PLEASE HELP

olivehead2323

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, my name is Olivia and about a year ago I rescued a black stray whom I named Lily. She has had a quick road to recovery (she had fleas and worms when I rescued her) but is now a healthy 5lbs, spayed, free of fleas and worms and plays like a normal 1 year old cat. Unfortunately, a few weeks ago my partner and I noticed her stool was becoming smelly again. We checked it out and sure enough, she was having diarrhea. I had just put her on new food so I changed it back. This didn't fix the issue. We have tried changing food multiple times now (grain free, chicken free, fish free, vegan, all natural) and nothing is working. Her appetite is the same, her coat still shines, she's active, puts on weight, doesn't drink or eat excessively and shows no signs of discomfort. I've taken her to 3 vets now and they have no idea what is wrong. It's extremely frustrating to have to pay hundreds of dollars for no answer. Now recently, her stool doesn't smell anymore but it's still very loose. I thought it might be getting better but I then discovered she peed on my bed. I am 20 weeks pregnant, and I cannot have this happening but I'm at a loss. Please, someone help me because I'm at the point where, if she urinated somewhere else that is not her litter box, I have no choice but to send her away, and she's my best friend....

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Smelly, soft poop is usually a food issue.  Have you tried an all wet diet for her?  That might help since a lot of kitties have problems with dry food.  Regarding the inappropriate peeing, she needs to be seen by the vet to rule out a urinary tract infection.  While you're there, you could ask for a sensitive tummy food for her to see if that helps.  I have a kitty who cannot tolerate an all grain-free diet, so he gets a little bit of Royal Canin Gastrointestinal HE to keep his poops firmed up.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It does sound like your cat needs to go to the vet.  What do you mean by a vegan diet?  That is NOT nutritionally appropriate for a cat.

cinqchats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cat poop smells. It is poop, after all.

If you're switching foods too quickly or abruptly that will cause loose stools and general digestive upset.

Cats cannot be on a vegan or vegetarian diet, They are obligate carnivores and cannot digest non-meat protein sources. They literally cannot absorb the nutrients from it.

paiger8

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Can you list the brands & flavors of the foods you've tried? If you can, we can look at the ingredients and see if there is a common ingredient that may be causing the poop issues.

Did you switch the foods slowly? Mix 1 part new, 3 parts old food, then 1/2 and 1/2 then 3 parts new, 1 part old. It will take a couple weeks to switch over slowly.