PLEASE HELP.

buglove007

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I took in a stray pregnant  cat she had her kittens a week ago,, the kittens seem fine but she doesn't. she is breathing really fast, laying without her kittens, she has blood in her poop throwing up and she went to the cat box but fell getting out. She looks like she is crying. I am taking her to the vet first thing tomorrow but need help now.

nora1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That doesn't sound good at all! I'm not an expert, but I would try to get her to drink!! You can also try canned tuna which should have a lot of "juice"/fluids if water doesn't interest her.

Do you have an emergency vet near you?

anne with cats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh she might not have been in very good condition when she got to you! Those kittens are probably using up what reserves she still has! If you can get a stool sample, put it in a baggie. Are you increasing her food intake? Food with a lot of meat as first ingredient, or just some meat like chicken, beef whatever you have now. They sell some kind of pet milk for adult cats at pet store. I hope it is nothing more than worms, and vet can determine from that point tomorrow. She could be getting dehydrated, especially if you are only/mostly feeding dry food. Hopefully Catwoman or Stefanz and several others that are more familiar with mamas and babies will come online soon. Are the kittens getting enough food? Do you see a lot of fleas?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

buglove007

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It got worse. She won't stand up her eyes look like she is dizzy. I am at the emergency vet now I'll keep updated.

anne with cats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hoping dehydration is the culprit - they will give fluids and any other antibiotics necessary. Sorry you had to go ER vet, but they are usually very good, at least when I have needed late night services. Please keep us posted! There are a lot of night owls on this site, besides international members.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Week olds can't be without mom for long either, I'm hoping they have a heat source while she is away.

Pls let us know asap so we can help.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
As already hinted, its crash emergency vet visit, as you surely know and are going to do.   Waiting till the clinic open, keep her warm, calm, and try to get her to drink water if possible. Use perhaps a dropper.

Keep the kittens warm, and prepare to feed them yourself.  Get home  kitten replacement milk, or goat milk... And suitable gears.  Look up   Raising Orphans, handrearing, etc, because as long mom is sick, you must take the charge to care for them.

Come back with further questions what help you need for taking care about the kittens.

Good luck!   @buglove007

*vibes!*

biancavd

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Any update? I hope mom is doing okay and is back with her kittens

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How's mom doing??   It's been over a day and we are all waiting on pins and needles!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

buglove007

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Not sure what happen. I thought I replied back? Hum. Well the vet said momma kitty has a bad bladder infection and possibly an infection in her uterus. They gave her really strong antibiotics. She has been doing a lot better. She's drinking water and eating a little. I have to bring her back in on Friday. But today I woke up and checked on her she has a lump in her belly. My mom thinks it might be because of her breast milk but I am not to sure. Where the lump is it looks like it's bruised and it is also bleeding. It looks like the blood is coming from her skin there isn't a scratch or anything. She isn't acting like it hurts or anything. Her doctor said to call of anything changes. I have been calling all day but nothing. I am talking her back to the vet in the morning.

anne with cats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That doesn't sound so good - you  did the right thing taking her in! Poor little thing, probably so worn out between litters and looking for food and a safe place! Can you call an ER vet and just ask, and tell them what happened - maybe stress that you don't want to take her away from her kittens again. And speaking of kittens...are you hand feeding them? They need to eat like every 2 hours!  And in mama's condition, she may too sore or weak. I hope Catwoman or Stefanz  come online soon -they are the pros!  And they will ask the same things, and possibly know what this lump and bleeding is about. 

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Can you possibly post a pic of the lump?

Remember kittens are only 10 days now and need a heat source and fed every 3 hours, and pottyed.

If you are unable to post a pic, can you describe it better, location, any redness or heat, etc?

How long now has mom been on antibiotics?