Please someone help me!! Mast cell tumour

dartagnan3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat had a small mast cell tumour removed seven weeks ago. They didn't give him an antihistamine shot before removing it in surgery. Now for the past five weeks he itches his neck and licks himself more than usual. Do you guys think it's b/c he has cancer inside him. Oh and his tumour came out benign from the pathologist report. My question really is if anyone experienced cat itchy after mast cell tumour removed

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
Since the biopsy showed the tumor was benign, you don't need to worry about him having cancer inside.  I've never had a mast cell tumor removed from one of my cats so don't know the answer about excessive itching afterwards but I do have a guess as to what's going on.  All the licking and scratching has either prevented complete healing or else it's triggered an inflammation reaction.  Talk to your vet about this.  He or she might want you to put your cat in a cone to break the cycle. Also, ask about giving your cat something like benedryl to help with the itching.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dartagnan3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you So much see what happened was before he went in to remove the mast cell I noticed the nodule was red and he was itching around his neck before. Also he started to have three weeks later after surgery he would have soft poop but still somewhat formed and some normal. What I'm thinking did anyone have an itchy cat and poop being affected by it?? I'll ask the vet but what if too much histamine was released into his body and that's what's causing him to have mushy then normal poop?? He's on metronidazole 25mg one in morning and one at night. So far since he's been on it since thurs his poop is way more mushy not diarrhea but really mushy.