Please help with 15 year old cat urinary problem

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are guessing that. We even talked about tumors and cancer. We are avoid the test with the camera because her age and Asthma. Its been almost 2 years since this all started. She is like your Cat fine one day then blood the next. When do you have to pick her up? How many infections has she had so far?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittybella

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Precious has been at the hospital since 630 this morning and it is now going on 3pm. So far they have only gotten a urine sample through her bladder and it was blood free...as suspected...so now we wait for the free catch sample.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know Cocos urine test was blood free also and I saw blood the same day. Does she get alot of blood when you see it? Does anyone else have a female Cat with these problems besides both of us?

kittybella

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
mews2much...So far she is hanging in there. I have only had the problem with the blood one time and yes it was a lot. She is on orbax now and so far she is much cheerier and more herself. She has not had an episode again, although this morning it looked like she was about to. I will see how it goes. I hope she get through the day. I'm going to post a question about orbax though incase ppl miss it in this post. I will also ask you. Have you ever been given orbax? I have the green pill to give her once a day. The vet said I could dissolve it in water and put in her food, but when I looked it up online it says not to be given with food! I called back the vet and she said it was fine. Do you know anything about this?

How is Coco by the way???

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for asking about Coco. She dosent want to eat the C/D or Royal Canin Urinary now. She keeps trying to steal their food. Coco has had Orbox before and I did giver her a kittle food with it. I need to ask the vet if I can change Antibiotics. Coco is barfing within 5-10 Minutes of giving her the cefa like she did with the Clavamox. We might go to Baytril now. I never disolved the orbox before andit worked fast. it was for a Uri and Infection when she took it. She has not had it for her Bladder Infection. I am glad your Cat is better. We must be the only ones with female Cats with the problems.

ms.blackie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You are not the only one that a female cat with UTI repeated
infections. My female cat MS. Blackie who is now about 4 1/2 has had
a terrrible time with it for 1 - 1/2 yrs. She has not had any since
Jan. 2008. I was also at my wits end with it.
I used different antibiotics which by the way was only a temporary
relief because as soon as she would be finished with it after 2 wks.
it would start all over again. If your cat is throwing up after antibiotic,
I had this too. I found out that if she ate and then I gave the antibiotic
after like 45 minutes it would stay down, if it was a empty stomach
she would throw up every time.
Well I really dont know exactly how I gotten under control.
I do buy the Nutro orange bag for UTI support dry food and will
continue. I do think there is something to it. I also feed 3 oz. of canned
each day a in 2-3 servings with lots of distilled water added.
Good luck folks. I am pulling for you.
Brenda

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks,
We are waiting for the Vet to call back about switching to another Med. She wont eat her food and tries to steal the other Cats food. She can not smell her food. This happens everytime she has the Antibiotic.

kittybella

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello

Just wanted to post a quick update on Precious. She is still taking the orbax and has not had any urination issues. She seems much more like herself. She has another week or so left of antibiotics. She does seem to be grooming her backside a lot though, and for the first time ever has not had the "runs" from the medicine...which is unusual. I don't know...something is different about her grooming and the times when she seems down in the dumps, but over all she seems like herself. I guess we will see what happens after the meds stop.

Mews2much....how is Coco doing?

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Coco is on Baytril now and so far its ok. We had to stop the other Med because she threw it up no matter what. She has 2 more weeks on the Baytril. She started it on Friday. The Vet told me that Orbox and Baytril are aot alike. I am glad your Cat is ok right now. I am worried when Coco goes off the Baytril the problem will come back. What other Antibiotics did she take before?