Please Help! Worm and flea problem.

ChunkyNaomBaby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So my cat has Naom has been acting weird lately. I found some fleas on him and his sisters a couple days ago, and I still need to get a flea treatment. Today I was watching him closely and I saw a worm in his poop. It was skinny, white, and about 2 inches long. It was also moving around.
I don’t even know what to do. does anyone have any suggestions for an over the counter flea medication and a dewormer. I don’t know if I can afford going to the vet right now. I will probably have to treat all three of my cats, because they share 2 litter boxes. I just need some advice on how to get rid of the fleas and the worms without putting me into more debt.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you call the vet they may be able to suggest a safe dewormer. They may also be willing to let you just bring in a poop sample. Most pet supply places do sell good dewormers and flea treatments that also protect against some parasites. You need to get the right thing per weight. Your vet should have their weight in the records or you can weigh them if needed. To do that , weigh yourself, then weigh yourself holding the kitty. Then do the math and the difference between the two weights will tell you what the kitty weighs. Advantage two is an over the counter flea treatment that my vet has had us use at times. It worked well. Bayer also makes a tapeworm dewormer that is over the counter that my vet suggested. I don’t know if you can give both at the same time but your vet should be willing to advise over the phone and you could call the company that makes it to be safe. The flea treatment needs to be the right one for kitten, small cats, large cats etc. and gives age and weight allowed in the packaging. Be sure you wash all bedding and vacuum well too. Fleas and parasites do come around! I’m so sorry you are having to deal with that. I think we all go through this at some point.
I have seen the Advantage two for sale at Chewy, Petsmart and even Walmart. I’m sure other places carry it too. Maybe even tractor supply. You can price shop for the best deal. If you can bathe your kitties, that can work for the fleas too. If you need info on bathing, please post back or you can do a search here on the site. There are posts and articles here about that if needed. Please do keep us updated. I hope all are cleared quickly.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ChunkyNaomBaby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I was able to see my other cat go to the bathroom, and turns out she has worms as well. I managed to get a picture. What type of worms do you think they are?
C3ABF4AF-CDB7-4BF1-9456-7326C68E586C.jpeg
9936A715-6A49-4593-81D6-47E73DAC90B1.jpeg

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't waste money on "alternative" flea/worm treatments. You will probably still need to also buy the recommended medicine. Worms can trigger major health issues and they cost more expensive.

I recommend Stronghold if you are in the USA its name is Revolution. Revolution Multi might be better as they treat more parasites. If you can give pills, a few days later also Bayer's Tapewormer dewormer pill. If you can't give pill, Profender from Bayer treats intestine parasites including Tapeworm. Profender doesn't treat fleas, Stronghold/Revolution does but they have tapeworms listed.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't waste money on "alternative" flea/worm treatments. You will probably still need to also buy the recommended medicine. Worms can trigger major health issues and they cost more expensive.

I recommend Stronghold if you are in the USA its name is Revolution. Revolution Multi might be better as they treat more parasites. If you can give pills, a few days later also Bayer's Tapewormer dewormer pill. If you can't give pill, Profender from Bayer treats intestine parasites including Tapeworm. Profender doesn't treat fleas, Stronghold/Revolution does but they have tapeworms listed.
I second the Revolution Plus suggestion. My kittens didn't have fleas but they did have roundworms. They have been on Revolution Plus for a few months and no issues since. They were given Profender as well by the vet but that is a one time treatment to knock out the worms the next day. Revolution Plus treats fleas and (I think) five types of worms including heartworms which are a killer if not found early.