Please, Please Help!

Caidens.mom2010

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have a little male kitten. I'm not sure of his exact age as he was a stray but I believe he's around 10ish weeks old. He was a very curious, active, vocal cat. A few days after we got him, we came home to find our dog had gotten into the garbage where we had thrown some old raw hamburger meat away. We aren't sure if the kitten ate any, but since then (last weekend) he's been acting very funny. Here's an example, a few minutes ago he was laying on my leg when suddenly he got a strange look in his eyes (looked almost like a hallucination), pulled his head in to his chest (seems like his body tightens but gets floppy at the same time?) then fell off my leg. He does this quite a bit but the vet has been closed for Thanksgiving. Afterwards, he seems disoriented and lethargic. Very sleepy and almost completely unaware of his surroundings. I could lay him anywhere and he would just plop down and sleep. He seems fine between episodes (not 100% like before the garbage incident, but better). I am so worried! I've wondered about seizures or hyperesthesia but his symptoms don't match up perfectly. Does anyone have any clue what it could be??

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did the kitten get checked out when you brought him home? If not, well that is standard practice anyway, so a vet visit certainly makes sense asap.

Beyond that, it is a little hard to tell from your description exactly what behaviors you are seeing. It certainly sounds weird, but I'm not sure anyone is going to be able to tell you much, and a vet visit would be a good idea anyway if the kitten hasn't been.

I'm not hearing anything requiring you to drive 60 miles to the one animal hospital open on Thanksgiving weekend or anything like that, and am hopeful you are a first time owner misinterpreting behaviors. But again, it is hard to tell exactly what is going on from the description. Maybe post a video?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Agree not emergency but an experienced vet should see him when you can arrange it.

Yes it sounds as some type of seizures.

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
It does sound like seizures to me as well... how is he doing now?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I hope you can get him to the vet today. It sounds like the kitten may have ingested something he shouldn't have.

Is he living in the garage or the house?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I notice now, sitting at a good monitor, his third eyelid is showing. He has thus prob some infection / inflammation somewhere. It may be worms, but it may be something else more problematic.

IF its worms, its rather heavy - because many kittens have worms, but few get the third eyelid because of it.

All in all, wise if a good vet can check him up, as soon you can arrange it. C Caidens.mom2010