Please let me sleep!!!!

marleyandme

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a kitten about 3-4 months old. I love him dearly but he is driving me crazy in the weeee morning hours. Each morning about 4am he jumps on my bed and purrs soooooo loud!! He mew's a few time and walks all around the bed waiting to be pet. If I stop petting him he knaws on my fingers!
Any idea why he is doing this and how to make him stop? Is it a phase? I cannot shut my door because the latch is broken! I've tried buy my older cat always opens it during the night to come in.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's doing it because he's a kitten who wants attention. Morning is a normal time period for a cat to be up and awake.

Since you can't shut him out you either have to get used to ignoring him or try tucking him in beside you to see if he'll go back to sleep for a bit. Otherwise it's just part of having a cat.

Look at the bright side.. It's not like you're having to get up to feed or change a baby's dirty diaper at 3 am.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marleyandme

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think I remember Marley doing this for a short period of time also, hopefully it passes quickly!!!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you're boring enough in the morning your kitten will lose interest after a while.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marleyandme

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I try to ignore him but hes too cute...Im a sucker! I'll try my best to be as boring as possible. LOL

samhainborn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You know, if someone comes up with a solution to this it would be great. Hubby and I are currently crammed into an 8X8 room with all 4 cats to sleep. They want to play all night, and the bed is pretty much the only space for them to do it. Hubby has been sleeping on the couch, and this is really hurting our relationship...

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might enjoy that. See my signature, one cat
can really change your life, the way you place things around the house, your sleeping patterns, and on and on

cruisermaiden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ignore him. If he bites or chews on you, put him on the floor then go back to sleep. Pay lots of attention to him in the morning and at night before you go to bed. Maybe an extra strenuous play session to wear him out so he will sleep. Or you could install a hook and eye latch inside your door and latch it that way, if the litter box isn't in there.

Good Luck!

samhainborn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I love Simon's cat. Lol. We have always joked that it was based off of Prissy girl. She's my face patter/nose nibbler. -sigh-

we don't mind a little nibbling, head butting, paw patting. It's when all 4 of them come running top speed over the top of us with all claws out. I'm not kidding. I look like a freshly plowed field in some places.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cococat

can really change your life, the way you place things around the house, your sleeping patterns, and on and on
OMG! I so love that cartoon! I have seen it before, but it just gets funnier each time

lauren_miller

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cococat

I laughed so hard when I saw that video! It really reminded me of my husband and Pandora, minus the baseball bat. LOL!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Except for the baseball bat, that is morning in our house! That's usually Whisper and Mollipop doing the bed and the kneading thing, with Boo purring in our ears. Bootser is on the floor, screaming for breakfast. Sometimes Pepe will join in and then we have a cat duet. Amber is usually right outside the doorway, so she can run to the kitchen once our feet hit the floor.

Oh, and for the record? This whole thing? Starts at 4:00 in the morning!!! Even on weekends!

If anybody figures out a way to make cats hush up, please tell us. The only time we really enjoy a good full night's sleep is when we're in a hotel!

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fix the door = 5 mins.
Fix the cat = 5 weeks.

Cats are crepuscular, meaning that they are most active early in the morning and approaching night, and rest in between, as this is ideal hunting time since cats can see so well in low-light conditions compared to their prey.

For my cats, generally this means that they are hungry first and foremost, and otherwise perhaps just plain bored.

Any reaction is a reaction better than being ignored, be it negative or positive. Fix the door.

2coolcats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my kitties do the same! I have learned to sleep through their early morning routine. Usually they will lay down with me after a while.

I tried to put them out of the room before but they just took turns singing [loudly] at the door. The longest I've been able to ignore that is about 45 minutes before I just break down and let them in.

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by 2coolCats

I tried to put them out of the room before but they just took turns singing [loudly] at the door. The longest I've been able to ignore that is about 45 minutes before I just break down and let them in.
Put one of these by the door:

They will recognize it and know not to get near after the first spray scares the poop out of them. Its just harmless compressed air with a motion sensor.

And unlike a squirtgun, they can't associate it with you, so no resentment/fear towards you.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My kitten Queen Eva is 13 weeks old. She is entering that go go go stage. What do I do? I play with her.

She gets several half hour interactive play sessions with me every day. I play until I see her flop down to rest for a moment. She's ready to play again in a few minutes, but by then the edge has been taken off and she's content to find a toy and play on her own.

She comes to bed with me at night and sleeps the night through on the bed with me and the other three (adult) cats.

Kittens have a ton of energy, and they need daily attention from their humans. If you play with your kitten every day, at least twice (morning, before you leave the house, for example, and evening before bed) you will have a happy well adjusted baby.

Cats love routine. Playing interactive Games at the same time every day, she will soon learn that time is her time with you. Once she gets enough of your attention, she will be content to amuse herself at other times.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have six cats, not one of which will wake me for petting or for food.

The food part was easy. I never feed the cats within a half-hour of waking and, generally, not until after I've had my shower. This keeps them from associating my waking up with their getting breakfast. Although I do often have several of them waiting for me when I get out of the shower. *smile*

Training them not to rouse me for a petting session was a little more difficult, but boiled down to treating them like I was one angry momma kitty every time they woke me, including hissing and growling at them. Spencer was my most persistent cat, but finally stopped after I hissed and actually snapped at him one very late night.

I kept telling myself "think like a cat / talk like a cat" don't yell, don't swat, just hiss, etc. I only vaguely remember the final incident, but he'd roused me yet again with a single claw to my lower lip (gah!, that hurt!) and I actually awoke with an angry hiss and just snapped. I think my snap snicked the air about an inch from his face.

He no longer wakes up me in the middle of the night.

Oh, and as someone else does - I give lots of loving just before I go to sleep and first thing upon waking up.

laceface

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My Lennon used to be HORRIBLE about this. And not just in the AM, but all night. He would sit on your face, bite your chin, lick your face...and purr, oh so loud. I started pushing him away, and only loving on him if he was laying down by my side... He loves his loving, so he got the picture pretty quick. Most of the time now, he lays down down near my side, and I half asleep pet him for a second, and there he stays! He does still occasionally come bug me, but he is at least better. He also knows to leave my fiance alone- he drops him on the floor, lol.

Good luck with your little one, hopefully you can teach em to let you sleep!

fluffee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our Daisy did that to my husband when she was young. Only she would stand his chest and put her nose/mouth into his (he was snoring, just like a man) and her whiskers would wake him up. As soon as he was awake, she meow and get down off him,,,,,lol This went on for about 6 months, until she got a little older. Now, if she thinks we do not know she in the house, she meows, and we answer. She'll come running and purring on my husband...lol

I kept telling him it was his snoring that had her confused..

2coolcats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ducman69

Put one of these by the door:

They will recognize it and know not to get near after the first spray scares the poop out of them. Its just harmless compressed air with a motion sensor.

And unlike a squirtgun, they can't associate it with you, so no resentment/fear towards you.
Thanks! I think I might make an investment in this. I don't have any plants in the house because of the kitties and I bet this will let me have a vase of fresh flowers every now and then....I may even be able to have a Christmas tree that doesn't get climbed