Please send positive thoughts for Mukluk.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cyndr03

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They did not get enough cells to determine if it's cancer. They could get more cells using a "ultrasound trucut biopsy." The vet who can do that is 30 miles away. Not sure of the cost. If it's cancer the IVP clearance study would be $500 or $600. And I don't know what the cost of the nephrectomy would be- assuming that were the option. I can afford this not easily but can do it... but not a kidney transplant (thats apparently $10,000?) I am taking her in today to get subQ fluids (and learn how to give them). Mukluk just threw up. I am wondering if maybe it would be kinder to just put her to sleep. I'm not ready to do that yet but it breaks my heart for her to be sick. She is so thin. The vet I spoke to was of the opinion that she does have CRF. I am so sorry about this whole thing.

optionken

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kidney Tansplant are 11,000. You also have to keep the donor Cat. I was one of our options with Stripe when she had Crf and it would have been at Uc Davis. We talked about it with Yoshi also but he didnt qualify last year. I have seen Cats that had the transplant and our doing great.

cyndr03

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mukluk seems to be feeling a little better today. I think the fluids helped. She's eating and has not thrown up (so far as I can tell) since yesterday. This am she has been eating her breakfast and jumping up on the kitchen table to be petted (and purring). I decided that terminally ill cats are allowed on the kitchen table. I will talk to the vet about scheduling the biopsy to determine if she has cancer. I am not sure what to do beyond that. If it's cancer and nephrectomy is an option I am just not sure I want to put her through that. I really question if she is strong enough and if in the long run it's worth it-you buy some more time (assuming she makes it through the surgery) but in the end its a terminal condition and she is going to die. If it isn't cancer, I'm also not sure I want to put her through all that needs to be done to prolong her life and the emotional roller coaster that goes along with it. At this point, I would probably try it for awhile but not sure if this worth it in the long run either. The kidney transplant is not an option due to the cost. Some of my concerns also are that I live alone and am often gone 12 hours a day so I don't know if that is compatible with the care that she may need. I really love this cat but I am also trying to be realistic. It's been less than a week since I've been dealing with all of this so I need time to think it through and talk to the vet etc. It is just terribly sad to have this situation. At least she seems to be feeling a little better today- but certainly not normal by any means. Thanks for all of your positive wishes and support- we greatly appreciate it!!!!

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Take it one day at a time. Enjoy every minute with her, and then know that what ever you decide, its not a wrong one. Its a decision made out of love for her.

Many Prayers and for Mukluk and you.

cyndr03

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mukluk got her first SubQ from me today. It seemed to go pretty well. I talked to the vet who does the ultrasound trucut biopsy and am pretty sure I have decided against it. It is expensive, potentially risky to her, and I am not sure it would be all that helpful. I just don't want to put her through any more pain. We are just going to take this one day at a time. I don't know how much time we have together but I will try my very best to keep her as comfortable as possible and to let her know how much I love her. When it is time to say goodbye I will know that I did what I felt was best for her.

angel_eyes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
the power of love is strong. i am hoping all is well for you and the kitty. i hear cats have an amazing ability to heal themselves. i am looking into some powrful all natural remedys by i think his name is Jansen i will have to ask my girlfriend in the morning. something i toomyself must look into. i am sharing your pain. it can be hard i am realizing too. i got a 50/50 of losing my 6 year old male tomorrow due to surgery. too sudden..i didnt get to say good bye. but i still have hope...

cyndr03

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Epilogue.  Mukluk rallied and did much better for a few years.  She went downhill pretty fast about 3 years ago and I ended up having her put down in May 2011 (had the vet come to the house because I didn't want her to have to go to the vet which she hated.  She was my best baby.  Even though it's been over 3 years I still miss her a lot.