Please Help!

bells85

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So, I recently got my 1 year old cat spayed about 4 days ago. I also got a new kitten yesterday (8 weeks old).

I have the kitten confined in the bathroom with everything she needs blanket, bed, litter box food and water.

My older cat Penny, she heard the baby crying and got very angry and hid in the living room which she did not leave all day. She ended up peeing on the couch because she wouldn't leave the room. I brought her litter box and food in the living room which she is now using and eating. She still has her e-collar on.

I am keeping the baby away from her for about a week or even more until Penny is completely healed.

I feel like I made a huge mistake and I am so sad I disrupted Penny. Any ideas how I can try to make it better I am desperate. I do have FELIWAY (2) going in my house right now.

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can go ahead and introduce them. Your cat may hiss and run away, but over time they will get comfortable with one another.

Right now, your cat is used to being an only cat, so she will interpret the kitten as an interloper and feel slightly jealous.

I have been through this exact situation, and I find that adult cats accept kittens far more easily than they do other adult cats.

As for the kitten, she will look to Penny to mother her, and will be bewildered when she does not.

It really should not take too long for them to become good friends. There is no reason to wait for introductions. Your cat may be less anxious if she can check out who is meowing in the bathroom, and the kitten needs socialization.

Let us know how it goes! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bells85

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You can go ahead and introduce them. Your cat may hiss and run away, but over time they will get comfortable with one another.

Right now, your cat is used to being an only cat, so she will interpret the kitten as an interloper and feel slightly jealous.

I have been through this exact situation, and I find that adult cats accept kittens far more easily than they do other adult cats.

As for the kitten, she will look to Penny to mother her, and will be bewildered when she does not.

It really should not take too long for them to become good friends. Thete is no reason to wait for introductions. Your cat may be less anxious if she can check out who is meowing in the bathroom, and the kitten needs socialization.

Let us know how it goes! :)
Thanks so much for your response! You think I should introduce them even though Penny is still recovering? She still has her cone on. Is it safe for Penny so soon after surgery?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, it is safe!

Also, it is not necessary for Penny to wear the cone, especially if she has internal, dissolving stitches.

I would let her meet the new kitten without the cone for sure. It will get in the way, and possibly scare the kitten.

bells85

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One more thing! How long exposure should I have them meeting? 10 minutes at a time? I am getting mixed feed back!
how do i get Penny interested if she is just going to hide? What if she never gets interested and hides and the kitten takes over the house?

When the baby was first in the house yesterday penny came over heard her cry through the door and retreated immediately

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would play it by ear and see how they do. If your cat runs off mad, you can still let the kitten explore under supervision for a few minutes. Your cat may come back out of curiosity as well. Overall, expect this to take a few weeks.

Ultimately, the more exposure the better.

auntie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’m confused about this advice...I’m reading this thread since I’m also about to bring home a kitten (12 weeks old), and I already have an adult cat. Aren’t you supposed to isolate the new cat for, like, a week or more? And only very slowly & carefully exchange scents etc etc? Then at long last, you introduce them?

Why would the advice be different in this situation?

bells85

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Auntie--- I am confused about this advice too. It goes against everything I have read. The thing is that Penny (1 year old) was hiding and it was causing more anxiety to her not to see what was making all the noise. So I called my vet and asked what I should do. The vet also said to keep them separate since my 1 year old just got spayed. I felt so bad for penny I decided to do a meet and greet to see what happens. So I did a blanket swap first. She hissed and growled the next day I did it again. She hissed and growled then started to sniff and lick the blanket! So I decided to take the kitten out and have her play in the doorway of the room Penny was in from afar. Penny was very curious sat and watched the baby play. LAst night penny started coming out of the room (finally). to look for the baby so I am introducing them in small doses but keeping them separate most of the time. Penny finally went in the bedroom where the kitten has been sleeping with me for the past 3 days and Penny took a nap and was purring!!! So it is slow and painful but this is over the course of the last 4 days!!! Penny was more scared to smell the intruder and hear her than she was to finally see the 8 week year old baby. She still hisses but I will update you on progress

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Introducing a small kitten is different than introducing adult cats.

As I told bells85 bells85 , play it by ear, but her cat was stressed not knowing or seeing what was crying in the bathroom.

Every situation is different! I am glad to hear that your cat and kitten are adjusting so quickly. As I said, it's easier to introduce a kitten than another adult. :)