Please pray for stray kitty

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This story is making me SMILE
!!!!! Just lots of hugs
to you for what you are doing for Blue. To Blue for being a real trooper this week
! for continued good health and for Blue to find a new home

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We found out today that Blue is hyperthyroid. My vet was concerned that she is eating so voraciously and has not gained any weight, so she did an in house blood test today. 4.7 is the outer range of normal and Blue's T-4 came back 5.

I don't know what this will mean for Blue's future at the shelter. I had no way of contacting the Shelter Manager who will be picking Blue up tomorrow to let her know this latest development. (the shelter is closed on Mondays, and she, the shelter manager, was off)

My vet said she would speak to Shelter contact in the morning. Please say a prayer, or send vibes that somehow this works out all right for Blue. I can't bear the thought of getting her this far and then having to let her go. I can't take her. I have to consider the quality of life of my four (and myself) and a fifth cat is just not doable. I've been hoping someone at the vet would fall in love with her, and they all have. Many staff came up to me today to share a story about Blue. But as you can imagine, their homes are all already full, too.

Maybe the shelter has a foster network for special needs cats, I don't know. I want so much for this little cat to have a nice life. My vet is guessing she is about 10 years old, but we can't really know.

I've got some pictures I took today, just have to edit them for size. Her coat has grown in some and is very soft and thickening. But you'll see how painfully thin she still is.

Thanks for keeping Blue in your thoughts and prayers a while longer.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You know what though, you have done so much for Blue and if you didn't bring her in, she would definitely have had a terrible life outside and suffering with no treatment for this disease. Right now, she is happy, being cared for, has food galore, a litter box, toys, and people doting and loving on her
. Much more than she had before
. So that is all positive changes in her life. I hope that there is a foster situation through the shelter for special needs kitties such as Blue. Will pray for that

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here are pics I took of Blue yesterday. Her update is two posts up from this one

Skinny girl

Sweet girl

Smart girl (wanted to go back to her space, knew the door handle was the way to go)

Do you like my pretty whiskers? (she has HUGE whiskers!)

Blue is red with tabby markings on her face, tail and legs. Her Bib, Tummy and Paws are cream. Her eyes are yellow. She loves people and does not flinch at barking dogs noise coming from behind the door.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh poor think is sooooo skinny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

She found you for a reason, sweetie, and I just know she's meant to rescue someone!
I am pretty sure her needing a medication won't stop the shelter from taking in this sweetheart!

I am SO happy to hear how we'll she's doing - and the wonderful news about your vet!!!!!

jimmylegs

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
thanks for all the updates, she looks very happy, if a bit slim

i don't think her thyroid issues will have any affect on her getting adopted, people will fall in love with her immediately. and frankly, sometimes a well-pitched 'special needs' plea can actually make people want to step in and help. Since her issues sound manageable I bet she will be adopted in a flash!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OH MY is she ever sweet. I love her face
. She looks so thin and must eating like crazy. I bet once she gets on her medication and healthy food, she will fill out. Someone will adopt this gorgeous girl regardless of being hyperthyroid. Positive vibes to you and Blue for this

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh my goodness, she IS skinny, and sweet (belly rubs? Otto, NONE of your furbabies let you do that, do they?), and smart! I still wonder if someone at the Vet's office might not take her even still...who could let her go, sweetheart that she is? I'm in love with her
, and I haven't even met her

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for all your support you guys. It just means everything to me.

update to follow

Originally Posted by mrsgreenjeens

Oh my goodness, she IS skinny, and sweet (belly rubs? Otto, NONE of your furbabies let you do that, do they?), and smart! I still wonder if someone at the Vet's office might not take her even still...who could let her go, sweetheart that she is? I'm in love with her
, and I haven't even met her
I was surprised by the belly rub offer too, but as you can see I took her up on it immediately. Tolly, Jennie and Queen Eva are very generous with their Yummy Tummies, allowing me to rub them to my hearts content, only Mazy is a big tease and loves to show off her beautiful belly but I am not to touch, ever.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My vet left me a message that Blue was picked up this morning!
Vet said Shelter Manager did not seem dismayed about the hyperthyroid news and felt Blue has a good chance of finding a forever home. So..Blue's fate is out of my hands now.

It's kind of a weird...bittersweet?...feeling. In the past week I invested so much time and thought and energy into Blue...and now, just like that, it's over. I trust this shelter, I adopted Mazy from them, and they have a good sound screening process. But when I listened to the message from my vet I caught myself by surprise by bursting into tears. Partly happy tears, but a tug of pain, too, I've never been very good at letting go, which is one of the reasons I am not cut out for rescue work.

The Shelter Manager did not return my call or e mail. Perhaps, once they take an animal in, they feel no obligation to update the person who left the animal. Of course this is a different case, Blue is not a pet that I have dumped. But maybe it's just as well that I let go now and trust that I have given her the chance she needed to enjoy the rest of her life.

(I can, of course, watch the "pets for adoption" list on their website to see when she is listed, if I really need to know)

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
AW.
to you for getting Blue this new lease on life. I would have cried too. But she is on her way to a new life and I am certain she will find a home fast. Don't take it personally that the shelter manager didn't call you back. In fact, that is protocol. Once an animal is relinquished, they don't want to deal with the emotional ups and downs of someone calling to check on the cat. Just trust that you got her to safety now and great medical care too. You did a wonderful thing for this cat and went above and beyond what most would have done. OH you deserve lots of hugs and praise for what you did

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Feralvr

AW.
to you for getting Blue this new lease on life. I would have cried too. But she is on her way to a new life and I am certain she will find a home fast. Don't take it personally that the shelter manager didn't call you back. In fact, that is protocol. Once an animal is relinquished, they don't want to deal with the emotional ups and downs of someone calling to check on the cat. Just trust that you got her to safety now and great medical care too. You did a wonderful thing for this cat and went above and beyond what most would have done. OH you deserve lots of hugs and praise for what you did
Yes, I figured it was like that. Though this is a bit different, it's not like I dumped my pet at the shelter and am laboring under a lot of guilt. I know that shelter, and Blue will be well cared for while she waits for her soul mate to bring her forever home.

Thanks for your kind words!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I can just imagine it's a strange feeling.
Lauren really said it all, and so well.

Of course... maybe you can stop by the shelter in a week or two. ?

Many for Blue and for you!

And
for all you did for sweet baby Blue!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

Yes, I figured it was like that. Though this is a bit different, it's not like I dumped my pet at the shelter and am laboring under a lot of guilt. I know that shelter, and Blue will be well cared for while she waits for her soul mate to bring her forever home.

Thanks for your kind words!
Just more
. I did have a similar situation with a stray at my barn last year. This particular shelter would take "friendly feral's" from the TNR organization I go through. I had to bring this barn stray into this shelter and was not able to get information either about the cat. BUT - the TNR director was able to keep me abreast of the cat's situation as she talked with the shelter often. So she kindly let me know how my stray was doing. And he did get adopted after only about four weeks
. I too would go onto the shelter website and I could see his picture and story and kept tabs that way as well. I know it is hard NOT to feel guilty, but really you should not........ YOU saved Blue from a potentially terrible death trying to survive outdoors combined with her health issues (which would have done her in....) She is safe now and getting the care she so deserves, so just think about that. She is better off there than being alone outside

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Just more
. I did have a similar situation with a stray at my barn last year. This particular shelter would take "friendly feral's" from the TNR organization I go through. I had to bring this barn stray into this shelter and was not able to get information either about the cat. BUT - the TNR director was able to keep me abreast of the cat's situation as she talked with the shelter often. So she kindly let me know how my stray was doing. And he did get adopted after only about four weeks
. I too would go onto the shelter website and I could see his picture and story and kept tabs that way as well. I know it is hard NOT to feel guilty, but really you should not........ YOU saved Blue from a potentially terrible death trying to survive outdoors combined with her health issues (which would have done her in....) She is safe now and getting the care she so deserves, so just think about that. She is better off there than being alone outside
Thank you so much for your support and understanding. I do want to explain though that I do not feel guilty about anything.

When I mentioned guilt I was talking about the type of person who dumps their pet, then feels guilty so starts calling the shelter all the time trying to find out what is happening, after they have relinquished all right to care for that pet. I imagine that is why shelters don't follow up with animals after they enter the shelter, and I don't blame them for that.

I am thrilled that I was able to save Blue from more suffering, and give her this chance. She's an adaptable friendly cat and can adjust to just about any situation or change I think, as long as she gets lots of loving.

This is the first time I have rescued an animal that I didn't keep. As I think of the constant rain and wind and cold of the past week I can't help but feel anything but pure joy that Blue is not out in it, and is no longer suffering the mouth pain.

I am still marveling over my quick actions regarding Blue. I am not one to be decisive and think on my feet. And making phone calls just paralyzes me. And yet I made dozens of calls to vets and shelters, the radio station, the newspaper. I printed up flyers, and distributed them in an effort to find her home, though it became obvious very quickly that no one was looking for her. I was assertive to the shelter I wanted to put Blue in. I got her in to see the vet immediately and somehow found the strength of character to ask that she be kept there in the hospital, rather than putting her back outside. The money was the least of it, handing over my credit card I didn't feel a thing but enormous gratitude that I was able to to do it.

There is a little tug, that need to control what happens to her, to make sure she's okay, I think, that makes me kind of wish I could have kept her myself, but I truly did not feel a deep bonding with her, in spite of how loving she was to me, I did not feel that "meant to be" that would have made it impossible to not keep her myself.

Which is a very good thing, as I am quite happy with the four I have, and would not want to have their quality of life changed. Taking on a fifth cat, I would not have been able to afford to continue feeding them the food I am using, or take them for six month check ups any more and so on.

I wrote a much better reply in the wee hours of the morning, but the site froze and I lost it. It said what I wanted to say in a much more succinct manner, but this is the best I can do this morning!

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
from one gal who isn't cut out for fostering to another.....

Have faith that she is already in or will shortly be in a good forever home.

You are a hero to her.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I am still marveling over my quick actions regarding Blue. I am not one to be decisive and think on my feet. And making phone calls just paralyzes me. And yet I made dozens of calls to vets and shelters, the radio station, the newspaper. I printed up flyers, and distributed them in an effort to find her home, though it became obvious very quickly that no one was looking for her. I was assertive to the shelter I wanted to put Blue in. I got her in to see the vet immediately and somehow found the strength of character to ask that she be kept there in the hospital, rather than putting her back outside. The money was the least of it, handing over my credit card I didn't feel a thing but enormous gratitude that I was able to to do it.

There is a little tug, that need to control what happens to her, to make sure she's okay, I think, that makes me kind of wish I could have kept her myself, but I truly did not feel a deep bonding with her, in spite of how loving she was to me, I did not feel that "meant to be" that would have made it impossible to not keep her myself.

Which is a very good thing, as I am quite happy with the four I have, and would not want to have their quality of life changed. Taking on a fifth cat, I would not have been able to afford to continue feeding them the food I am using, or take them for six month check ups any more and so on.

I wrote a much better reply in the wee hours of the morning, but the site froze and I lost it. It said what I wanted to say in a much more succinct manner, but this is the best I can do this morning!
Beautifully said.....and darn good for a morning
It is incredible that when these situations arise it brings out the decisiveness and determination in ourselves to follow through and get resolution. We just do what we have to do to help these little strays, and I do surprise myself sometimes too, not being the assertive person I am. In a way, you both helped eachother......

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Beautifully said.....and darn good for a morning
It is incredible that when these situations arise it brings out the decisiveness and determination in ourselves to follow through and get resolution. We just do what we have to do to help these little strays, and I do surprise myself sometimes too, not being the assertive person I am. In a way, you both helped eachother......
Couldn't have said it better!

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I think I remember you saying something about a higher power at work in Blue's situation. Everything you've written reflects that, IMHO. Sounds like the high power blended into you and this is why you were doing things that aren't 100 percent typical of you. I am so glad. When that high power steps in, things happen, and often rapidly.

As I think of the constant rain and wind and cold of the past week I can't help but feel anything but pure joy that Blue is not out in it, and is no longer suffering the mouth pain.
I am so SO glad. She will no longer be blue