please help

gypsy04

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I've got a stray that hangs around the house been feeding little by little I've gotten it to trust me more and more

I'm wanting to take the cat in eventually after it
Trust me enough but I have a slight problem..

I have a cat that's a little younger then the the stray.. they stare at each other through the window every day without a problem in fact my cat waits for the stray at the window but what concerns me is I took my cat outside once to see the other cat .. they meowed at each other just meowing and without warning the stray bit my cat twice on the neck I picked my cat up and put him inside and the cat played on the porch my cat seems to really like the stray they never his at each other through the window.... did that bite mean the stray won't get along with my cat?

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to the forums and thank you so much for caring for this sweet kitty.  The bite to your indoor cat was probably territorial.  Your indoor cat was encroaching on the stray's territory.  Cats are extremely territorial and will fight for space. 

A few questions and then I will offer some suggestions:

1.  Do you know if the cat is male/female and if the cat has been spayed/neutered.  If the cat is not spayed/neutered you will either end of with kittens or the intact male will be even more territorial and possible want to fight.  This is all a result of hormones.  Also is your indoor cat spayed/neutered? 

2.  It is best to keep the cats separated until the stray has been checked by a vet.  You do not want it passing on illnesses to your cat that can happen through a bite or pass on parasites.  Once you get the cat vetted, you can also determine if it has been spayed/neutered and take care of that too.  Once the cat is spayed/neutered and the hormones have settled, the behavior usually settles too.  So keep the cats separated until you have had the stray to the vet.  If you get him to the vet soon, you can then just bring him home and place him in a room of his own for awhile so he can adjust to indoor life.

3.  There are lots of links to cat to cat introductions.  You will want to read them and watch the videos.  Some cats will adjust right away while others can take a long time.  Having all cats spayed/neutered will greatly help the situation.  I will be happy to post the links to cat to cat introductions once you are ready for that step. 

4.  Do you plan to trap the cat or can you pet the cat and therefore pick it up and place it into a carrier?  If the cat is more feral like you may need a humane trap to help get him to the vet.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Not necessarily.  Looking at each other through the window, neither cat cold smell the other.  Smell is very important to cats, so I suspect that once they did smell one another, the outside cat took objection to the inside cat.  It could have been that the inside cat's smell was simply unfamiliar.

When the outside cat is ready to come inside, you will need a room for his use only - at least at the beginning.  He needs to acclimate to being inside before the excitement of meeting a new roomie.  Plus you need to keep them separated until the newbie is vet-checked (no sense in spreading worms and other nasties).

He needs to be given a period of time to adjust to being inside and introductions between them have to go slowly.  I can be a long process, so please be patient.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gypsy04

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well I'm currently trying to figure out if it's a boy or a girl each time I go outside to feed it of a morning my cat is a male tabby he's not fixed because he's not old enough is what I was told. The stray is also a tabby .. the stray is still shy and don't fully trust me yet so it's keeping it's distance for now

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What a cute little smushy nose!  Both look like white with tabby  markings.

Fingers crossed that they get to know one another well with little fuss and muss.