Please Help

andraleia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two cats that I adopted about a year ago.

In their previous situation, they had a large space, and a backyard.  One of them - Rosa -  had regular digestive issues, vomiting frequently, but was otherwise calm and happy.  The other was a very temperamental cat,  wanting quite a bit more attention than she was being given but often bristling at said attention, even going so far as to bite or hiss or scratch after a few minutes.

Since I adopted them, they have both changed for the better quite a bit.

Rosa has been vomiting quite a bit less since switching to foods like Halo and Candidae.  Minnie doesn't hiss or scratch or bite anymore, and has become a *huge* snuggler :)

That said... my roommates are having major issues with them, and it's at a point wherein they (and I) will be evicted in a month if things don't change.

Their issues are as follows:

Minnie's very regular meowing for attention.  I'm around as frequently as I can be and give her lots and lots of attention when I am.  However, whenever I'm out for the day, she becomes very vocal, meowing for cuddles and pets and diversions.

She especially likes to meow at their rooms.  They do not let her go into their bedrooms, ever.  She meows and scratches at the doors.

She and Rosa also will still vomit on occasion.

Here are my current solutions:

I'm going to start feeding them solely those two high-quality foods.  I was previously still mixing in a bit of some lesser-quality things on occasion.

I'm going to try out Feliway diffusers to calm down Minnie when I'm not around.

I plan to put up another scratching post for them to use, so there will now be two.

What else do you think I can be doing to help with the situation - especially Minnie's anxiety when she doesn't get the attention she wants?

basschick

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
the problem is you're assuming there's a solution, but i find some vocal cats are just vocal.  i realize for your situation this is very bad, but i doubt there's anything you can do about it.  our current cat has been yelling for attention and knocking on doors for over 17 years.  and every cat i've had has thrown up periodically, sometimes from hairballs and in two cases from IBS or pancreatitis, which is something the vet can prescribe for - either pepcid in doses for cats or a steroid.  eating good quality food won't make a cat not eat hair - or other things that make them throw up.

btw, i've known people who tried things like squirt guns to make the cats stop yowling, but with mixed results at best. 

can you leave the TV on in your room and get toys for active cats?  it may help keep the meower's mind off meowing. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

andraleia

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm working on toys.  I'll try to hook up a TV in my room for her.

What toys would you most recommend to distract a cat when her owner is not around?  I just ordered one of these -