Please tell me he will outgrow this

amyscrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Charlie is the cutest kitten, he is 14 wks old and I bottle fed him from about 3 days on. He is also a fearless nightmare of a kitten. He climbs shower curtains, my pretty living room curtains, shreds toilet paper, gets into cupboards and pulls things out, jumps and pulls things off the walls, and he attacks my 1 yr old constantly. She cries and screams and he just continues. He doesn't respond to hissing or spraying water, in fact he jumped in the shower with my son and scratched the heck out of his legs. He chews cords, any paperwork he finds and chewed up my nice new purse
I have had a lot of cats, fostered lots of kittens and have never had one that was this naughty. I am really hoping he will outgrow this. He gets neutered in 2 wks. He also has a very loving side that will melt your heart...it just doesn't happen as much as the other side

mtbee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh yes, you have a naughty kitty!! After he's fixed he may settle down! Hope he does! No advice but good luck with the little crazy guy!

kscatlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Abbey's like that, she's about 16 weeks old I think. She is very naughty! But SO cute and fun to watch. I finally got her to stop CLIMBING me. Not sure how, normally she doesn't respond to hissing but it seemed work to get her to stop climbing me.

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like a pretty normal active little boy. Neutering will calm him down in time. I would be concerned about the cords though. There is a cable you can get to cover the cords. It is pretty cheap if I recall. Someone else will know the name of it but you can get it at the hardware or big box home improvement store.

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have 3 that were bottle fed and 2 of them were like yours....naughty and full of mischief. They are now 2 yrs old and have mellowed. I did notice that their behavior improved after being neutered.

What mine responded to better than anything I tried was blowing air at their face and those plastic straws. Sometimes I had to blow air at them several times to get their attention, but it worked and the next time they responded faster. I kept plastic straws everywhere. Any time they were doing something "bad" I would stick a straw in their mouth or drag the straw around to get their attention elsewhere.

As for the drapes and shower curtains....I folded the drapes high over the rod (the look was pretty decent) and folded the shower curtain over the rod so everything was out of reach. I used twist ties to secure cords and duct tape to tape them to the floor or wall. Kitten proofing in a creative way will deter some of the behavior and they will not be interested in curtains, cords, etc. When they are a little older it is not a problem.

Being consistent, even if they don't respond right away, really paid off in the end. It was a matter of redirecting them from an inappropriate behavior to an acceptable behavior.

Mine did grow out of the "kitten crazies". Hang in there!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amyscrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the ideas. This morning he tried to fish the betta out of its bowl and spilled the bowl everywhere. He is in more trouble than my 2 yr old