please help! =]

kipper3972

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
ahhhhhhhh
im so confused... my cat is 18 and some days she scoffs the whole house out and other day she isnt hungry atall... also i have noticed a couple of worms things around her butt ,but there is non in her poop
does anyone know what this is? is that food behaviour normal in a old cat?

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Any change of behaviour or odd behaviour in a cat (especially one of that age) warrants a trip to the vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kipper3972

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i cant take her to the vet at the moment i am ill .. she is sleeping alot and she doesnt act as if she is ill atall.. oooo im confused lol

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by kipper3972

she is sleeping alot and she doesnt act as if she is ill atall.. oooo im confused lol
Cats are very good at hiding an illness, and from what you've described then it does sound like she does need to be checked over asap.

If your unable to take her can a friend or member of the family do it for you?.

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The worms your seeing is more then likely tape worm segments. She should be de wormed at her age. Do take her to vets as soon as you feel better and can get her there.

kipper3972

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i cant take her asap i suppose i could ask my mother. but she isnt very i dunno.. moveable =P she is acting perfectly alryt and yes the worms do sortof look lyk rice but i have only seen 3 of them in about 1 month and she doesnt have fleas and her coat is healthy.. she is still eating/drinking and going to the toilet and there is no worms in her plops
what is tape worm exactly and what are the syptoms?

kipper3972

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
but i wont be able to take her for quite a while
what do i do
oh dear is it serious can it wait a month or so.. :|

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First, call and speak with your vet if you haven't. Explain the situation, what you saw, and they might prescribe deworming medication without having to do a full checkup. Then, all you will need is the money for the medicine and someone to go pick it up.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Unless you are a full client and have a good record with this vet, he or she will not prescribe medicine without seeing the cat. Worms are a serious issue and rob the cat of important nutrients. Your cat has a large host worm somewhere in her intestines and these rice-like kernels are segments of that host worm. Your vet will need to see the cat, weigh her and prescribe the meds. Plus your cat has fleas- tapeworms means fleas. So your cat really does need to see a vet so talk to your mom and tell her that if the kitty doesn't get help, she continue to get sick. She needs safe flea treatment from a vet and not a shampoo you buy over the counter. Cats hide their pain well- don't be fooled into thinking she is alright. Untreated, tapes will continue to be a problem.

kipper3972

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
thankyou!
omg thats a gr8 idea XD thankyou so much i will ring l8r on
ur a star thankyou.. my mum says she would be able to pick the medicine up
yay
lol
keep you posted

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Your cat needs to be seen by the vet. Talk to him and see if you can arrange a payment plan. Having a cat should involve a commitment to take care of it. If your aren't going to do that, then you don't need the cat. Find someone who wants the cat and can afford to take care of it, or arrange something so you can pay on a schedule at your vet's.

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

Unless you are a full client and have a good record with this vet, he or she will not prescribe medicine without seeing the cat. Worms are a serious issue and rob the cat of important nutrients. Your cat has a large host worm somewhere in her intestines and these rice-like kernels are segments of that host worm. Your vet will need to see the cat, weigh her and prescribe the meds. Plus your cat has fleas- tapeworms means fleas. So your cat really does need to see a vet so talk to your mom and tell her that if the kitty doesn't get help, she continue to get sick. She needs safe flea treatment from a vet and not a shampoo you buy over the counter. Cats hide their pain well- don't be fooled into thinking she is alright. Untreated, tapes will continue to be a problem.
Please understand that I was not telling her to contact A vet and get medicine prescribed without them seeing the cat. I was telling her to contact HER vet and see if they WOULD.

kipper3972

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
my cat doesnt have fleas lol and i am a frequent cusomer to the vets as i have 5 rabbits and 4 cats lol so they go quite frequently for treatemtns injections vaccines etc. i lyk the idea of ringing then i will continue from there. thanx for the post

kipper3972

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i am NOT getting rid of kipper she means the world to me i cant believ u wud suggest it :'( just cos im ill fdoesnt meanm i shud get rid of her.. i live with a family in my house so she is 18 and soo tame no WAY am i giving her away there is no better place for her than here .. u shud see how spoilt she is :p lol .. just cos im ill for a bit doesnt mean i cant look after her.. grrrr

lol sowi got a bit mad

kipper3972

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i never say i culdnt commit lol

mamacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Look, no one here is trying to attack you, but you have to understand that from what you are describing, it sounds as though Kipper should really see the vet. If your mom is willing to go pick up medicine from the vet, she might be willing to actually bring the cat to the vet to be seen, which is really the best thing, so why not just ask her and see what she says? We all understand that people get sick and aren't always able to do the things they need to, but you also said you couldn't take her in for "quite a while" and asked whether it could "wait a month or so," which suggests, at least to me, that there is something else at issue besides you being ill right now. We know you love Kipper and want to do what is best for her, so please ask your mom to take her in to see the vet.

kipper3972

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
sure
she just came in and i asked her.. the plan is i am ringing the vet and my mum is going to take her tommorow morning or tommorow afternoon.. and no there isnt anything else apart for being ill u just dont understand it lol.. sowi i got annoyed wen someone said i shuldnt have a cat :|

thankoo to sarah9 lol ur a star i took ur advice and it worked =] fankoo everyone for posting comments i will keep you posted

why do cats hide illnesses and what is the life expectancy of a normal tabby cat lyk kipper
? she is 18 and a half already.. XD
thankoo for posts
toodles

oh no! i just saw another worm thing crawling out her butt ahhh and she is hungry again is this a normal effect of worms? the worm is kinda rice like and it moves slowly but does move by cruching up the spreading out.. anyone know wat kind of worm this is?