Please Tell Me How To Handle Stray!

mylaliz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There are two feral cats who hang around where I work (office building). I leave food out for them, which seems to attract any stray or lost cat in the area. There's a beautiful gray male cat that showed up about two months ago. First time I saw him, he was in great shape, but not neutered. Friendly - must be lost. I filed a found report at the Humane Society and checked their entire log of lost reports - no luck. I have a Halo scanner that didn't detect a chip, but it doesn't read all chips. It's been two months of him showing up irregularly and he's now looking thin and has two huge scabs on his head. I don't think the wounds are infected, but I don't know. I cannot take him home. I currently have nine cats due to strays/lost cats/injured cats. I cannot take any more. No luck at the Humane Society and I can't find a normal home for him. If I get him fixed, I can take him to a friend's farm where he'll be one of many barn/outside cats. Will the other cats accept him, will he hate it, will he get any attention or love? I don't know. I don't want to take him to the pound because if he has health problems (like FIV), they'll put him to sleep. Do I take him to the farm? What's better for the cat? I'll be literally snatching him from his current life without his consent and without knowing if he'll be happier. I completely freeze up with indecision in these situations and delay taking action, but I'm worried about his injuries. Please tell me what I should do.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Welcome, and thank you for caring so much!
Reading through your post and the options you have and don't have, his current life is definitely not working for him, so I don't feel there are any concerns about consent or otherwise there.

I think there are antibacterial creams you can put on some wounds, but I'm guessing there. Do you have a vet you could speak with and ask if there's something you could apply to his head?
You'll be getting him neutered, can that vet help you with the head wounds?

Also, you might want to hurry with catching him, if he shows up irregularly and is this thin already with head wounds, his time alive is finite without your speedy intervention.

Can you keep him long enough to get him fattened up before taking him to the farm?

Because that's my suggestion, to take him to the farm. You don't have any other options and the farm is better than what he is dealing with now. Can you find out if they will look out for him at least a little bit? If their barn cats get hurt or sick do they have vet care for them?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mylaliz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! Welcome, and thank you for caring so much!
Reading through your post and the options you have and don't have, his current life is definitely not working for him, so I don't feel there are any concerns about consent or otherwise there.

I think there are antibacterial creams you can put on some wounds, but I'm guessing there. Do you have a vet you could speak with and ask if there's something you could apply to his head?
You'll be getting him neutered, can that vet help you with the head wounds?

Also, you might want to hurry with catching him, if he shows up irregularly and is this thin already with head wounds, his time alive is finite without your speedy intervention.

Can you keep him long enough to get him fattened up before taking him to the farm?

Because that's my suggestion, to take him to the farm. You don't have any other options and the farm is better than what he is dealing with now. Can you find out if they will look out for him at least a little bit? If their barn cats get hurt or sick do they have vet care for them?
Thank you for taking the time to respond to my plea for advice. I did grab him last night and took him to the vet this morning. As it turns out, the farm is now out of the question. He has FIV. I'm paying a ridiculous amount to get him neutered and the abscessed head wound drained and treated. I'm going to take him back to my house to stay in the laundry room (apart from my cats) until I can hopefully find an FIV sanctuary or someplace he can go. Poor thing... he's having such a rough time and he's the sweetest thing in the world. Even with two open wounds on his head, he's still constantly rubbing his head and face against me. He is the sweetest thing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mylaliz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In Willis, tx ts there is a ranch called clippedear.org. in Houston the vet ranch. Clipped Ear is owned by a vet
Thanks for the suggestion! Unfortunately, I'm far from there, but I appreciate the suggestion.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Can you contact wings of rescue, pilots n paws, or an organization that would be willing to drive him there? Or even the clippedear ranch, see if they know of or work with drivers, or know of a similar ranch or whatever closer to you?
You're doing so much for him, bless you for that!