Please Send Prayers and Positive thoughts toward Huckleberry...

jb68711

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My Huckleberry has been admitted at the vet and is being treated for dehydration and anorexia. My vet suspects something wrong with his kidneys and gave me a pamphlet on chronic kidney failure in cats. He's only 8 1/2 years old. I started noticing his loss of appetite and loss of weight. Then I started noticing him walking like he was unbalanced. She told me that I had two options: to leave him at the vet to be treated (fluids, blood work, medication, etc)  for 2 days and see how he responds, or to cross the bridge.

Needless to say, this was heart wrenching. I thought I would have at least a few more years with him. If he responds well and starts eating again, I can take him home in 2 days. If not, I'm gonna have to put him down. If I am able to take him home the doctor will give instructions on aftercare. The information I was given says that this treatment is used to prolong a cats' quality of life, for a few months and often a few years. If he relapses after I take him home, that's it for him. It was a very hard decision, 1. because I have to borrow money for it and 2. because the doctor told me his condition is serious. I have hope that he can bounce back from this and couldn't imagine not exhausting the only option.

I was told that positive changes (if any) would be noticed in 24 hours. Thank you for reading and I appreciate your concerns.

Last edited:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Oh, poor Huckleberry. I'm so sorry to hear this. I hope you get some good news from the vet tomorrow.

helsic

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your Huckleberry, he looks gorgeous in the pictures! I hope he can recovers and spend more years with you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jb68711

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much Norachan and Helsic, your responses really mean so much to me. I appreciate it tremendously and am staying positive

forrestmeows

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Poor Huckleberry! I'm truly sorry that he's not doing well. :hugs: Wait and see what the blood work shows. Also, you might want to check with another vet.

I will pray for you and Huckleberry! Sending love your way. :vibes::vibes::vibes::rbheart: Keep us posted. He's such a cutie.

mnm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
ohhhh I sure hope there's good news.... I'm so sorry.

Loving Mickey

Mickey , my heart and soul Angel kitty
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I am so sorry to hear about your kitty. Huckleberry is such a beautiful cat and still very young. I hope he pulls through and you have many more years with him.If this vet can't help your cat I would definitely get a second opinion.It is sad that too many vets tioday just say oh your cat is too ill and needs to be put to sleep.There are times when a cat can improve with a caring vet.Prayers for you and Huckleberry! !

jb68711

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone! I can't reply extensively right now (at work on my phone), but I appreciate the kind words so much. The vet called me yesterday morning telling me huckleberry is responding well and ate a little bit at a time... So he's improving. I'm about to call right now, I haven't heard anything today. Will keep updating
-Jimmy and Hu
ckleberry

jb68711

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I just got done talking to the vet. She says his second blood test doesn't show much improvement than two days ago. I'm wondering if it's worth it to get a second opinion... Financially it's hard. And if I take him to Another vet, they have to do blood work and diagnosis all over again, right?

empirefalls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Prayers to Huckleberry.

If you think you may have to lay him down to sleep,soon i learned this advice some time ago with my cat that was still in good spirits, rubbing her nose on me, but in very bad health: 'it is better to lay a cat down too early than too late' .What i mean is, my cat was in very bad health but i hesitated to lay her down to sleep right away because i thought it was too early., Three weeks  later she passed away  in a  more agony way/ .  I learned it would have better to put my cat down to sleep too early, than too late.

Last edited:

forrestmeows

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I will keep praying for poor little Huckleberry! [emoji]128571[/emoji][emoji]10084[/emoji]️[emoji]128571[/emoji][emoji]10084[/emoji]️

Loving Mickey

Top Cat
Purraise
The second vet would not necessarily have to repeat the blood work.All the tests that was done with the first vet could be faxed or sent over to the second vet.You have that right.You are just requesting a second opinion.The second vet may know of something to do that the first vet didn't. Again he could have the same opinion as the first vet.You just never know.Some cats may improve even a little with a caring compassionate vet.Whatever you decide to do I am sending big hugs and prayers to both you and Huckleberry. Believe me I understand your pain all too well Take Care!!

jb68711

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all! Thanks again for your encouragement and time to reply to my post.

Huckleberry is now back home in my care, along with some antibiotics and medicine. He's been eating and drinking pretty well. Taking it day by day, of course. The vet wants to see him again in a week to check on his levels, as I said his second blood test were better, but by very little. I'm thinking of going to a different vet in a week to recheck his levels so I can get a second opinion at the same time. I'll update again tomorrow night.

If you think you may have to lay him down to sleep,soon i learned this advice some time ago with my cat that was still in good spirits, rubbing her nose on me, but in very bad health: 'it is better to lay a cat down too early than too late' .What i mean is, my cat was in very bad health but i hesitated to lay her down to sleep right away because i thought it was too early., Three weeks  later she passed away  in a  more agony way/ .  I learned it would have better to put my cat down to sleep too early, than too late.

@empirefalls

It's so hard, I know you know. I did think I may have to lay him down... but I couldn't without trying other options. If he was in a permanent state of suffering, I would have to accept it, bite the bullet, and let him go. I just had to exhaust my options, if there is a chance of him living a few more years with a good "quality of life". If I put him down without trying anything, I'd constantly wonder how it would have been if I did explore the options.

@Loving Mickey  

Thanks for recommending a second opinion, it really did strike a chord with me... About a year ago, Huckleberry had some weird skin thing (a spot on his arm that was hairless and seemed irritated), I couldn't tell if it was just his bald skin or if it was some kind of growth. The first vet I took him to said it was bizarre, never seen anything like it, etc... should plan on getting it removed. Then the second vet diagnosed it as "alopecia" and that the area was irritated. He told me to put some neosporin on it and it healed and was all better in 2 weeks.

Last edited:

forrestmeows

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Please don't give up on Huckleberry! It sounds like he's turning around. For some reason, Huckleberry strikes a chord with me. Keep trying. I hope he's doing better. :heart3:

I will continue to pray for him! Sending lots of love. :vibes: :hugs::vibes:

jb68711

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks @ForrestMeows

Well he was eating and drinking great yesterday but didn't seem to eat or drink at all today (Saturday). I will check on his food and water again in tomorrow. My mom picked him up while I was at work and because I'm borrowing the money from her, so she paid for his stay. She didn't get the at home fluid therapy because she wasn't comfortable with doing it, and if I wanted to do it they would need to show me how. I don't have the money right now for that, and hate to ask her for more than she has already paid. ANOTHER thing is, he'll drink from the sink (He's always been drawn to it.) So I actually did put him in the sink and ran the water low and he licked at it. I bought a "fountain" for both my cats a while ago, but Huckleberry wasn't very impressed with it and still isn't... maybe I should look into getting a different kind.

Loving Mickey

Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Just checking in to see how Huckleberry is doing.I think of him often and really want him to get well.I can understand your mom being nervous in regards to giving him the fluids.My vet had suggested I give them to my cat Mickey who has since passed.He had cancer.I was also uncomfortable giving them so I kept bringing him to the vet to have him do it.Many people give them though with no problem. I just didn't want to do anything wrong and make my cat worse or more uncomfortable. The fluids are important as they keep the cat hydrated.You can try syringe feeding him some water if he isn't drinking enough.Also wet food is good as it contains a good portion of water.It is very important that he continues to eat and drink.I do hope he is feeling better.Hugs to you both!!