Please help

Unbakedpegga

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all. I’ve posted here before but it’s been a good while. I have a 12 year old female mixed breed. Seems like over the last few months she is limping. She cannot get up on the bed so she grabs the bedspread and pulls herself up. I researched online and purchased T-Relief Extra Strenfth Pain Relief Oral drops and the tablets too. When I went to the directions on the bottle to see how much I called Allivet and told them the only directions ordered was for humans and children over 12 years old. Nothing for animals. called out of it and after going through multiple calls, I was told the pharmacist would call me back within 24 hours. He didn’t call mback. So I called again and I was told that they could not give me the dosage because they weren’t Drs. I said how can you sell me a medication that you said is for cats but does not have the dosag. They just repeated what they said before. I started looking on the internet and I swear I could not find any information on it. I honestly would take her to the vet but over the last few months I have spent at least $1000 on my beloved cat suffering with diabetes and kidney failure. I am 76 so my funds are extremely limited and I am trying to see if I could give her some of this med but don’t want to kill her trying to help her. So I am saying all of that to ask this question. Does any one know how I calculate the correct dosage? I would so appreciate it

suzeanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry, I don't know anything about the product you purchased and can't help with dosing. It sounds like your cat maybe has arthritis? There are a variety of cat joint supplements that are not very expensive, e.g., cosequin.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I agree with the above about using an OTC arthritic supplement for cats - such as Cosequin or Dasuquin. Most all pet stores carry at least one of them, I believe you may even find them at Walmart. On line ordering through the pet stores, Chewy, or Amazon are options too. And, dump, or return, that stuff you bought. I suppose you could call your vet and see if they are familiar with the product and what the proper dosage would be, but I personally would not use it.

Any of the arthritic supplements will probably take a couple of weeks to start to make a difference, so don't expect instantaneous results. But, if you don't start to see some improvement in her mobility, you will need to have her checked out by a vet in case it is something other than arthritis. X-rays would show if/where there is joint damage from arthritis.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Unbakedpegga

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I got this supplement after looking at some sites on YouTube and it seemed like this product was recommended more than once so I went with that. I specified something for pain that’s all probably why y’all haven’t heard of it. I’m also going get some of the supplements you mentioned. I wanted to get her something for the here and now

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I also found that same relief product you bought at Walmartpetrx.com. But, when it mentions dosage for pets, it specifically states to contact your vet. Given that the dosage for children also advises that a health professional be consulted, I think that the company/manufacturer doesn't want to advise the appropriate amount for either children or pets for possible liability purposes.

Unbakedpegga

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for taking the time to look that up. I called the company and they’re closed until Monday. I’m so worried about my cat her stomach is huge. She’s overweight and I lost her brother to weeks ago from diabetes and kidney failure. Theyre both 12 so I don’t know if she’s grieving or if she sick I thought maybe she has cancer. I’m going to take her to the vet tomorrow I know it will be expensive for him to do a full exam. And of course I’m worried that they’ll find something term she’s all I have now. I hav that medicine for her limping. Water water everywhere but not a drop to drink

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am so sorry about your other cat. Hopefully, your girl is fine. And, she is probably grieving the loss of her brother. Try not to worry too much about it - as it might very well be nothing serious.

Take that pain relief med with you and show it to your vet, maybe they will recognize it.

Keep us posted about what happens at the vets.

Unbakedpegga

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I took Gracie to the vet yesterday. He said her blood work was fine, he said there were no masses her lungs and heart sounded fine and that she had a uti that he gave me that she has to take for 10 days. Today she has been in my bed all day long eyes shut tight only getting up to go to litter box. And ystdy and today her appetite is off. I am usually unflappable but this has me upset. I thought about getting another cat or maybe two and putting them in the laundry room where she couldn’t get to them or visa versa but they could see each other. I wouldn’t think a kitten but maybe 3-4 months old. Do you think that is advisable, that it might perk her up? Or might it deepen this grief. It’s been almost 2 weeks. Should she be grieving that. long?