money on both cats this last 2 weeks!
)
I will take ur suggestions
about the wet towel and rubbing both cats with it so they'd get used to each other. I have not shut either cat up in a room and I prefer not to if possible because I don't want them feeling trapped. So far, they have been giving each other space. Sunni just growls

and hisses

if Zebra comes too close and Zebra is smart enough not to push her luck with Sunni.
Sunni still bites me

sometimes and still hides under my bed but she is STILL sleeping with me at nites and PURRSSS
when I pet her at bedtime so that is helping me hang in there.

I will keep u guys posted on Zebra and Sunni. If u have any suggestions or advice, please feel free to let me know ANYTIME!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

donna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Casey is doing okay. I've been keeping an eye on all of them. It seems that MooShoo also likes to chase after Casey but I think it's only because he wants to play with him and Casey doesn't want to be bothered. I left them all out when I left for work this afternoon just because Casey had been closed up in my bedroom all weekend while I was gone. I have been using the water bottle and now that the culprits have gotten a little wet, whenever they act up and I point it at them, they squint their eyes and run. So I guess it must be working.

I bought a cast iron cat dish while I was at the Cape this weekend. When I put it out last night with food it in (it looks like a black cat with two stainless steel bowls) they wouldn't go near it. Casey actually hissed at it. They thought it was another cat!!! Once they realized it wasn't moving, they got used to it. MooShoo actually tried swatting it!!:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: