PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cierraannn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This morning his right eye had gotten so big it busted! And it bled for a little but not very much and a big glob of gross clear stuff was coming out it freaked me out!!  It Saturday so no vet are open. Was this because I used a warm rag to wipe his eyes? Is this a good thing?  And yesterday we went to the vet and the Dr. wasn't n but they gave us drops for his eyes too it seams to be helping his left eye but his right eye just keeps getting worse.

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
Is there an emergency clinic in your area?
You need to call around and see if you can find another vet that is open in your area.

We had a kitten with in a similar situation 3 yrs ago. Essentially, the ruptured eye is now considered a serious open wound. It will be VERY suceptible to other infections. And, while I cannot be 100% sure, it is very likely the eye will need to be completely removed and the eyelids sutured up (kittens adapt remarkably well to this.) Doubtful anyone will do this surgery on such a young kitten, but, the eye needs to be heavily medicated until surgery can safely be done.

What kind if eye drops did the vet give you?

cierraannn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She gave my eye drops for the pink eye i think and will do because its looking BAD! And is getting worse.

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
What is the name of the medication?

Yes, the "pink eye" is very likely due to the Herpes Virus. This virus is the most common cause of Upper Respiratory Infections in cats (though there are several other viruses that cause URIs as well.)

You can also get baby started on L-Lysine (can be found at grocery stores/pharmacies.)
It is an anti-viral medication. Baby can have 250mg twice daily. (We just started 2 6-wk old kittens on this doseage...they weigh 1 lb a piece.)
Baby needs to also be on oral antibiotics, an anti-viral eye drop and an antibiotic eye drop.

kittywhiskers

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Does your vet not have an automated message giving an emergency number when they are closed? I do hope everything goes well for you. X

cierraannn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No there is no emergency phone number given do you know if there is anything i can do for temporary untill i can get him in?????

cierraannn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The name of the eye drops is Gentamicin Sulfate and i got his eyes open with a warm wet rag.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Until a vet sees him it is impossible to know whether the actual eye has ruptured or whether it is an ulcer or abscess. Meanwhile, the most important thing is to keep it clean. washing it with a weak solution of antiseptic (or your pharmacy may have something gentle) and using sterilised gauze or cotton, washing your hands before and after. And stop him rubbing at it or even washing his face. You can make an e-collar out of a large circle of cardboard and tie it round hi neck. Make it just deep enough so his nose tip can be seen from the side. At this stage he could easily destroy the last chance he has of sight by clawing at his eye.

L-lysine is good for use against herpes but there is no way of telling without a test whether that is the problem. There are several bacteria that infect eyes - my Bluebelle tested positive for chlamidia and mycosoma but negative for herpes, and her eyes looked awful when I got her. They are now clear, so there is hope.

cocheezie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Call the Humane Society or the SPCA closest to your location. They should be able to tell you (1) where the closest emergency clinic is, and (2) if there is another vet service "on call" in your area.

mycatwasthebest

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
kansas city is a couple hours away from you, right?-I would call around there and see if they knew of somewhere between you and them if u can't go there.This really shouldn't wait any longer, and no regular vet is going to be open tomorrow or Monday either. Poor kitten.

cierraannn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It turned  out to be glaucoma and they took out his right eye his left is getting better he is stitched up from his little ear to his nose but is doing very well thank you all so much you helped us out tremendously i will try to post pictures of him soon!!!!

rachelinaz

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Glad you got him in. Poor little guy.

It turned  out to be glaucoma and they took out his right eye his left is getting better he is stitched up from his little ear to his nose but is doing very well thank you all so much you helped us out tremendously i will try to post pictures of him soon!!!!

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so glad to hear he had the eye removed, after the bursting episode, it sounded unsavable to me.

However, honestly, not that it matters now, but glaucoma doesn't sound quite right.

Regardless though, it needed to come out and he will do fine with one eye :)

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So awesome to hear that he's on the mend!  Good for you for getting him the medical attention he needs.  I know many one-eyed (or blind) kitties that get along perfectly fine and are very healthy.  Be sure to look for infection and to watch the other eye and keep it healthy.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
That's good, I'm glad to hear they could save one eye.

I've got a one eyed cat too, it doesn't slow him down a bit.

We should start a thread for one-eyed kitties........