Please Help!

Berkleys-Kittens

Cat lover
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I adopted two kittens in July, and they’re about 9 months now. Three weeks ago, the long haired male began to get sick. He’s been having many symptoms, and the vets can’t figure out what’s wrong with him. We desperately want him back to his old playful self, so I was hoping someone might be able to help me. He constantly has a fever that goes down, and back up every few days. He’s very sluggish and slow, and likes to lay around all day, when usually he would be playfully. Some days he eats a lot, and others he doesn’t. He had bloodshot eyes, but with eye drops they’re improving. We want him better, and a typical fever should only last a few days, but with tomorrow he’ll officially have been sick for three weeks. We desperately want him better, and any help is greatly appreciated. We love him very much, and thank anyone who might have an idea what’s going on with them.

Thank you!

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Welcome to the site.

I'm going to throw out some thoughts;

Is he indoor only? Is he ingesting something he shouldn't? Coming into contact with something he shouldn't in a hobby room or workshop, is there fertilizer or bug killer that's been spread outside with fumes coming in, gasoline fumes, construction fumes in your house or from outside, do you have an air cleaner going, is his water bowl cleaned daily with fresh water, did you get new carpet or furniture, etc etc. have they taken xrays, done blood tests?

Have you tried a different vet? Would the vet be willing to consult with a university medical veterinary department?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Berkleys-Kittens

Cat lover
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! Welcome to the site.

I'm going to throw out some thoughts;

Is he indoor only? Is he ingesting something he shouldn't? Coming into contact with something he shouldn't in a hobby room or workshop, is there fertilizer or bug killer that's been spread outside with fumes coming in, gasoline fumes, construction fumes in your house or from outside, do you have an air cleaner going, is his water bowl cleaned daily with fresh water, did you get new carpet or furniture, etc etc. have they taken xrays, done blood tests?

Have you tried a different vet? Would the vet be willing to consult with a university medical veterinary department?
Thank you for your help! Here’s a bit about him! He’s an all indoor cat, and was very healthy and playful before. The vet did blood tests and found it was nothing genetic, but for a few days he did have a form of meningitis, but it’s been well over a week since he did, and his condition still isn’t improving much, despite the antibiotics everyday. He’s gotten a bit more active in the past three days, but this evening his fever has risen again. We’re very careful and don’t keep things around that might cause him to get hurt or ill. We haven’t used pesticides since we got them, and our workshop is outside. We have a flew plants, and the both of them would bite some off, but it was about a week and a half after that he started to get sick, so I don’t think it could’ve been that. No new carpet or furniture, and his water is constantly cleaned, as well as given fresh wet and dry food. It was already difficult to find a vet in our area that would accept a new patient, and it’s still a bit over 45 minutes away from our house. We have had multiple vets at the clinic look at him, and they all say they’ve never seen or heard of anything like it. It’s truly heartbreaking seeing a young kitten act lethargic like a 17 year old cat. If nothing else we ask for your prayers to help this sweet, handsome kitten finally feel better.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Another welcome to the site! :wave3: Has your vet mentioned the possibility of FIP? One of the reasons I asked is because it's more prevalent in kittens and young cats. Sending special thoughts and healing vibes your way. :vibes::vibes::vibes:
Please keep us updated on his progress.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Meningitis in Cats

FIP could trigger meningitis. Having said that, I was a little surprised that the vet threw out the diagnosis of meningitis but did not seem to react to it or follow up on it.