Please Help!!

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Since we trapped the *leader* a couple weeks ago and the shelter worker allowed him to escape, none of the ferals will go near the traps.
Sounds like you need to use a drop trap and if you aren't working with a TNR group, I would encourage you to try to find one in your state. The benefit of a TNR group is that they could pull their resources and hopefully assist you in attempting the entire colony to be TNRed. The local shelter most likely would take the cats and simply euthanize them. Remember that these cats are following their instincts and they deserve a chance to live (even outdoors) over being euthanized. Removal of cats just gives an opportunity for other intact cats to come in their place.

In addition, it is wise to not feed for a couple of days prior to trapping so that the cats are really hungry and more likely to go into the trap (if anyone else in the neighborhood feeds these cats..they would also have to stop feeding them during that time). If the cats know that if they don't go in the trap, they will still be fed, they are obviously going to wait. Another option is to start putting the food in the traps but having the trigger of the traps set so the trap does not go off. Once the cats are more comfortable going into the traps, you could then set it to go off.

Warm, deboned, deskinned KFC is a favorite bait here.

Below is a list of TNR groups by state:

http://www.alleycat.org/orgs.html

As for Allister...it great that you have a sighting of him. Even if the other cats were not visible, I'm sure that their scent is all over your property and that is what is keeping Allister from running to you. Can you attempt to trap him again in the area where you are seeing him?? It's obvious he wants to come home but needs some assistance.

Good Luck.

Katie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

giabella

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by TNR1

Sounds like you need to use a drop trap and if you aren't working with a TNR group, I would encourage you to try to find one in your state. The benefit of a TNR group is that they could pull their resources and hopefully assist you in attempting the entire colony to be TNRed. The local shelter most likely would take the cats and simply euthanize them. Remember that these cats are following their instincts and they deserve a chance to live (even outdoors) over being euthanized. Removal of cats just gives an opportunity for other intact cats to come in their place.

In addition, it is wise to not feed for a couple of days prior to trapping so that the cats are really hungry and more likely to go into the trap (if anyone else in the neighborhood feeds these cats..they would also have to stop feeding them during that time). If the cats know that if they don't go in the trap, they will still be fed, they are obviously going to wait. Another option is to start putting the food in the traps but having the trigger of the traps set so the trap does not go off. Once the cats are more comfortable going into the traps, you could then set it to go off.

Warm, deboned, deskinned KFC is a favorite bait here.

Below is a list of TNR groups by state:

http://www.alleycat.org/orgs.html

As for Allister...it great that you have a sighting of him. Even if the other cats were not visible, I'm sure that their scent is all over your property and that is what is keeping Allister from running to you. Can you attempt to trap him again in the area where you are seeing him?? It's obvious he wants to come home but needs some assistance.

Good Luck.

Katie
We ARE working with a feral rescue group. That's who loaned us the traps. They will take the cats to their vet to be neutered. They are ALL males. We don't want these cats harmed ~ just out of the way long enough to get Allister in. The supervisor of the rescue group has 2 homes with a lot of land in the country. She said the cats could stay there.

We've tried chicken, salmon, tuna fish ~ NOTHING will get these cats in those traps since we caught the *leader* and he got away. We stopped feeling them and that's breaking my heart too. They look at us confused ~ as if to say "what did we do?" This whole ordeal has been a nightmare.

We've been setting traps in the areas where Allister was spotted last and we can't catch him either. We've gone 19 days with hardly any sleep. We walk around during the day talking to neighbors and handing out flyers. At night, we're setting the traps and sitting up hoping Allister makes a move to come in. We're at our wits end. If only Allister would come home. I don't know how much longer we can keep up this pace.

barbb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish I could help you, knowing how much you care for both your kitty and the feral kitties. Your heart is in the right place.

I am so happy to hear that you saw your Alistair too. It has to be driving you crazy that he is so close and so far away at the same time.

The only thing I can think of for you, is to create an outside space for Alistair with his toys and his fur (if you have some from a brush, or some of the other cats' fur from your house) and blankets that smell like you, and make sure it is away from the other ferals. You would want to make this space on or under something like a picnic table in an area sheltered by trees or woods. You will really have to make sure this area is not the ferals' area- you mentioned they "come out of nowhere" so you may need to really sit and observe the colony's movement.

Hopefully he will find this place and hang there and you will be able to approach him very slowly without looking directly at him. Remember he is an outside kitty now, so any direct stare will be interpreted as a challenge. He will not recognize you. If you are able to get him to hang out at this new spot, you may be able to reestablish trust and rapport very slowly and with his things around him; or alternatively either set a trap there and get him, or throw a big blanket or net over him and get him that way.

As Katie said, moving the ferals' food was to help move them altogether. Now that they are not being fed, which is appropriate, the only other thing I can think of would be to also move their "things" away from the house to see if you can get them comfy in an alternate spot.

It does take a while but this situation looks like a standoff, so maybe this will work. Possibly if you have a sympathetic neighbor with a quiet yard very nearby, you can enlist them to help you create your new "outside home" for Alistair in their yard in a cubby-hole area using your things. The further away from the ferals while still in proximity to you, the better.

giabella

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Allister was found in one of the traps at 4:45 this morning. Today was 3 weeks to the day he went missing. We couldn't be happier. He's thin and a little scratched up, but seems fine. He'll be seeing the vet tomorrow morning.

I'm so happy to have found this site. You guys are the BEST! Thanks for all your support and good advice.

barbb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am SO SO glad to hear that!! I was so worried about your kitty!! Congratulations!!!! Let us know how he is recovering!!

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by giabella

Allister was found in one of the traps at 4:45 this morning. Today was 3 weeks to the day he went missing. We couldn't be happier. He's thin and a little scratched up, but seems fine. He'll be seeing the vet tomorrow morning.

I'm so happy to have found this site. You guys are the BEST! Thanks for all your support and good advice.
That is just the best news ever, I am so glad that you found him.

giabella

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Allister got a clean bill of health from the vet. He had to take antibiotics for a week and was given a dewormer pill just to be on the safe side.
Sorry I haven't written sooner. We've had 2 deaths in the family since Allister returned home.
Thanks for all the support and well wishes.

giabella

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Now that Allister is on the mend and gaining weight, we have a new problem. All of the feral cats have disappeared except one small male. He sits on the porch and cries all day. We give him food and water but he's obviously missing his family.
He is one of three siblings who showed up one day as tiny kittens ~ already wild and afraid of humans. They would show up every couple weeks or so but for the past 6 months had been staying pretty close.

It's the strangest thing. When Allister was trying to come home, they fought him off but as soon as he was back inside, they all left. Only this one cat remained and now it's breaking our hearts to see him alone out there. We've been trying for the longest time to catch him, but it's impossible. I keep hoping the other cats will return.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Now that Allister is on the mend and gaining weight, we have a new problem. All of the feral cats have disappeared except one small male. He sits on the porch and cries all day. We give him food and water but he's obviously missing his family.
He is one of three siblings who showed up one day as tiny kittens ~ already wild and afraid of humans. They would show up every couple weeks or so but for the past 6 months had been staying pretty close.

It's the strangest thing. When Allister was trying to come home, they fought him off but as soon as he was back inside, they all left. Only this one cat remained and now it's breaking our hearts to see him alone out there. We've been trying for the longest time to catch him, but it's impossible. I keep hoping the other cats will return.
Hi Giabella....hopefully given what happened with Allister (btw...great to hear that he is back home) I would continue to try to trap. Perhaps one day it will be the right day and this male will find his way into the trap.

Katie

giabella

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by TNR1

Hi Giabella....hopefully given what happened with Allister (btw...great to hear that he is back home) I would continue to try to trap. Perhaps one day it will be the right day and this male will find his way into the trap.

Katie
We're hoping that will happen, but I don't think it will.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

We're hoping that will happen, but I don't think it will.
Then trap and fix every other stray so that he is the only one that is intact...

Katie