Please HELP!!!

mrsrdevereaux

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all. My DH and I rescued a sister and brother about a year ago. They were about a week or so, as their eyes had just opened. We had them both fixed about 6 months ago. Since then, the female (Squirell) will poop on the carpet, in the bath tub, on the rugs in front of the door and sometimes on the stone in front of the fireplace. I have three litter box's. (We have 5 cats total) Two have the kids and one doesn't. The very first day after I change the litter COMPLETELY, she is fine. We don't have a issue. After that, even with scooping all three morning and night, she does this. She is a super SWEET cat. No other issues but this one. I don't want to give her away either. #1 I RAISED her and #2 I don't want to be like...problem child, here you go someone else, deal with her. We've tried putting her in a HUGE wire crate at night and while we're gone, and that helps (obviously) I just think it's cruel. Any suggestions? Reasons why? How I can fix it? Like I said, I don't WANT to get rid of her, but my poor carpet!!!!!

Thanks guys!

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First thing is to take her to a vet. If a cat is experiencing pain when eliminating they will not use the litter box. In their mind, they think if they avoid the box the pain will disappear.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrsrdevereaux

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She goes just fine the other times. And in the crate I have a box for her too. She has no issues with it either. But I do think a vet check may be a good idea.

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She goes just fine the other times. And in the crate I have a box for her too. She has no issues with it either. But I do think a vet check may be a good idea.
Some cats will not poop where they pee. But you have several boxes so don't know if that is the issue.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
primula gives good advice. I always try to rule out medical issues (pain, etc) first. Are her paws ok? No pain in the paws?

I am guess it is a territorial insecurity because you have a lot of other cats. How does she get along with the other cats? Does she walk around confidently with her tail high? Or it is low? Does she walk tall or lower to the ground? Does she hide or avoid places or go anywhere? Does she go up in cat trees or up on anything high? Or stay on the ground or under things?

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Another thing to consider is that even 3 boxes for 5 cats may not be enough.  One per cat, plus one is the general recommendation.  Because you say she goes fine after complete litter changes I'm thinking this could be the problem.  It sounds like she wants it extremely clean.  You have ones with lids and one without so that is good.  Like mentioned above; some cats do not like to poop where they have peed.  (One of my cats is like this.  She wasn't as a kitten but as she got older.)  An electronic litter box might be a solution if you can't add more boxes.  

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would also add more litter boxes and place them in more private places for the cats. So in different rooms and in some more hidden places.

Some cats do not like to be disturbed.

Might as well try if possible.

I also have other ideas about building her confidence. We build confidence through play, food, height and love. Please step up play especially in areas she is going. After play feed either treats or a meal. Also, please if possible add some cat trees and scratching posts Especially near where she is going if possible). We want her to feel more ownership if possible. height also builds confidence. Finally, please try to be calm and confident and loving with her. I know how frustrating and upsetting it can be but cats can take on our emotions. We don't want to ever let a cat think we don't love them. Love builds confidence. 

Between primula and me and you we should be able to fix this. Cats do typically want to cover their scent so if she is more territorially secure she will most likely revert back to that behavior because she feels like she already owns the territory.

We'll be with you every step of the way so please feel free to ask anything anytime.