Please read-re: the kids

kittyfoot

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Deb and Sandie,et al; I do understand your point,honestly. I am not questioning your viewpoint at all. You have your own expertise to draw on and as I stated I don't envy your job of bringing up kids in today's world. I would not dream of telling you how to raise your children, I am not a parent. You folks have my greatest respect in your endeavours to provide a safe upbringing for your child. Good luck to you.

I do think that if you all had concrns tho,it would have been better to voice them and/or request Anne to set ground rules at the beginning of the idea rather than wait until this late date. Here it just looks like cheap-shotting and I'm sure that was not your intent.

Deb25...one thing bothers me a little. Yes,Anne is running this site from a country outside the US. So what? The last time I looked this was not a US only site nor is this a US only issue. I DO hope that you are not implying that the views of the rest of us out here are somehow of less importance? Surely not.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

juicelyn0527

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have solved the problem. I will be sending home a NEW permission slip for my parents. This one will be quite explicit and will explain each detail of what we are doing. Then, if a parent objects- their kid doesnt participate. Easy enough. In the mean time, I will continue to be the teacher that does what I do everyday. Make my students better people. If any of you have any further concerns, feel free to voice them. At this point I dont much care. You destroyed my beautiful night of sleep and made me so angry that I my good intentions are being questioned so. Thanks a bunch. Id like to think that you all did this out of good intentions, but then I have read the previous threads about Max...hmmmm

dtolle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My son is in kindergarten, so I feel I am "knowledged" and at least have the right to voice an opinion here since I have first hand experience.

A child can be "lured" away probably more easily by just a stranger in person, versus someone who finds them on a website, and then has to find them in person as well. I mean, lets be realistic, there are a lot of whackos out there, and they have access to our children everyday: getting on and off the bus, field trips, walking to and from school, playing at recess. I mean realistically speaking, I think the risk is far greater just letting your children outside.

Secondly, Jocelyn should be commended for caring enough about her students to expose them to such things as current events and the internet to teach them about everyday stuff. Most teachers have a chalk board and textbooks...........and that is supposed to teach our children everything they need to know for later in life??

Thirdly, it is our job as parents and teachers to do just that...TEACH!! If your child is taught that the internet is tool that can be educational and that they are not allowed to just surf and read, then I think what Jocely is doing is fine. I mean, you let your kids cross the street at that age, hell they have a chance of getting hit but you teach them first to look first and listen closely before they cross and then you let them do it with your supervision until they can do it alone. I as a parent encourage my child to learn as much as he can, and I teach him right from wrong. My child would never just surf, and I know that because I trust him. And just because these kids come from perhaps low income or dysfunctional homes, that doesn't mean they cannot be taught.

Lastly, I think that Anne deserves more respect than what you are giving her. She made a call, and I think everyone here needs to respect it and let Jocelyn and her kids enjoy this site.

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kittyfoot:

The issue of the U.S. is not to imply any thought of the U.S. being "better" than anyone else. My point is that I work in and understand the issues of school law as they apply to this country. I wouldn't begin to make the same observations as the situation applied in Canada, Israel, or anywhere else. I am not familiar with laws and policies in those places. Anne, being from outside the U.S., simply may not be aware of the red tape involved in the American school system.

Jocelyn:

My concerns have zero to do with the issue of your students posting over Max. They could have done research on cats and posted in health and nutrition, for all I care. The issue remains the same. I sat on my opinion on this to begin with because I had a feeling that it would be implied that my concern would be interpreted as "anti Max". I am not quite sure how I got labeled as someone who doesn't care about this animal abuse issue. I have not made it my personal crusade, but I admire those who have put time and energy into it. I'm sorry that you are angry. You made a judgment call that I don't agree with, and it happens to involve more than just your right to post whatever you want as an individual. As an educator, I have the safety and welfare of children foremost in my intentions, as well.

catarina77777

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jocelyn :angel2:
I hope all goes well for you today, as good thoughts are sent your way. I pray you achieve your goals today without a hitch and without any further thoughts of what happened yesterday.

It's a new day, smile and think of what I emailed you yesterday...."RIGHT NOW"

Hugs,
Catarina

imagyne

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
After thinking about these posts for a few hours, I think the best thing to do is answer everyone individually within this post.

But before I do, I want to make it very clear that I raised the issue of having children post here and was told that it had been worked out with Anne.. okay.. done deal.
I think that the Intent was good, as is the cause, and I believe that I've posted that previously... Having said that, here goes...

Kittyfoot

Of course you have a right to say what you feel, not that you need any validation from, but hey, this is a forum... lot's of us don't see eye to eye on issues, but at least (for the most part) we discuss it in an adult way. You're right, it is sad that we have come to this, it's a shame isn't it. As for paranoia.. I don't have an answer, it's funny though, well, not really, but when we lived in Southern California at the height of child stealing, our daughter was not allowed to play in the front yard unless one of us was out there to supervise, come close to locking one away... Sad we had to do that, but better safe than sorry.
As for kids seeing more risque things elsewhere, i tend to agree...
I don't really think that I have the power to make anyone feel in a way they don't want to, if our friend doesn't have anything to feel shamefull about, then our friend shouldn't, plain and simple. (more on that later)
Raising a child is hard, hardest thing I've ever done in my life, hardest thing is that you never know if you've done it right until it's too late to fix it.. you do the best you can...
Not sure if this was for all of us who voiced an opinion or for a specific person but, I have this feeling that a few folks didn't/haven't because of the fallout that would have ensued, it's happenned before and I can understand the delay, I simply didn't read it until last night, and I really don't think that expressing opinions based on facts as they are here is cheapshotting, again my opinion.

Cat..

We will definately have to differ on the "professional discretion", the was no judgement to be made, as I said, had it been one of my daughter teachers who had done it, I would have puled her from the class and been standing on the principals desk. Without parental consent ahead of time, it's wrong.. if you don't think so.. I'm okay with that, but call your local elementary school and find out what their policy is...
Doing research to find the URL's of schools is not what I had said.. go to the pages, the ones I went to that were sponsor by school districts showed not a picture one of various student within..
You may have posted pic of kids on here.. okay, but did you post their full names as well as thier addresses? No.. don't think so, and if you had, I would have said the same thing to you. So im thinking that that answers the why now part, at least on my end... As for being monitored, I asnwered that in an earlier post as well, but it bares repeating evidentaly. It is fairly obvious that that were not monitored all that well as there is at least 3 who posted the full name and at least one who posted an email address. I bring that up because Juicelyn herself made it a point to explain how well they were/are being monitored and that wouldn't happen, I think it puts the MODS in an unfair position.

As for the rest of your post, it really doesn't matter about where the kids come from, their homelife whatever, nor does it really matter the likelyhood of someone finding this info and doing something with it. What is at issue, at least for me, is the fact that it was done without prior permission from the parents, and from someone who is entrusted with our childrens well being on a daily basis, it was wrong. Schools require parents to sign letters allowing there children ACCESS to the net, not to have this info posted. As far as that goes, no matter how much Juicelyn wanted to do a good thing, fact is that she represents, or is suppose to, the policies of the school, weather she agrees or not. I am indeed making an inference here.. the school does require such permission, therefore it must also have rules regarding posting of info as well. That is not speculation that is a fact. Again, it was a good idea, I think it should have been done alot different. If I hurt anyones feelings with what ive posted, I really can live with that.
I don't nessesarily feel i'm being judgemental about the person cat, her actions yes, most definatly, which I beleive to be wrong.

Dtolle..

As for your first paragraph, I have no hard data to disagree, except to say that, there are pervs out there who have done exactly that... found a picture on the net and then found the person... it's fairly easy to do, and I don't think a teacher should make it any easier.

I have not sad anything as to weather Juicelyn cares.. its obvious she does, as Ive stated many times, it is the way in which she did it.. So ask yourself.. would you have approved of that had it been your child?

I agree, that is our jobs.. but if you think for one minute that kids will do the right thing all the time, every time, well, I disagree. Kids make mistakes, do thing they aren't supposed to, no matter how much we love them and trust them. It's what they do, it's also how they learn...
As for the part about where they come from and their ability to learn... unless I missed something, that wasn't brought up, at least not in the context to which you refer.

I also fail to see where anyone has disrespected Anne, if nothing else it is because we respect Anne that this is being talked about. If you don't see that, perhaps if you read all the parts about liability issues some of us were concerned about then you might see it.

Juicelyn...

I'm glad you sending permission slips home.... Doesn't solve the problem though.. fact is, as I see it, those should have gone home before any of this was posted.. Opt-out learning exercises, doesn't work either... there's a point of law about that somewhere. Let's just say they say no, I dont want my child to participate... guess what.. to late.. they already have. As for the rest of your post, no-one doubts the fact that you are trying very hard to make a difference, simply that part of the way in which you tried to do it, was to some of us, not right. If I made you angry, Okay, I made you angry... as far as having good intentions, well, my intentions was to express my feeling about the situation, which I think I have made abundantly clear. I just now wonder, why, having the conviction to stand for what you beleive in, are you so readily trying to "fix" something that you didn't think was broken in the first place?

Ken

KF.. I probably just took your title....

kittyfoot

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ken..tell you what;we'll share the title on a rotational basis.
If all else fails I've got a match and we can go start our own hot spot.

I'm glad to see that you,Deb25 and all the others are concerned about the kids. That's highly commendable.

I do wish tho that these concerns could have been addressed a couple of days ago when the plan for this thread was announced,rather than half-way thru the process. That's what I meant by looking like cheap shotting.I know you aren't.

Further,every admin course I ever took taught me that you NEVER publicly chastise a person about their project. Doing so in this context gives the appearance of trying to railroad the effort and that is unfortunate. How would you feel if an exec from a company you don't work for walked in and started running down the job you're doing? I guess our admin styles are just different.

imagyne

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
About the admin...

you are, of course, right...

I think that I just get bent rather quick about this kind of issue, more so because of the circumstances involved, but, as Im sure you had noticed, The original poster was the one who started the thread.
Had this been a company, I would have handled it differently. Turns out that there's been all sorts of the same kind of posting in the thread it was started about... I'll stay out of that one..

*smiles*
Ken

juicelyn0527

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to thank all of you for your kind comments and concerns. I have spoken to a number of parents re: this matter and they are in complete support of what I am doing. In addition, in discussion with my mentor within the school, our paperwork covers this situation. Again, your concerns are appreciated. However, the goal was never to put my kids at risk...I know you might find that hard to believe. Have a wonderful time...

imagyne

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
but I will say this...

complete agrrement or not, your own school district doesn't even put name with pics... or even discernable faces on the net..
I can see you're not going to get the point and that's okay.... but I know you'll never teach my child.

And I am having a wonderful time Thanks...

Even having to step over the smugness

Ken

catarina77777

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Well, be that as it may Ken, I just wanted to say that finally being able to access this site, I'm soooooo happy for Jocelyn to teach these children and give them the opportunity to learn that their voices are being heard by many for fighting for a just cause.

Why, they may even learn some Internet Ettiquette :laughing2 Something, I think could be of great value on or off the Internet.

I really don't think putting in the digs were necessarry though, not to mention, I really never expected that out of you.

Catarina

juicelyn0527

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ken, I just want to say that I took some time away from this situation and then came back to reread your most recent (and longest) comments. I truly appreciate your concern. I mean that with all sincerity. However, I have quickly discovered and have begun to understood what a FLAME was. I have had my backside ripped apart by a number of people on this site. My bottom line is this- it was/is my understanding that my consent forms that I currently have are acceptable. You ask, however, why I would be so quick to fix something I don't think is broken. I would like to respond and say that IMO it isnt, however, seeing that a number of you had concerns (which have never been a problem in my past, including posting my kids on my personal webpage) I wanted to give my parents the opportunity to make the choice. I have dealt with a number of schools that show the students, as stated b4 my own page has my kids on it. It has never been an issue. The intent wasnt to put them at harm, and I guess, maybe in my complete and utter failure in your and DEB25's eyes, I didnt think it to be harmful. I am frustrated in the manner the concerns were addressed. You ripped my idea to shreds and insulted me. Not appropriate in my eyes. Finally, I was not being SMUG. I am not a smug person. However, as a teacher, psychologist, nurse, parent, lunch lady, lice checker, school supply buyer, and all the other jobs I do daily, not to mention a yankee in a southern state, I have to have confidence. That includes not allowing people to ruin 2 nights in a row. I have taken this to prayer...its out of my hands. It sounds to me like you are a wonderful and caring father- I just hope you reprimand your children with more respect than I was shown. Seriously- there are appropriate ways to handle things. I am not only addressing you, but also our future administrator. Try tearing into a teacher in public like you have done me...If it were me, I would have already called my union rep. only on the principle in which I was treated. I dont deny PMs..

imagyne

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cat..

Seems that its okay for you to get little "digs" in from time to time, and extremely quick to point at others just as quick.. especially when they don't agree with you.. I accept that..

As for flaming, Juicelyn, you haven't been flamed, not even close. Remember that you are the one who started this thread, and if you can't take the comments then perhaps you shouldn't have. As DeD25 and I, well, it is fairly obvious that you haven't paid much attention, otherwise you would have noticed there is more than just Deb and I unhappy about the why you did this... I guess they have more sense than we do and recognized that beating their head against a wall wouldn't do any good.

Tell ya something, You have absolutely no idea what kind of father I am, and your little dig trying to upset me didn't work..
Ive raised three kids, have spent the last 20 years dealing with "kids", I know that probably doesn;t come close to all the experience you have however.

As for dealing with teachers, union rep or no, I have stood up and protected my children from teachers who thought they were doing the right thing several times, not a task I take lightly definately not one I have ever lost, not when kids are involved.
I've read your district policies on internet use, as generic as they are, I really believe that should this be challenged by a parent, it would not be a light matter, at least not as light as you make it out to be. I also know that sometimes in an efort to do what we think is right, fair and just, we blind ourselves to reality.. What's that saying... the road to ruin is paved with good intentions..

I'm done with this, and I truly hope it all works outs and the kids get something out of it...

Ken

catarina77777

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What can I say Ken, you're right...I have done that...I just said that I never expected it out of you...in other words, I thought you weren't capable of my own faults...

So, it was more than what it appeared. I hope that we can remain friends and there's no hard feelings

Catarina