Please read .... Not just for cat owners

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
she has another accupucture appt next week ( she is taking Kandies ) and I will ask about the epi pen...

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is so scary. And a lot of things to be allergic to!

My brother has a severe reaction to eggs resulting in anaphylaxis. They always seemed to make his eczema slightly worse but nothing too awful, then one day boom we're rushing him to the doctor because he's swelling up and can't breathe.

He was allergic to so many animal proteins that he's now a strict vegan, and his allergies have gone completely.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad you posted this. I had no idea that dangerous reactions can appear in cats who never had them before. So now I'll know to be alert every time.

And based on some things I've read here in the forums, I don't think I'll ever let a vet take my kitties out of my sight again.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
An update and a PLEASE keep an eye out for weird signs and get the ER Xrays yourself

Gigi as many know is still ill... At this pt it looks like CUSHINGs disease ( her diet hide the most tale tell signs).... Gigi appreared to have asthma and I was treating her for it ... When the steriods and herbs didnt clear it her vet took blood.... One of her liver enzymes is 1100 ( normal is 15-89( ten months ago that same enzyme was in the 200s ) .... This prompted my vet to take a look at the xrays the ER vet took ... She didnt have them, luckily one of the techs also works the ER clinic and was able to get them... Her liver was enlarged at that time ... Vet took new xrays and liver was still enlarged...

MORAL of story no matter how silly the issue sounds talk to your vet ... oh and make sure the ER or any other vet used gets the tests , xrays and reports to your vet ..

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for this important reminder ....
Gigi

kittymonsters

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

An update and a PLEASE keep an eye out for weird signs and get the ER Xrays yourself

Gigi as many know is still ill... At this pt it looks like CUSHINGs disease ( her diet hide the most tale tell signs).... Gigi appreared to have asthma and I was treating her for it ... When the steriods and herbs didnt clear it her vet took blood.... One of her liver enzymes is 1100 ( normal is 15-89( ten months ago that same enzyme was in the 200s ) .... This prompted my vet to take a look at the xrays the ER vet took ... She didnt have them, luckily one of the techs also works the ER clinic and was able to get them... Her liver was enlarged at that time ... Vet took new xrays and liver was still enlarged...

MORAL of story no matter how silly the issue sounds talk to your vet ... oh and make sure the ER or any other vet used gets the tests , xrays and reports to your vet ..
Your post is of great importance once again not just to cat owners. For us ourselves, we also should learn to understand our own bloodwork and always make sure our doctors have recieved it from others when applicable.

I am hoping Cushings in cats is similar to Cushings in dogs and that it is highly treatable. It is a rare disease in people but pretty common in horses and dogs. I have never heard of cats having it before. Sending lots of healing vibes to Gigi

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry to hear that Gigi is still not feeling well. I wish you all the best now that you know what you are dealing with, that it will be under control soon.