Please help....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

darincm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom

I wouldn't want another kitten from that breeder. They aren't very good breeders.

It would be nice if there were an independent association in which membership was voluntary, and you could look up breeders who belonged to it, and be assured that they were following certain guidelines and would be kicked out for not doing so. The govt wouldn't be involved, and less legality... but it might help a lot in situations like this, even if they can't make them refund or replace they could still remove them from the approved list or whatever, like a BBB for breeders.
This is exactly what I am talking about

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom

I wouldn't want another kitten from that breeder. They aren't very good breeders.

It would be nice if there were an independent association in which membership was voluntary, and you could look up breeders who belonged to it, and be assured that they were following certain guidelines and would be kicked out for not doing so. The govt wouldn't be involved, and less legality... but it might help a lot in situations like this, even if they can't make them refund or replace they could still remove them from the approved list or whatever, like a BBB for breeders.
Ok, but who's going to pay for this? This sort of association costs money to run. How is it funded, how are decisions enforced?
I belong to a breed specific association that has an ethics comittee to address complaints lodged against bengal breeders that belong to the association. Most bengal breeders don't belong to this club, so there is no way to enforce anything on those breeders.
If the breeders have to pay to belong to a governing body, most won't join and especially not the ones who would actually be in need of governing.
Just my two cents.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

darincm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I promised my I would not reply to this thread again, but we have good news finally!

he has a Shunt!! The good news is that now we know what we are dealing with. The other good news is that this can managed medically for sometime until we can afford surgery.

Our vet said the Guelph teaching hospital will be very interested in him because this is so rare in cats, so they may cut us a break on the surgery.

Our breeder also finally said yesterday that if he has the shunt, he would replace him or refund our $700.

Hopefully my last post on this subject

siameseohio

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wonderful news!
I hope that with treatment he does better. It has become apparent that you have become very attached and fallen for your kitten. I'm hoping that the breeder does follow through and refunds your money if that's what you decide.

I also think an association would be a good idea. I don't know how it would be funded, however associations do exist that aren't government run and they find funding, so monies are available. A potential means could be from breeders paying a small membership fee. If these types of issues are prevalent, then people do need some type of recourse because it is obvious that darincm could have used someone mediating between them and this breeder.

Itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s important that people get a contract and understand their contract when they purchase a kitten. That comes through education. Likewise, if people know to ask a breeder if they are a member of such an association and the breeder isnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t, then the client could choose to go elsewhere to get their kitten. I imagine more breeders would be more likely to consider membership in such an association.

If the organization is not bias in either direction, then it could be beneficial to all involved (in my opinion).

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by darincm

I promised my I would not reply to this thread again, but we have good news finally!

he has a Shunt!! The good news is that now we know what we are dealing with. The other good news is that this can managed medically for sometime until we can afford surgery.

Our vet said the Guelph teaching hospital will be very interested in him because this is so rare in cats, so they may cut us a break on the surgery.

Our breeder also finally said yesterday that if he has the shunt, he would replace him or refund our $700.

Hopefully my last post on this subject
Thats great that its manageable. Please please make sure all pro's and cons are discussed about the surgery. Its a major one. sounds like your little guys shunt isnt as bad as my guys was.

Good luck.

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catsallover

Uh, what's that?

Oh, and glad it can be fixed!
Portosystemic shunts are either single or multiple vascular communications with the portal circulation that bypass the liver to join the systemic circulation.

It can be operated on but they have no guarentees that it wont come back, and in some cases they find more than one shunt, ect. I hope for the best for this little one.

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I think I get it!

And yep, will pray it is a "simple" and permanent fix for him.