Please name my cat!

carrie640

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Lucy just died last week from oral cancer. It was very hard and, really, it still is. However, when asked why I am not in corner bawling my eyes out (and I was for a few days), I said that I have been grieving her since October when the entire ordeal started. I've been crying for five months over her.
sch
With that being said, my daughter (freshman in college) wanted me to pick her up from school and visit some shelters near school (maybe 45 minutes away. So, I did. I did not have any expectations and I found that I had no feelings/connections to any of the ones we saw that were available....until the last shelter. At the last shelter, we visited with a number of cats and I just did not feel a connection or anything. Not one. Then, the last cat came in. I don't know what sparked it, but I said, "She's the one". SHE IS THE ONE. And I just felt something...some connection I cannot place.

I went down and brought her home yesterday. Mandy and Patti are far from happy, but from the past experience, they bond well with other cats in time.

History: back when I brought Lucy home in 2007, I had a hard time bonding with her because I was still sad over Ashley. I couldn't even name her even though I knew Lucy was the one, I could not name her. That's when I came here (June 2007) and asked for help. You guys named her Lucy after Lucille Ball.

Enter today. We, by chance, had cats named over Peanuts characters. Obviously, Lucy was named here. We adopted Sally in 2010 (she died in 2021) and Sally came with her name. My husband brought in a trap and release a little over a year ago. He named her Patti...by total chance....and then we realized we had Peanuts characters. LOL Mandy came before Patti and was named after the Barry Manilow song (we love him to pieces). I suggested Violet or Freida (from Peanuts, too), but even though we decided on Freida, I can't feel it. I don't know if I am still cautious because of Lucy being so fresh or if Freida is just not the name. So....please name my cat!!!

She is a pretty affectionate cat....even with the very little time she's been home. I can only imagine how she will be once she is settled in and comfortable (the two other cats are NOT happy). She jumped in bed with me last night, got into my arm and snuggled in on her back. She is pretty laid back and doesn't seemed phased about new people or environments, but the big adjustment with her right now is Mandy and Patti. They just are throwing hissy fits (literally). She has gorgeous yellow eyes and a distinct looking face/head (the shape..not coloring). When I call out "Here kitty, kitty", she comes right out. Not a huge player with toys, but she does like the ones that are on a stick/pole and you can move it around (if that makes sense).

So, if you guys could name her, I'd be grateful!

She came with the name Sugar, but we do people names :)

Attachments

Biomehanika

Toxoplasmosis Mind Control Slave
Adult Cat
Purraise
Aww, she’s a beauty! When it comes to people names for girl cats, if I were to go with one of those, I’d probably pick a classic “grandma” type name so here’s a few that I can think of…

Agnes
Cordelia
Agatha
Adelaide
Flo (short for Flora or Florence)
Myrtle
Maude
Margaret
Wilma
Selma
Beatrice
Gertrude
Ethel
Esther
Gwendolyn

I could go on but you get the idea :lol:

Biomehanika

Toxoplasmosis Mind Control Slave
Adult Cat
Purraise
How about, to honour Lucy, another actress?

Grace (Kelly)
Audrey (Hepburn)
Doris (Day)
Elizabeth (Taylor)
Jayne (Mansfield)
Oooh, I love this idea. Apparently Lucille Ball’s best friend was another actress named Vivian Vance who worked on I Love Lucy with her, so I will add Vivian to that list too :vibes:

Ella Spell

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My first thought was Tabitha, like on Bewitched. I'm not sure why.

Then I thought of the silver screen actresses because of her colour.
Grace Kelly came to mind because she looks so graceful.

From Peanuts, I'd pick Marcie.
I was also thinking "Peanut" but she doesn't look like a Peanut.
I think she's more of a Violet than a Freida.

Whatever you choose, congratulations! She's a beauty!

How old is she and what's her history?

Ella Spell

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ooohhhh ^^^^ Ethel is good because of Lucille Ball's friend on the show.

Also Esther.

I'm feeling Letter E or T.

Ella Spell

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Charlotte !

From Charlotte's Web.

For short it could be Charli (which fits with Charlie Brown), or Lottie.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

carrie640

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We do have a Patti! It was with a Y until a relative of my husband chimed in! Her name is Patti with an I so we changed it :)

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
What about Winnie, short for Wilhemina? For some reason I thought W names when I looked at her pic. :tabbycat:

Emmypeps

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Willow
Macie
Diana
Rory (my cats name hehe)
Petunia (Tune)
Marilyn (Mari)
Corey (Coco)

Dewey

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Lilly
Sarah
Sam
Carla
Grace
Mindy
Sheila
Cindy
Mabel
Janet
Rita

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I thought Peanut but as for human names, I think since there's been a lot of names that end with the "e" sound, it could be good to stick away from that so she learns her own name, or things you won't end up shortening to an "e" sound. It could also help you connect to the name a bit easier.

Vivian is a good one!
Lleona
Margot
Terra or Thea
Iris
Emersyn
Claire
Alice

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had a kitten named Violet. I think it's a really pretty name. Plus, your girl has that beautiful blue/violet coloring.